Daily reminder Bowie's peak was literally in the 80s (albums/songs) ending with Never Let Me Down in 1987

daily reminder Bowie's peak was literally in the 80s (albums/songs) ending with Never Let Me Down in 1987

>Scary Monsters (only Ashes to Ashes)
>Let's Dance (most of album)
>Tonight (most of album)
>Labyrinth Soundtrack (as world falls / underground)
>Never Let Me Down (most of album)

only individual song exceptions: (all from 70s and half of which are from Young Americans*)

Suffragette City - 1972
Cracked Actor - 1973
Diamond Dogs - 1974
Young Americans - 1975*
Somebody Up There Likes Me - 1975*
Fascination - 1975*
Stay - 1976

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pLRETBpf5q4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I highly doubt this is your actual opinion.

i listened to every song in his catalog and comprised a list of 25 total songs on spotify

yeah. but he defied the odds by making some good music in his old age.

youtube.com/watch?v=pLRETBpf5q4

Screencap this list.

My man....
Why?

...aaaand who the fuck are you? Why is your opinion worth anymore than any other useless twat on the internet? Or are you just regurgitating what you read some Pitchfork critic spout? It's all opinion. I may feel Ziggy was his best work. There are idiots out there who think his Tin Machine stuff was his best work. There's no right or wrong answer.

>the absolute state of Sup Forums in 2018

is that a rebuttal?

I'll make my question more clear.
Why out of every song in Bowie's catalog do you choose primarily his 80s stuff?

Bowie said he owned the 1970s and Prince owned the 1980s. This is a fact and you're not allowed to dispute it

i thought i was clear, those are the best songs

i eliminated album by album songs i liked

this list has lasted tons of listenthrus so there's not really any "fringe" songs barey hanging on

that was done over a year ago so its pretty concrete considering all his work is now final

still waiting on the rebuttal

to proclaim such a strong reaction must mean there's glaringly overlooked gems

Alright. I suppose I'll post my top 25 as well. That will get some interesting conversation.

>Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud
>Memory of a Free Festival
>OH! You Pretty Things
>Life On Mars
>Five Years
>Rock N' Roll Suicide
>Aladdin Sane
>Lady Grinning Soul
>Sweet Thing Medley
>Fascination
>Somebody Up There Likes Me
>It's Gonna Be Me
>Word on A Wing
>Stay
>Subterraneans
>Secret Life of Arabia
>Look Back In Anger
>Teenage Wildlife (oddly one of the 80s songs you didn't include...)
>Looking For Lester
>Strangers When We Meet
>The Motel
>Dead Man Walking
>Survive
>Sunday
>Heathen (The Rays)
>Bring Me The Disco King

>still waiting on the rebuttal
What 'rebuttal'?
I was asking why you liked something. You've given me vague answers.

>why

they're his best songs, i dont understand the issue

all the other songs are crap

>all the other songs are crap
That's literally the issue though I feel like you're being a contrarian just for replies.

just listened to Teenage Wildlife again, nope that "shitty vocals" thing he does isnt what im looking for which eliminates most of his later work and some others

>that "shitty vocals" thing he does
...What?
You mean the Vibrato? Or just his voice?

every song i listed has objectively great music and vocals/harmonies and most have some type of solo (Sax or guitar)

>objectively
Bullshit. Now I'm certain you're baiting.
I have yet to see anyone use that word genuinely on here.

also its quite hilarious to hear you use "contrarian" as if most of the songs i have listed arent already most of his hits

You're telling me it's not contrarian to say his two most panned albums are 'his peak' and his other stuff is 'objectively bad'?

the songs i posted from each of those albums are the gems idgaf about "album themes"

every song from his first to last album when he died comes down to a majority of 80s and about 5 from the 70s

meanwhile he kept releasing shit every fucking year for 20 more years

That's not what I asked.

I honestly think Tonight and Labyrinth are two of his BEST albums of all time. I don't know why everybody else underrates them (Tonight especially)

also once again its hilarious to hear you once again bring up this "public opinion" who overrated his later shit cause he was on his death bed as being anywhere near culturally impactful as the stuff in my list

i dont care what some contrarian (see what i did there) reviewers thought in those individual years.

>who overrated his later shit cause he was on his death bed
His albums received acclaim years before he was dying. How were you not aware of this?

You are LITERALLY being A contrarian
>Majority likes his 70s work
>"objectively awful"
>Majority hates his 80s work
>"Objectively his peak"

>calls someone contrarian
>uses majority to form his opinions

if it makes you feel any better, the 3 Young American's are objectively my favorites

Those two things don’t contradict eachother so I’m not sure why you sarcastically greentexted.

you're trying to throw around ad hominens and strawman fallacies while using an argument to the people fallacy to support it

But this is literally by definition. Whether or not it’s intentional that’s what contrarian is. Going agains the popular opinion. I have to bring up popular opinion to show that.

Lets Dance is literally his biggest album ever

the other songs i posted are mostly singles/hits

and the songs from teh 70s are all hits

whats the issue?

just because Never Let You Down is included doesnt mean its near the top most of the songs make up the bottom 3-4 spots but when they come on they are still more listenable than everything else he did

including the song the other guy posted from the 80s that he's surprised i didnt like. and i said the reason why

The contrarian part was mainly “all the other stuff is crap”.

>tfw you love Fascination
>tfw you put it in his top 5 and think it's stupidly underrated
>tfw you wish he'd ever done it live
>tfw this is the only time you see someone else mention it as his best

I don't know how to feel. Especially since the rest of your choices point to either a legendary shitpost or legitimate, actual strange taste, it's far too specific.

it is, literally nothing redeeming about it

in a vacuum, not in 1987 "oh wow this is complete trash"

all his shity vebrato and lame ass melodies and tempos in all the other songs are crap.

if im going to listen to bowie, its going to be that playlist

and like i said, 9 outta 10 times is gonna be somebody up there likes me or young american's first played

needs moar tin machine

had no idea about this band, listening now

im not feeling the doors style vocals in the first song on the album, teh song itself is catchy af

yeah i can already tell his vocal patterns and the music is not what im looking for, thru 3 songs

jesus christ yeah this sucks ass

its like a mix of punk rock an other stuff

but his vocal patterns suck, no melodies, more hard rock/punk rock songs

the very first song had potential until the boring doors style vocals

working class heroes another potentally good song ruined by the vocals

at the last song baby can dance, starts off really good

might be the only keeper

im getting some loving the alien vibes off it, i think this one is gonna make it, i threw it in the list

unfortunately their supposed 2nd album on wikipedia isnt on spotify so i cant listen to that

>This thread