At three hours, twenty-seven minutes (207 minutes), Seven Samurai would be the longest picture of Kurosawa's career

>At three hours, twenty-seven minutes (207 minutes), Seven Samurai would be the longest picture of Kurosawa's career.
>Toho Studios originally cut fifty minutes off the film when screening it for American distributors for fear that no American audience would be willing to sit through the entire picture.

>Americans

To be fair the film is pretty boring and shit.
I know I wouldn't want to watch it for 4 hours.

>nu-Sup Forums

What went so wrong?

Sup Reddit this is one of Kursawas worst easily.

It's only famous because Lucas ripped some of it off to make that shitty Star Wars crap.

what do you expect from a generation that watches cartoons on their phones all day?

Should have just played it at 2x speed desu

>one of Kursawas worst easily

What's your favorite Kurosawa, Sup Forums? I've only seen Yojimbo and Sanjuro so far

The Hidden Fortress.

Dreams is absolutely incredible, very underrated.

The Magnificent Seven with Chris Pratt

Red Beard

This.

Japan's movie industry likely wasn't as large and films probably weren't as accessible for the average citizen. Productions could be long and artsy for a number of reasons.

By that time, Americans were avid movie goers and knew what they wanted.

Compare to modern Japanese entertainment and you'll see it's every bit as shit as what's in the US.

>It's only famous because Lucas ripped some of it off to make that shitty Star Wars crap

That's the hidden fortress

Ikiru

I know it's not apopular choice, but this movie is so good.

Stray Dog

Only seen a few, but I'd rank what I've seen like this

Seven Samurai > Rashomon > Ran > Sanjuro > Throne of Blood

>I know it's not apopular choice
It's literally one of the most acclaimed films in the history of motion pictures

Popular on Sup Forums, I mean. Sup Forums likes action movies more than stuff like Ikiru.

The Silent Duel is best Kurosawa

*quiet duel

Ikiru is very popular, user. I knew about it long before I saw it. It's probably his second or third most popular after Throne of Blood and Seven Samurai.

Seven Samurai has an Intermission right? Or was that just a weird feature in an old DVD I had?

Either way asking someone to sit down and watch a 3 hour+ film is a real commitment. And the concept of an Intermission to let guests stretch their legs and go to the bathroom was probably uncommon in films at that time.

Even though the post is 2.5 hours old I just have to say you are a complete fucking idiot.

High and Low and Ran.

>God tier
Rashomon, Ikiru, Seven Samurai, Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo, High and Low, Red Beard, Ran
>Great tier
The Quiet Duel, Throne of Blood, The Lower Depths, The Bad Sleep Well, Sanjuro, Kagemusha
>Good tier
One Wonderful Sunday, Stray Dog, Scandal
>Fine tier
Drunken Angel, Dreams, Madadayo
>Low tier
I Live in Fear

What about Dersu Uzala?

Haven't seen it yet, along with the others.