Have you seen this shit Sup Forums? It's actually pretty decent until the 3/4 mark...

Have you seen this shit Sup Forums? It's actually pretty decent until the 3/4 mark, it's got squid aliens that communicate through ink.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/70rB1wKbBbU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

That's not ink.

it's a masterpiece

I wish they played up the mental illness angle more than just that one nightmare sequence.

Its complete shit and amy adams gave a terrible fucking performance.

I swear I'm on a different power levwl or something because you anons Have no clue

they are clearly squid type aliens and its obviously ink

What do you mean angle, isn't she a schizo or some shit? That's how I understood it.

yeah, it's "ink"

I didn't thin it was complete shit. Just oppressively boring. There was no wonder, no chaos. Everything was just sterile, squeaky clean POINT A to POINT B shit. They tried to give Amy Adams humanity but they really failed (I think this was her fault though. This movie exposed her limitations a bit).

Just have her behave more irrationality as the movie goes on. Maybe she starts slipping other languages into conversation.

Yes I agree for a first contact film Villenueve sucks the life out of it. It could have beem interesting and groundbreaking but it was dull all around

She looks way too old to have a kid.

thought the same thing in Nocturnal Animals during the scenes where she's a student. Fucking lol.

She's got a really old looking face, is she the next Maggie Gyllenhaal?

most forced romance since Anakin and Padme

honestly seems like they tacked on the relationship in reshoots

Same, especially the way the movie is constructed and she doesn't age a day in like 17 years

It's because she started to dream in their language that she started to see things differently afaik

It was a great a film and Amy a cute and the concept was great.

Currently doing a PhD in linguistics focused on the description of endangered languages.
With the authority bestowed upon me, I can say that this movie is shit.

You sound like a fourth grader.she was not cute in this at all, despite her being cute in other things, the directing was stale and lifeless and it was not good in any way. Just a predictable waste of time in failed fake artistry. It could have been goodm

but will I know kung fu if I learn Cantonese?

>I DON'T FIND THIS PART OF THE NARRATIVE REALISTIC OR PLAUSIBLE SO IT MUST BE SHIT

Reminder that film is a visual medium and if you base your whole opinion on literal plot points then you are a first class supreme pleb my dear amigo friend.

Did anyone else start thinking about halfway through that the two aliens were going to be revealed as two limbs of one gigantic alien? I'm not really sure why I thought this and how it would have affected the plot, maybe the ships could have been eggs and each one had a giant baby inside. Kek.

>maybe the ships could have been eggs and each one had a giant baby inside.
I'd like that.

>it was not good in any way

What about the sound track? What about the sound design? Editing? Framing and composition? Production design? Blocking? Blend of CGI with the practicals? Visual narrative?

Everything complete shit eh?

>Amy a cute

She is hot, but get aids please

actually i thought the story was neat, linguistic relativity is interesting. not really good performances though.

not that guy but I'm gonna tackle it
>What about the sound track?
It was good in some parts but generic in others. A mixed bag. I thought Hans Zimmer had better scores.
>What about the sound design?
This was where the movie excelled in my opinion.
>Framing and composition?
Not that good. Closeups or moving establishing shots with no in between.
>Editing
Too quick. Nothing lingers and lets the audience take everything in. The music barely stops playing so everything just feels like a montage. I hate modern editing for this reason.
>Production design?
Nothing special really. THe ships were just disc UFOs turned sideways (until the end when they "arm"). The aliens were kind of cool and I liked how very little about them was shown. It's a nice mystery.
>Blocking
What the fuck? Who cares about the blocking? It wasn't noticeably bad so I guess that's a plus?
>Blend of CGI with the practicals?I
I remember 0 practical effects. Where were they?
>Visual narrative?
Can you explain this too? The movie is fairly "literary" in that they spell out everything for you in dialogue. Only the finally 30 minutes do they try to be subtle with the twist and it comes out limp.

I give the movie a 6/10. Boilerplate Villenueve.

>What about the sound track?
It was ok but without good direction it falls into irelevancy

>What about the sound design?
Nothing special at all compared to many things

>editing?
Dull and lifeless like Villenueve

>Framing and composition?
Nothing to write home about at all unles you haven't seen many good movies. I'd rather watch it in a good movie like Enemy.

Production design? Blocking? Blend of CGI with the practicals? Visual narrative?Everything complete shit eh?
All of those were poor. The concept was good the execution was so unimaginative. And not unsettling surpsingly. It was preditcable filmmaking by Villenueve. Its like you took the best elements from 2001 (technically and creepy) and The Fountain (emotional and connecting) and made them poor and unenthralling on purpose.

Not that user either but

>I remember 0 practical effects. Where were they?

That whole interior of the ship is an actual built set piece which you can see here
youtu.be/70rB1wKbBbU

Also the only time green screen was used in the whole movie was when she enters the ship alone.

green screen maybe, but it was obvious that they used some trick to put adams' and renner's faces inside their masks when they entered for the first time, their heads looked like they were floating inside there.

This, it needed more explosions and lightsabers

>the interior of a ship which should always be a set piece was a set piece
Wow they deserve such browny points.

>Did anyone else start thinking about halfway through that the two aliens were going to be revealed as two limbs of one gigantic alien? I'm not really sure why I thought this and how it would have affected the plot, maybe the ships could have been eggs and each one had a giant baby inside. Kek.
That would be great.

>That whole interior of the ship is an actual built set piece
You mean the big empty room with literally nothing but blank walls?

No, it just needed something going on other than "tension".

>It was good in some parts but ...
I think it served the narrative well, didn't call attention to itself specifically like Zimmer scores.
Was quite innovative in the sense of interchanging the sound from the future with the current narrative (especially in the sound design department) and ewoke a true sense of wonder for me.

>Not that good. Closeups or moving establishing shots with no in between...
I thought Bradford Young did a terrific job of not making it look generic "sci-fi" and again served the narrative well with the constant shallow focus making the viewer have the same point of view like Amy Adams character and the constant gradation in framing of the aliens.
Also lot's of visual clues and information so they don't have to rely so much on expository dialogue.

>Too quick... I hate modern editing for this reason.
I have no idea how did you think the editing was "quick".
It was top notch, especially in the first contact scene with overlong shots and tension building suddenly interrupt with a hard jump cut to the decontamination chamber, which serves almost like a jump scare and where we as a viewer can finally breathe just like the characters.

>Nothing special really. THe ships were just disc UFOs ... about them was shown. It's a nice mystery.
Well I can't argue with what you find special or not, the only thing I can say the designs were original.

>I remember 0 practical effects. Where were they?
What this user said >The movie is fairly "literary" in that they spell out everything for you in dialogue. Only the finally 30 minutes do they try to be subtle with the twist and it comes out limp.
I already mentioned the use of visual narrative in previous points so I won't repeat it again. Remember, the movie is more about the character of Amy Adams and her relationship with life/death then aliens and time shifting.

Comment too long for anything else.

See
It was a bad movie

What? She looks great for a 42-year-old.

That other user atleast gave some arguments.

Your whole post is just "it was nothing special so it's shit"

Try to make actual arguments next time.

>the movie is more about the character of Amy Adams and her relationship with life/death then aliens and time shifting.

This is what determines if you loved the film or not. For those viewers who want a personal story the movie is excellent, its not really about the aliens but more about the experiences and relationship of amy adams character.

I think many people went in expecting some big story about an alien invasion and were very disappointed when they god something different.

>It was top notch, especially in the first contact scene with overlong shots and tension building suddenly interrupt with a hard jump cut to the decontamination chamber, which serves almost like a jump scare and where we as a viewer can finally breathe just like the characters.
Pleb, this was so basic and there was no tension. It babby filmmaking for the masses who like shit.

>poster A makes a valid point
>poster B dismiss it without argument and calls him pleb

I love Sup Forums

You sound easily impressed like most idiots on this board which is why youre defending villenueve so hard. Elements of textbook filmmaking when nothing good happens mean nothing. The film was a bore and I dont call things boring ever. The fucking aliens had more emotion than Amy Adams.

Only movie in years that I watched at home without pausing to do something else

intriguing

>posts anime
That user is right

That's babbys first direction. The interview scenes had no wonderment or creepiness. Why do anime v/edditors love Villenueve?

>posts on Sup Forums
>bitches about anime

are you lost?

decent is the word to describe it
it had amazing potential, then just flounders in the execution of the interaction. flimsily flailing around in the dark with the routine of going back up and down, then introduce a retarded and bad "villain" and stupid fucking concepts like "domino effect" to push a bad narrative

when they reached the inside of the ship and up was no longer up, and then started talking about new concepts of language, it was 10/10 potential for just mind blowing amazing sci fi, then it went fucking nowhere with it, and its gimmicky reveal at the end was terrible.

typical tropes in movie narratives that string the audience along for a "gotcha" moment of some stupid reveal is just lame, i wish the writer had more balls and went for it

>this same retort
Go to Sup Forums and post your cartoon shit. Post normal pictures here or you oust your opinion as shit ans being immediately discarded. Just a heads up.

That one scene of her seeing the alien in her room scared the shit out of me.

Reminded me of Enemy.

>takes off mask in strange Ayylium ship
>deep breath
>it's okay, there's air
Everytiem

I finally got around to seeing this in theaters, since I like to support dying industries.
I consider myself quite well versed in sci-fi, and sensitive to lazy writing and reliance upon trope and nostalgia, which makes most post-Matrix sci fi relatively bland to me.

What redeemed Arrival for me was in really committing to the idea of language _as_ advanced technology, and how language influences perceptions of reality. The advanced alien culture understand time on a different level, (which we have been seeing explored often in the past decade) and showed how sharing something as seemingly innocuous as language can have profound shift on the consciousness of the colonized culture.

I also liked how the ships were shaped like a crisp, or potato chip as we say in more advanced societies.

>or potato chip as we say in more advanced societies.
We say ZUGUUUBUULLL'TRU'F'F'F'GLOGLMNHT in ours, do you feel the space dick in your ass yet? Twist: you already felt it 30 minutes ago.

Just the opposite for me it was gay

Best first contact scene in cinema history.

Brilliantly executed.

>Twist: you already felt it 30 minutes ago.
Actually get ready for
>Supertwist: You were feeling it THE ENTIRE time.
Learn to understand the movies you are watching.

top kek

So basically the reason her kid had cancer was because she took her suit off in the white fog alien atmosphere

Why are women so dumb

>her kid had cancer
Where was this even said/shown? I've seen the movie like 5 hours ago and I don't remember it.

It's litteraly the purpose of the movie.

When, seriously. I haven't seen cancer mentioned anywhere, I was watching it while shitposting though.

yeh, i saw it. i can't decide if i regret reading the short story or watching the movie after i did so.

wut even are you on

read the short story

maybe it was the screener quality, but that was fucking retarded looking

the stuff they added to the movie that wasn't in the short story didn't only seemed tacked on and out of place, but also showcased extraordinarily lazy writing.

>ohh no the chinese dont wanna share
>russian blyat is big bad guy
>mom don't listen to "that" news channel

and the best

>hey Xi Xing Ping, i got your number from the future thus setting up a logical paradox in which you have to show me your number later

the last one really destroyed the ideas set forth in the short story. it wasn't supposed to be about amy adams getting super powers

The crux of the story gets told to you by a jeremy renner voice over a 1 minute montage. The whole idea of the alien language not representing sound or whatever.

Very very cool sci-fi ideas packed with lazy topical filler.

The short story wll take you maybe 1-2 hours to get through, please check it out

The little girl has no hair when on the hospital bed,clearly having undergone chemotherapy.
There's also a monologue where Louise says her daughter will come down with a rare and uncurable disease.
Pay attention to the movie next time, and not your phone.

I don't have a phone.

Haven't seen a hospital bed scene or a monologue like that, interesting.

I liked it yeah

they changed it from a rock climbing accident to cancer.

what did they mean by this?

If there is something like "respectable Hollywood production" that's the example. I cried.

>it wasn't supposed to be about amy adams getting super powers

Why? Who said that?
The first thing Villeneuve says in any Arrival interview is that it's about Amy Adams character relationship with life/death, not aliens and hard sci-fi.

>b-but the short story

Why even make a movie if all you're going to do is copypaste?
The short story was used just as a device to propell the film's actual narrative, it's only your fault you go to see a movie with preconcieved expectations of how it should be.

can someone post a picture of the squid aliens, i hate squids and im too scared to watch the movie if i dont see how they look like first

the short story was pure sci-fi short story-kino

>Why even make a movie if all you're going to do is copypaste?

they copypasta'd the short story and then had a shittier writer add a bunch of uninspired filler.

the filler was almost entirely topical politics.

the studio knew they couldn't get the crowds out just on a good sci-fi premise alone. they needed to add "evil white soldiers that listen to too much fox news and blow up aliums"

the writers should all kill themselves desu

>The first thing Villeneuve says

the director is the only one who decides what the movie is about

also, he prob said that to get muh women out to the theatres, but if that was his actual goal while shooting, then that is why the movie sucked dick.

the source material was good

the movie had some improvements, be fair desu

for example, in the story, everyone is like
>ok, whatever, business as usual

in the movie, they added that nice buildup (with people going insane)

also it makes sense to show world's reaction to aliens (the opening scenes when people ask her to turn on the news, etc)
it would feel incomplete without those bits

the whole china/russian bad guy angle was kinda forced, I agree.

It's fantastic. Best sci-fi film in recent memory.

The Arrival makes Interstellar look like Lost in Space.

just like the martian, the movie added things that are hard to get across in a book.

the wide shots of the spacechips gave a feeling of awe not present in the short story

the sounds were fun, all the sub-bass rumbles and noises with the alien speak

the ending tho, where she does the time loop with the chinese president... not only was it retarded... it was like reading a highschooler's interpretation of post-grad physics article.

just.. just bbleeh

don't u have some bane memes or something to do elsewhere

I say again, Villeneuve wanted from the start for the movie to be about Amy Adams character, not about "pure based epic hard sci-fi kino"

Your expectations ruined the experience because even before seeing the movie you had a firm belief of how it "needs" to be.
Your speculations about the big baddy "studio" alterations are ridiculous, Villeneuve has earned his name enough to be able to do exactly what he wants without losing artistic integrity, the movie was not even aimed to get the general public to see it.

As for your pathetic Sup Forums point, just so you know, the almighty far right saviour Armond White absolutely loved Arrival and basically sucked Villeneuve's cock in the review, just like in the Sicario review.
So much of your "evil whitez" point

Never seen linguistic relativity tackled in a movie before like this, I thought it was neat. And I don't mind over-the-top science in science fiction.

>the almighty far right saviour Armond White
Isn't he a magical negro?

read the short story, it goes quick and much more of the xeno-linguistics stuff

the movie wasn't over-the-top, that is my point, it was dumbed down and pumped with filler

Maybe so dum dums dont ask " hurr why doesnt Louise just never let her daughter climb rocks". The whole point is that her use of the heptapod's weapon doesnt make her a demi-god, she makes a choice to have and raise her daughter even though she knows the outcome.

the movie's science can still be over-the-top if it is dumbed down from a story user.

>the ending tho, where she does the time loop with the chinese president... not only was it retarded... it was like reading a highschooler's interpretation of post-grad physics article.

no argument here, worst part of the movie, although I guess they wanted to showcase the benefits of non-linear time perception (avert ww3, yo!)

that last paragraph bro lol

you should get into writing scripts, you're just that special kind of retard they like to use to ruin good premises

I always thought Amy had huge tits and was disappointed to find out she is flat chested

>maybe it was the screener quality, but that was fucking retarded looking
no i saw it in the theater, looked a bit like floating heads.

>I will shill it until you like it

From what scraps I can summon back to memory, there was a line in one of the trailers that said: "China says it will attack the aliens at dawn (or something), Korea and France will folllow them into it", but in the movie that was changed to "China says it will attack at dawn, Pakistan and Sudan will follow them into it"...

So a), why would that have been altered? To invest Koreans and frogs in the trailer, and have them see the movie?

And b), why is my country, France, being depicted as a bad guy? We did nothing wrong!

>The short story wll take you maybe 1-2 hours to get through
don't want to start shit, but wtf? it's really really short, you should be able to read it in 20-30 minutes if you're not a retard.

look at all these pathetic screenerfags arguing like they have a valid opinion on the medium lmao

I didn't get it

>We did nothing wrong!

This, although Lost in Space wasn't actually that bad.

wtf I love Lost in Space now

We'd have waged war on the Boche though had the English not been such relentlessly deluded chaps about the lies Hitler was pouring down their throats.
Fucking Chamberlain. France had been gritting its teeth for a fight to put down a still-weak Germany since 1936.
My apologies though Czechia.

>know your audience

guilty as charged

what was the line about "sanskrit for war"? when lazy-eye came back with the punchline, the helicotper was too loud and i missed it

it would have been forgiveable if they had worked the first half of that little twist into the first act.

that's asking for too much i guess

Boring, pretentious and bland. I was annoyed at the end because it regarded itself as one of those "super deep and complex" films. That's what I got from it.

Amy Adams also did a horrible job. Her whisper acting isn't good for the main character whose main job is supposed to keep you hooked. Even Jeremy Renner was more interesting and that's saying a lot.

The colonel got a bogus translation from the second prof he visited,louise says the sanskrit translation for war "is a desire for more cows"

>autist wasting money on PhD in unemployment thinks he has any authority