Why does everyone hate this band?

Why does everyone hate this band?

Because they're shit

/thread

I've seen people on Steve Hoffman Forum defending Journey. They do apparently have fans.

soyboys can't handle it

dad-rock radio-friendly bullshit

soy-o-boy detected

haha well memed, consider your post upboated (^;

It's not their fault, but for poorfags like me who can't afford satellite or a good phone, they are super overplayed on normie radio. They're more overplayed than the Eagles, Zeppelin, and the Stones. Honestly, Iheartradio, Cumulus, and Entercom/CBS are why Terrestrial radio is lousy.

>dadrock
Try momrock?

Their most popular song is complete trash.

Their first couple of albums are pretty good, when they were a Prog band

kys
Journey is melodic prog hard rock

Steve Perry's voice is hard for anyone to take. The main reason though is that they were literally manufactured by Columbia as a song factory and their biggest hit was stolen from an Olivia Newton-John song (not the lyrics, the title).

I hate that song so much.

I think the rap on them is based on a perception that they took edgy rock, polished it up, sanded down all of the edginess, and were basically a commercial sellout band. While the critics scorned them, they laughed all the way to the bank.

>Journey is melodic prog hard rock
hahaha

Steve Perry's musical heroes were people like the Bee Gees and classic soul like Marvin Gaye and Aretha Franklin. He didn't like any rock harder than America or Bread, so once they hired him, any chance of actually being a rock band was done.

Separate Ways >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Don't Stop Believing

I hate them a lot, but he's not wrong. They're like a wildly shitty variant of Styx.

Styx and The Babys are far superior.

It's horrible commercial pop rock that white trash teens had sex to in the early 80s.

Frontiers [Columbia, 1983]

For those of you who were truly hoping the jig was up this time, I'll remind you all of how much worse it could be--this top 10 album could be outselling Thriller or Flashdance or Pyromania. My suggestion is for Steve Perry to run as a moderate Republican from, say, Nebraska where his oratory would be well-received, and then, having shed his video game interests, ram the tape tax through. D+

Street Talk [Columbia, 1985]

The head Journeyman's cameo on "We Are The World" reminded me of what I'd missed, which was the musical equivalent of gastroenteritis. Pat Boone never learned his lesson, so why should Steve Perry? Oversinging signals not soul, but will and desperation. Upped a notch for good intentions and in case Sam Cooke has finally taught him a lesson. C+

not very nice way to talk about your parents

I unironically want you to suffer. Christgau is such a bad fucking writer

He's right about Journey though. ;)

Beating up on Journey is like beating up on someone with Down's Syndrome and bragging about it.