Why didn't the scientists ever make any effort to communicate with The Thing...

Why didn't the scientists ever make any effort to communicate with The Thing? Even when they realize that it's intelligent, they still keep trying to blow it to fuck.

Come to think of it, why didn't The Thing communicate with THEM? If it really wanted to get off the planet, it could have just told them that and asked them for help.

Other urls found in this thread:

thething.wikia.com/wiki/The_Thing_(video_game)
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiocordyceps_unilateralis
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It didn't want to get off the planet.
It was making a ship so it could fly off to a big city to infect more living things, not to leave the planet.
The whole point of the thing is to fly planet to planet and infect/ take over all life as if it was some kind of virus or spore.

It had no need for communication or planetary resources.

>It was making a ship so it could fly off to a big city to infect more living things, not to leave the planet.

We don't know if that's what its intentions were. Diabeetus just knew that was the worst case scenario if the creature made it out of the facility and went to a larger populated area. For all we know it could've just been trying to return to its planet.

Meant for

>why doesn't cancer just tell us what it wants?

It wasn't a virus. It was an intelligent creature capable of plotting and manipulation. It could talk in human form; isn't that enough?

Really gets my knickers off..

Why talk to the literal parasite?

I wonder the same thing. It could talk, after all.

Could you imagine making the Thing fall in love with you? Just think of the sex. Every single cell would dedicate itself to making you cum.

Imagine.

There's no way to positively prove that Childs was the thing or not at the end.

Childs was The Thing

Explain

Well he's black so he isn't human either.

>inb4 Macready filled the bottle with gasoline thoery

How did Childs/Thing dressed up so quickly then? The place explodes and two minutes later Childs walks up to Macready.

False, and this is a fan theory, but the writers of the movie did not intend for this to be the case. The ending is simply both of them sitting down, realizing that they are dead no matter what and just sharing one last drink before the inevitable as they starve / freeze to death without hope of rescue.

Why didn't they suck each other off to have a last nut before they die. They obviously don't trust each other because they know one of them is the Thing.

thething.wikia.com/wiki/The_Thing_(video_game)

This is canon.

I hate it when video games are canon.

There's a horror movie with a monster that's pretty much a socially curious and egotistical The Thing. It's pretty much entirely forgotten now and got shit reviews when it came out but I found it neat.

Men fear what they do not understand.

>We don't know if that's what its intentions were
literally explained in the novel

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown

I'm looking for a video of it so I can watch it. Why do faggots insist on talking over games they play? Nobody wants to hear their annoying voice or listen to them crack shitty jokes or point out what's going on.

replace fear with love

Hate what they can't conquer

replace love with having sex.

Macready is the thing

Was great when playthroughs were without commentary.

It's like their ego won't allow them to stop trying to insert themselves into the entertainment. They don't realize we're watching for what they're playing and not them.

>They don't realize we're watching for what they're playing and not them.
> completely missing the point of playthroughts
just search for silent playthrough you fucking autist

Most viewers of LP's nowadays actually watch it for the personality of the person playing it.
Sad, but that's just how it is. I'd call you autistic, if it wasn't true how many YouTubers are annoying as fuck.

Found the let's player.

I've thought about the nature of the Thing's intelligence quite a bit. I believe it's intelligent, but not intelligent like a social creature. It's more like what would happen if a shark evolved intelligence. It doesn't have technology of its own - the ship that crashes is the ship of some other creature it's killed. What's happening is that it's able to copy brains with such accuracy that it can make zombies. The Thing itself doesn't have a comprehensive understanding of what the zombie is saying or doing. It couldn't carry on a conversation or communicate complex ideas. It's more like a person using an OS without understanding code themselves.

The question becomes why do these zombies never rebel. Maybe the Thing can sense that reaction and will counterreact before they're able to. Maybe there's a sort of teaching process that goes on between the Thing and zombie-mind, where the zombie mind tries to rebel and the Thing punishes it until it cooperates. If the zombie becomes unmanagable the Thing can "reboot" back to a previous state and try something else.

>It couldn't carry on a conversation or communicate complex ideas.

I just realized this is misleading. I mean that the Thing itself couldn't carry on a conversation through a zombie. The zombie however could do anything that it could before being copied.

try searching like "gamename longplay"
longplays usually don't have a whining faggot talking over the game footage

Should I say whats up guys and give an introduction or just play...

WHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTSSSSSSSSSSSUP GUYS

Child is not even breathing in the final scene while McReady looks like a chimney

I don't buy the gasoline theory. My main tells are the color of the coat, but mostly Macready's reaction. To me the fact that he felt the need to kind of test him a little and then seemed suspicious after makes me think he knew the jig was up. To me the question is why didn't Childs just chimp out on him if he was a Thing?

This is entirely wrong and you have an autistic devotion to your dumb idea. As shown with the booking blood experiment, the thing parasite infects the host on a cellular level until it is completely assimilated. It uses conversation to try and prolong it's survival and blend in, as shown in the movies.

What you're thinking of is some kind of cordiceps, but the thing assimilates the host entirely.

The chess scene is foreshadowing for the final scene

Why is Childs wearing different clothes in the end than?

Get the flamethrowers, it's trying to infiltrate Sup Forums!

i could post that frame from Moebius and O'Bannon's "The Long Tomorrow", but i'd get banned.

I just looked it up. The comic seems pretty hilarious and witty.

That wouldn't be sensible, he had already proven to be to be pragmatic enough to take out the other forms of the thing and had already alluded to suspecting that Child was one as well. If Child was the thing, then it's best bet would be to play the waiting game and wait for the cold to take Macready, then it could attempt to salvage a ship or refreeze for the investigation/rescue team.

quite a few suspiciously pro-alien posts ITT...

AYY LAMOS

Why didn't they just go along with the Thing and help it get home? All that death and destruction seems like a needless waste. Humans were the bad guys yet again.

This is attempting to give the thing human emotions, it wanted to eat them for breakfast.

Normally you have to add commentary or youtube takes it down as a copyright violation

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiocordyceps_unilateralis

It doesn't need to be self aware

i doubt that little craft it was building could be capable of interplanetary travel. the materials alone could not withstand space conditions

Don't forget that this isn't a horror film. It's a sci-fi film, and not a very good one at that.

that's retarded the thing would have childs memories and know that gasoline doesn't taste normal