How faithful of an adaption was this?

How faithful of an adaption was this?

Your thoughts on Troy in general?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GRyfuE9BDvI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

HECTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!!!!!!

Only good things about this were Helen's ass and Hector

Faithful to what? The Iliad? Not faithful at all. For starters there was no war but a siege which lasted 11 years.

The movie is pretty crap.

It's very realistic.

>How faithful of an adaption was this?
As faithful as any other historical movie that ever came from hollywood.

Seriously watch something like a mini series called Shogun based on the true story from an English sailor on a Dutch ship who shipwrecks on Wapan, the entire getting to know each other part is so how it would be, both races find each other weird as fuck, both have their own reasons / perspectives to call the other barbarian primitive scum, unlike this new age bullshit where everyone goes:
>WOOOAAAH You're totally a different color, religion, culture, customs, manners, clothing, etc BUT
>We overcome our differences and work together to further the plot of this piece of shit movie we're in to get payed because writers need to put us
>A carefully crafted bunch of people together to make it seem like WE WUZ GREAT AND ALMIGHTY!
Fuck off, trigger my imagination by letting it be awkward, violent or just weird as fuck because that's how it went down when different cultures would meet under stress.
None of this
>hey
>Hai
>God you have so much honor
>God you're so beautiful
>Let me beat you in a fight where man can get off and woman are paying attention because of homolust
>God I beat you, hnnnng so much honor in this battle HNNNNGGGG
Fuck off Hollywood, bunch of smarmy faggots with no regards to the wonders, awe and mystery of our past.

Seeing the war never happened. It was very faithful.

sounds kinda boring tbqh

I was surprised it didn't have gayshit

Completely wasn't faithful

Troy was a shithole with like 3000 inhabitants counting the surrounding rural houses, the helmet were extremely inaccurate, LBA Mycenean helmets were completely different looking, mostly made with boar tusks while in the movie the helmets look like classical Greek helmets that would come like at least 600 or 700 years later, the only thing somewhat accurate were the shields and the war chariots, the swords also were inaccurate since in the LBA Myceneans would be using long Naue Ii swords and not that leaf sword which would be more apropiate in Western Europe/Western med used one or two centuries later

The armor itself wasn't that inaccurate because those bronze amors were used by the urnfield people which were employed by the Myceneans as mercenaries most likely and later see that armor in relation with the sea peoples and Cyprus, so even if we don't have actual Mycenean depictions of it the fact that it reached Cyprus most likely indicates that Myceneans used/had knowledge of it too

It's based on the Iliad, not history.

good adaption of troy for the modern audience, perfectly timed as well since if it were made a few years later they would shoehorn a black guy in

they wouldn't insist the trojans be middle eastern looking or anything, they would insist there be a black guy despite the chances of a black guy being anything but a merchant or a traveller of some sort would be extremely low and ruin the immersion, we won't see movies like this again

there absolutely was fighting; you're giving the idea that there weren't any battles. There were countless pulls and pushes of each army back to the beaches and all the way to Troy's walls. The individual combat in the Iliad is awesome too.

The interpretation of the movie I have heard which kind of saves it from the criticism of not being faithful is that it isn't an adaptation of the Iliad but rather tries to show the Trojan War as an actual event that happened which the Iliad was then based off of. The best example of this is the story of Achilles heel. The movie shows him getting shot multiple times in the chest and that is what killed him, but he pulled all the arrows out except for the one in his heel. Thus when the Greek soldiers find him they only see the arrow in his heel. From that you get the myth that the heel was his only weakness. It tries to present the war as an actual historical event. Of course you then get into discussion of how faithful it is to the supposed time period it took place and so on.

nice opinion

pretty faithful since the migrants in europe represent a modern version of the trojan horse

I liked it and the first time Pitt does that le epic super sword fighting move its fucking great.

Shame he does it like five or six times later on and it gets old.

>Greeks were white
AYYYYYY

I actually liked that they established that thing (impractical and absurd as it was) as Achilles' signature move that he would use to instantly end any fight in a single strike.

Then he uses it against Hector and the dude blocks it.

>i have never read the Illiad

>he's my cousin
kek yeah, you're "cousin".

My least favorite part about the movie was how they took Achilles battle with Hector. There are so many inaccuracies, which is sad, because the real battle is brutal.
First off, Hector was never on the walls when Achilles came. Hector and all of his troops were in battle with the Greeks when they get pushed back to the city; Hector refused to enter the front gates and retreat because he adamantly commanded nobody to retreat, so he would be ridiculed. Even though his mother and father sre up on the wall crying for him to come in (because they know Achilles will destroy him), he refuses and stands his ground. When Achilles comes into view, it is said he's "hefting the dreaded beam of Pelian ash on his right soldier". So if you could imagine the fear in Hector when this massive demi-god slowly walks towards him, holding a giant fucking beam of wood, ready to beat him into dust after he brutally killed Achilles' closest friend, you could understand why Hector bolted when Achilles got close and ran around the city four times while Achilles sprinted after him. Eventually, Hector gets tricked by some of Athena's bullshit and thinks his brother is there with him to fight (this is the second part that really is a missed chance). When Hector decides to fight Achilles because he thinks his brother is there to fight with him, Hector throws his only spear and it bounces off Achilles. When he calls for another from his brother and realizes there's no one there (where do you think we are.webm) he has to fight Achilles one-on-one and realizes he's about to die. Of course, he's wearing Patroclus's armor, so it would be really cool to see Achilles fight Hector while wearing Achilles's dead best friend's armor. Obviously, Hector dies in the end, but it's a missed opportunity for a really amazing fight.

Who cares if it was faithful?

>real battle
stopped reading there

they were tanned whites because they lived in the Mediterranean

>tfw we will never get to see The Odyssey with Sean Bean as Odysseus

real battle of the Iliad

Would've been better without Brad Pitt

there's still hope

There is hope yet while Bean lives.

What the fuck are you even ranting about you stupid fucking frogposter? None of that shit has anything to do with the Illiad or what the movie was about.

He's a big guy, I would not want to fight him.

>Odyssey movie about one of the best and most influential pieces of literature ever written
>it's gonna end up like Hungry Games or the Hobbit

you don't want an Odyssey movie

>the illiad is historically accurate

Consider this funded!

>How faithful of an adaption was this?

Go kill yourself.

The Myceneans blew everyone in Greece the fuck out, why is Troy vanishing from existence unbelievable?

The Ancient Greeks were indeed white, you're a retard who obviously never read the Illiad, or any history book, for that matter.

The Myceneans WERE the Greeks you fucking idiot

but sean is so ooooooooooold now

>you're

Learn to English.

>Greece
>one united people like a big happy family

Can we please choose a different director? I'd rather Hackson did it than Aronofsky.

>Iliad
>history
>(((history)))
WE

Well if you don't believe Troy happened, what about the other hundreds of wars and conquests back then?

>The Ancient Greeks were indeed white
You can't be this retarded.

That doesn't make the Iliad historically accurate.

Is it just me or has the retardation on this board reached a point where it ceases to be funny?

The Iliad isn't a history book, you fucking idiot.

I thought the rape of Troy was pretty cool to see. You don't normally see that on war films. The fight scene between Achilles and Hector was also good.

Welcome to 5 years ago

You'll go with it eventually

Not under a mainstream studio or director, but there's stuff being produced at the moment that has the same kind of aesthetic and quality that I imagine would work really well for an Odyssey adaptation. I really enjoyed Fassbender's Macbeth and thought that sort of slightly deranged and manic style would blend nicely with the Odyssey's tone and story

But yeah a cookie cutter sword and sandals, Clash of the Titans style action-adventure adaptation would be a dead flop for me. It's a much harder work to adapt than the Illiad I think, even though it might not appear so on the surface. Making the gods a convincing and menacing presence would be a real cinematic challenge.

youtube.com/watch?v=GRyfuE9BDvI

>Pelian ash

that refers to his spear gifted from athena fuck face.

what the fuck you honestly think achilles would be walking through an active battle field with a tree trunk like some russian forest woman

I'd watch the shit out of that movie

Of course not dumbass, my point is that there was so much epic shit and wars going on back then that they could really resemble the Trojan war.

Who was in the wrong here?

Achilles. He was literally a glorified mercenary. Hector was defending his home, his family and his infant son.

The horse, it hasn't parked the wagon properly so Achilles could get on it more easily once he finishes off Hector.

Hector, for wearing shitty armor.

uv lights reveal what colours greek statues were they look pretty white to me

And surely you can't either. They were white, you can provide nothing other that pseudo science and shitposting to say otherwise.

>Mel Gibson will never do AncientGreecekino
why even live

Kek, keep telling yourself that, Stavros.

I always thought it was a large piece of wood from the words "hefting" and "beam". Also, it wasn't an "active battle field ". Achilles knew he was entering one-on-one combat with Hector and it wouldn't be unreasonable for him to purposefully choose an intimidating weapon. That being said, I wasn't aware that it clearly refers to a spear from Athena.

THIS

FeelsBadMan

>No Diomedes beating Aeneas
>No Diomedes beating Aphrodite
>No Diomedes beating Ares
>No Diomedes

T R A S H

>How faithful of an adaption was this
>historical movie
you do know the battle of troy is a legend, right.
It's a story, it never happened.
It is a fable story, in greek mythology.
read a book you dumb niggers

Why the fuck would anyone want to see Hector and Achilles do a 4k before they fight?

why are frogposters consistently the worst posters on Sup Forums?