What are some movies that you watched ironically but then found out they were really good?

What are some movies that you watched ironically but then found out they were really good?

ghostbusters 2016

I watched American Psycho just because of dubs threads

Scarface
I'd seen it meme'd everywhere and slapped on merchandise and heard people quoting it my entire life, so I figured it was just some sort of hipster trash like Boondock Saints
I was genuinely surprised at how good it was

Crazy, Stupid, Love

This bad boy.

This, tbqf.

Kung Fu Panda

Big Hero 6

MegaMind

Street Fighter.

I thought I was going to like it ironically, but then I liked it unironically.

Shrek, I guess. But this was back when it came out, years before the memes. I assumed it was gonna be a childish gross-out movie but then it turned out to have some really clever humor.

Gods of Egypt

Maybe not "really" good but it had some interesting ideas and fun dynamics between the characters. I wish Egypt wasn't in the title at all. It was more like a Lord of the Rings that loosely uses Egyptian mythology in a creative way. It was much better than shit like Clash of the Titans and The Legend of Hercules.

>Big Hero 6

That movies complete garbage

Monster Trucks

Not him but bullshit. It's not one of Disney's strongest works but it has awesome character design and a good Fall Out Boy song. Oh wait, that's all Fall Out Boy songs.

Agreed. Proyas just can't catch a break.

Ray (movie about Ray Charles)

I thought it was going to be one of those dumb girl movies like Legally Blonde

You should also check out Miss Congeniality.

The only good things about it were the visuals, the music when Baymax tries to kill that one douche, and like you said, immortals. The story, writing, and characters themselves are atrocious.

Watched it expecting sit, ot one of may favorite action movies.

Identity Thief. Trust me on this one.

this, I had the impression that it was a "so shitty it's a must-watch" type of cult classic

This movie is so cool

TDKR

The fuck? Where'd you get that impression? It's an adaptation of a legendary book, basically THE original sci-fi.

Didn't it not follow the book at all though?

lol whatever nerd

I watched Mommy expecting some hipster shit.

Instead I fell in love with Dolan and both the main actress

Shrek

TDKR

Bee movie

Watched because of memdes, actually liked them all

Cat in the hat

Dreamcatcher

The Bodyguard
Titanic
Hunger Games: Catching Fire
Sucker Punch

i unironically enjoyed the silent hill movie. thought it was going to be complete trash, me and a buddy were just bored as fuck and decided to give it a go.
a lot of people do consider it trash, but i was entertained.

Criminal

It's a Jason Bourne style thriller with the gimmick that the action hero is a low-IQ psychopath who's been implanted with the memories of a dead spy. It was far more amusing than any other movie of this style I've seen in the last couple years. Kevin Costner's performance is over the top in a good way.

rocky horror picture show

No idea, never seen or read it. I just know that the movie isn't ironically beloved.

Heard the first Silent Hill movie was actually a pretty faithful adaptation. But the second one was not and was just "Hey let us sell these 3D special effects" and that's why people hated it.

Cat People

This is a comparatively niche movie from the 40s. How did you ed up watching it ironically? You wanted a random old movie almost no one talks about anymore?
Good taste btw

yeah after the first one i looked into the others to see what they were about/how they were received.
i got the impression i should stay the fuck away.
i can't speak to how faithful the story was, haven't touched those games in a long ass time. i feel like some of the negativity the first film got was from angry fanboys though.

Probably. Fanboys get angry even if the film is genuinely good. But I had a friend who's quite a big fan of the series and he genuinely enjoyed the first one but hated Revelation.

Still, at least they managed to make one good film out of it.

This. I wanted to see a recent Seagal flick to see how bad it was, but if you ignore the fact that Seagal has maybe five minutes of screen time and does nothing but sit on his ass, it's a decent war/action flick. That's decent, not really good.