What is the appeal to this movie?

What is the appeal to this movie?

It's not awful but it's not better than any other critically praised movie.

WE

...yes...

WUZ

The individual elements of the movie are all pretty much flawless. The only people who dislike the movie are the ones who the story simply doesn't appeal to.

>What is the appeal to this movie?

The acting, directing, story and cinematography

No idea. Jenkins has some skill in getting performances from his actors, but as a storyteller and cinematic craftsman, on the basis of this movie he's amateurish. This movie, like Boyhood, didn't really have anything to say. The boy is uninteresting and remains so as a teen and young man, and the sensitive mounting of the issue of his sexuality doesn't inherently make the movie more valuable as an artistic endeavor.

The film is just fundamentally a weak story that's being overly commended because of its managing to present characters not frequently portrayed onscreen (a decent man who's a successful drug dealer, a black inner-city youth with homosexual leanings, a bad mother who's not a monster, etc. - all very interesting potentially, but not so much in the service of drama this mundane and superficially developed).

smacks lips profusely
SO HOL UP HOL UP
steals
SO U BE SAYIN
gets jiggy wit it
SO HOL UP U BE SAYIN
eats a skittle
AYYYOOOO SO U BE SAYIN
checks for nearest KFC
U BE SAYIN
collects welfare
HOL UP HOL UP
licks teeth then smacks lips
AYYOO U BE SAYIN
does the crip walk
SO U BE SAYIN
opens up a 40 and pours some for his homies trayvon and michael brown
HOL UP SO U BE SAYIN
tweets about dis and goes to check in with his parole officer
WE WUZ
dindu nuffins
FINNA WE WUZ
sucks air through teeth
AYYYOOO HOL UP WE WUZ
pulls up sagging pants
SO WE WUZ
instinctively looks around for the police
SO U SAYIN WE WUZ
faints and then gets up repeatedly
SOM FINNA
scopes dem titties
SO WE WUZ
shouts at movie theater screen
SOM FINNA
chucks spear
AYYOOO SOM FINNA
sets down cotton bale
HOL UP
strokes welfare check pensively
WE WUZ
throws up gang sign
SOM FINNA
swings from basket ball hoop
WE WUZ
grabs dick and shuffles left and right
SOM FINNA
participates in drive by shooting
HOL UP MUH NIGGUH
converts to islam
U SAYIN WE WUZ
repeated world star yelling in background
SOM FINNA
sells crack
KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGZ N SHEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT
evolves from primate?

liberals go crazy for a movie so diverse that the main character is black AND gay

shieet

>It's not awful but it's not better than any other critically praised movie.
explain whats wrong with it

i feel like you misunderstood it

>It's descendants of American slaves from Africa finally overcoming their unjust socioeconomic disadvantages and successfully making (all on their own) a feature length motion picture up to the cultural and artistic standards of educated and wealthy middle to upper class white people of Western European ancestry-- therefore they deserve recognition, THE FILM, THE JOINT.

That ending was Interstellar tier.

>hurr my gay bf will leave his kids for me

>i feel like you misunderstood it
Here we go, another teenager who can't handle hearing someone say the film was just okay.

it only gets praise because it portrays, somewhat genuinely, the story of a homosexual black man - apart from that, it is regular oscar bait and will be forgotten in the years to come

>ad hominem

Yeah but eventually your just gonna call anyone you argue with a racist so I don't feel too bad about it.

>i dedicate my life to arguing on the internet in an attempt to fill the void of my social life with something slightly entertaining
>also i cant even do that right because i rely on yourlogicalfallacy to make counter arguments for me
>all in all i am a sad, greasy, fat-fuck permavirgin who will be eternally socially handicapped and overall lonely
>also im gay lol
jeez, user. say it don't spray it.

>another ad hominem

>coming of age film, literally.

That's got to be the most meaningless statement I've ever read on here.

Same as Spotlight. At least this one has good acting.

its not even a coming of age film, are you fucking retarded?

actually watch the movie before you try to assume what it is, Sup Forums sperg

gay black guy

This
I didn't really understand the acclaim

My biggest complaint is that I wanted the film to be about Juan raising the kid since he was so much more interesting than some autistic gay mute

out of this and la la land, I don't know which one has the less substance
la la land is basically "follow your dreams lmao" and this one is just a homo that gets bullied
60% of the movie is seeing him getting bullied and the rest is him meeting up with the guy that fucked him up in highschool
it's overdone, it's not interesting, no matter how well filmed it is the story is uninteresting and cliché, it feels like something I've seen a thousand times before

>The acting
The young kid and the oldest one were both decent
The teenager was miscast. The supporting cast were pretty decent for the most part but the other child actors were terrible

>directing
Average. Putting violin music over cliched slow-motion scenes isn't art

>story
Interesting until the end of chapter 1 and we realise that it's a series of vignettes and not an actual contained story

>cinematography
Literally a poor man's Lubezki with saturated bright lights at night
There are a 100 film school students doing the same shit with DSLRs

HahaHaHAhaha LOL XD