Criticized prog rock for being "wank"

>criticized prog rock for being "wank"
>listens to jazz

wank is fun sometimes
fast rapping and shredding and shit
jazz isn't always like that though

It's only rockist jazz casuals that do that. Funny thing is most of them listen to Free Jazz which is objectively the wankiest genre of all time.

"Wank" is such a meaningless criticism. I wouldn't take seriously anyone who actually uses the term.

wank is music made to show off technicality at the expense of any emotional or intellectual value

you've never felt god

The problem with stuff like prog or like 80s guitar virtuosos is that the stuff is often technical yeah but only from a hard to play perspective not necessarily from what you're listening to. So playing a pentatonic scale inhumanly fast is impressive, but if your music doesn't go beyond that like add an interesting set of rhythms or change keys or fuck around with modes or change how the notes are delivered, it's wank. Wank only seems complex but rarely ever is actually complex or has that much depth to it.

>criticizes music for being music
>listens to music

post link nigger faggot

>wank is music made to show off technicality at the expense of any emotional or intellectual value
but what if an artist does this intentionally and explicitly as to channel an intentional effort against making music with emotional/human value (this intention itself being the art and meaning).

>wank is music made to show off technicality at the expense of any emotional or intellectual value
The problem is that the two aren't mutually exclusive though. Not to mention the fact that you would be an idiot to assume an artist's intent beyond what he has said himself about a piece.

Technical prowess is as valid and enjoyable an asset as emotional value.

>Free Jazz
>objectively the wankiest genre of all time.
It's literally the easiest form of "jazz" to ever exist. Bebop is the definition of wank in a jazz context to the extent that the 20 years of development that followed it were a direct response against that wankiness. Get your shit together.

when I hear wankery I think of shit like steve vai and joe satriani

prog/jazz soloing is a lot better

>listen to some music
>don't understand it after listening to it once in the background
>call it "emotionless wank" every time it comes up
feels good to be patrician

kek

>It's literally the easiest form of "jazz" to ever exist.
What does this even mean?
>Bebop is the definition of wank in a jazz context
What does this even mean?
>to the extent that the 20 years of development that followed it were a direct response against that wankiness.
Completely wrong
>Get your shit together.
You first

except i should understand it pretty quickly..

>I-I DON'T UNDERSTAND YOU, SO YOU'RE WRONG ;_;
Get your shit together.

>someone on Sup Forums disagrees with me about something
>ask what music he likes
>listen to the first minute of the album he posts
>call it emotionless wank and never listen to it again

>shitpost about an artist I've never heard but I think I'd dislike based on their image or fanbase
>someone asks what I dislike about their music
>tell them it's just emotionless wank
sometimes I actually do get tired of winning

Prog is music by aspiring jazz musicians who are proficient at playing their instruments but are unable to improvise. There's nothing wrong with either genre.

how is playing whatever more wanky than clinging to some formula from 20 years ago?

>unable to improvise
>"nothing wrong"

>thinks free jazz is just "playing whatever"
>thinks it's possible or meaningful to compare entire subgenres based on which is "more wanky"
>thinks the phrase "more wanky" has any meaning at all
Just wow

nice meme watermark you newfag

>has his head up his ass to this extent
there are different forms of free jazz you know. and none of them is objectively the wankiest genre.

hahahaahhahahahahahahhahahahahahhahaahahahaahahhaahahahahahahhhahahahahhahahahahahahahhaahhahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa

not an argument

No shit dumbass. That's the whole point.

That's... that's just rude! Thought you were the the first guy calling it wanky.

What the fuck do rock guitarists even do besides wank the pentatonic scale?

If anything, technical skills means more to music than the artists' feelings. I bet you listen to a lot of shit punk and black metal bands that because of "the feelings they made me feel", despite they not being able to even play their instruments, and your edgy laugh just confirmed it.

>implying prog rock isn't soy

Missed the point, fag. And prog as a genre (including the musicians) are far away from soy, since they know how to compose and play their shit.

>The music couldn’t get more white—or more unfashionable. Twenty-minute songs performed by earnest young men trying to sound like an orchestra, hopping from one instrument to another, or playing several at once: this was large-scale, ambitious music meant to accompany grand lyrics and stage spectacles. Gone was sex, drugs and rock ’n’ roll, replaced by Kubrickian space-outs, Eastern philosophy and walls of synthesizers—or guitars trying to sound like synthesizers.

Prog is literally gentrified rock music

Most people that claim that porg is just "le emotionless wank" have never listened to anything besides Pink Floyd and maybe ITCOTCK. In order to understand the genre you need to dive deeper into it.

this just goes to prove that soy = stuff i dislike. this meme needs to die.