What did MGMT mean about this cover?

le quirky candid photo
idk man I just think it's a woefully unappealing cover, which is frustrating when all of their other album covers look great, especially pic related

needs more selly ester watts fields

>wattd

Interesting perspective

>what did they meme by this

So did people originally add the sally ester watts field to the s/t cover to make it more interesting and colorful?

I personally think it’s a great cover and is easy on the eyes. Idk man there’s something going on in this photo. Like why are their shirts “glitchy” and why pose in front of a store named “Stylez Unlimited” it’s just so interesting trying to decipher it.

My take is that they are going against the grain in terms of mainstream musicians - They aren't being told what wear or what to do like most artists. Big artists have people selecting their clothing and style. Here they're saying their style is 'unlimited' or infinitely their own.

Or the complete opposite, saying they borrow people's 'style' or sounds.

Am I the only one who thinks they meant absolutely nothing by it at all, and just chose some crappy picture that they deemed good enough?

nope
desu i'd do the same if i were them

Intention behind art doesn't really matter.

For the love of our Lord please i'm begging you what the fucking hell is a "selly-ester watts field" this is really fucking with my sanity i ay kill someone or kill myself if i don't know the answer, so again i beg to you....WHAT IS A FUCKING "SELLY-ESTER WATTS FIELD!!!

>wattd

I thought Andrew was mowing the lawn with one hand, but he isn't even touching the mower. Makes one ponder.

he'll get there. the picture is designed to keep us in suspense. he's perpetually almost mowing.

This is unbelievably frustrating to me.

And is Ben looking at the empty birdcage or where Andrew is staring at too?

Ben is staring through the birdcage at the wormhole that has just begun to open up upon the wall of the building to Andrew's right, and Andrew has just begun to notice it as well (although Ben has known of its existence for some time). The boys must travel through this wormhole (after the law is mowed) and this is where the album begins.

lawn* not law

Hi

this
the way that the audience interprets art should always have a priority over the artist's intention

watt'd. simply watt'd

Of course, I do agree. Although I do believe intention comes through clearly, if you dig just a little.