I want to learn the guitar, and I want to learn it the same way I learned how to play fighting games

I want to learn the guitar, and I want to learn it the same way I learned how to play fighting games.
For those, I always have a stack of flash cards, but the kind that are on a ring, so it's always in order, and I write how I'm supposed to train.
So, help me write these.
e.g.
card 1: scales 10 minutes
card 2: arpeggios 5 minutes
card 3: ascending 5ths / descending 5ths 10 min
card 4: chords progression I, IV, V

For fighting games I have 15 notecards I cycle through, but I don't know what to write for the guitar really.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DoGfeg8RlTA
youtube.com/watch?v=E8H-67ILaqc
youtube.com/watch?v=G0H_5PSNokk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Burn everything except card 1

And it's not the only one you need but not any of those.

Eh? Why not those others?
1: major scales 10 min
2: aolian 10 min
3: various modes 10 min
4: minor arpeggios 10 min
5: major arpeggios 5 min
6: ascending, descending 2nds 5 min
7: ascending, descending 3rds 5 min
8: I, IV, V progressions 10 min 5 min
9: II, V, I progressions 10 min 5 min
10. ascending, descending 4ths 10 min
11. ascending, descending 5ths 10 min

lrn ur intervals, esp. M2, m3, P4 and P5

Hi you are going to get advice from total amatures who know nothing. I have a M.A. i n music education and wrote a pedagogy book and I can tell you immediately you are getting bad advice with "scales" Scales are every guitarists downfall. Arpeggios are far more important. Stay away from scales as they have no practical use. You will develop muscle memory of playing formulaic shit that isnt musical. Playing scales sounds like playing scales. Leave scales for your analysis work off instrument. The best thing for you to do is learn songs by ear. Thats right. After all the years of studying and research the answer is simply to love and enjoy playing just like your videogames. You are really really really better off sight reading if you really have these autist like study habits (which is great) if you learn to read you will be able to play anything.

Learning like this does nothing for you
You'll be playing like a robot because you won't actually know how to make any music, you just know how to go through the motions of playing a scale

but so many rock songs and solos are just in a blues scale

I get what you're both saying. With the fighting games, I always train in order of the flashcards, but then once I've trained for the day, I will just play and have fun. That's what I was going to do with the guitar. When I sit down, I'll do the daily flashcard training then play whatever -- my own riffs or some song I like or something.
I'm getting conflicting advice about whether I should spend any time on scales, though.

>treating music like a video game
i appreciate your honesty.

First things first. You need to literally stop what you're doing.

no you

Let's try from square one. What kinda guitar do you got?

>he doesn't know about Desk

youtube.com/watch?v=DoGfeg8RlTA

There is overlap between fighting/rhythm game execution and instrument technique but for music theory you will have to learn it separately.

yes, and 80% of bop music is the bop scale. Now lets leave that for a second and move backwards from "blues scale" to minor pentatonic "scale" which I think we can all agree is where this thought pattern originated. Lets pause and call the pentatonic scale a minor 7 arpeggio and lets also agree that the 4 or 11 note of the scale really only becomes relevant on the key change to the 4 chord AHA analysis wait a minute so what if these scales the guy is playing is actually 2 arpeggios that are being played at different times when we .look closer. So friend this is where it all went wrong for us all in the improv world. scales are really the fastest way to get from one interval of an arpeggio to the next. A jazz guy playing down the bop scale or a metal guy runing up the harmonic minor is like taking a musical rocket to the moon. Its a device like a glissando or anyother, that guitar players specialize and then over use. It why everyone sucks No ryhthm only muscle memory licks and scales out of time performed faster than the player can actually go. You are watching rockets fall apart with the average guys playing. Now if we just studied one interval and really absorbed it and then added all these rythmic options like a drum filling 2 tom toms or a kick snare. And then you added another note and another. Wow not only would you be a great player but man would you understand harmony and how every note fit over the chord you were soloing over. People who are good though only know this stuff after 40 years of playing and reflection (if they are even that type of person) most people just play. Its like asking how a athelete got good at something. It wasnt micromanaging every movement. It was learning through experience. The body just learns. Same for music. At the end these become discussions between PhD guys in a bubbl because no one good learned from some specific method. Its just speculative nonsense in the end Learn guitar solos by ear not the scales Be musical

This one

If I was giving advice to an amateur blues scale would be the first thing cause it's all you need for the kind of melody they'd be familiar with. Also for a guitar player knowledge of rhythm and tempo isn't as necessary as coming up with catchy hooks the drummer's gotta have that shit covered

Ok and are you particularly interested in playing any certain styles? Are you specifucally interested in sweep picking?

Or maybe...... unstring the guitar except for the high E string.
Play only that string for 2018.
January 1st, 2019, add one more string.
Play only those two strings.
January 1st, 2020, add a third string.
Play only those three...
etc.

I want to play metal, but also I want to be able to play pretty clean stuff. But mostly metal, I guess.

GOAT
youtube.com/watch?v=E8H-67ILaqc

You must have an MA if you're this autistic

When did you start playing? If you're brand new, try playing along to songs/solos you love.
If you know your way around your instrument, I'd recommend learning pentatonics and major/minor scales and arps of the chord that comes from each degree of the scale (Cmaj7, Dm7, Em7, F7... so on). After that, apply the above exercise to the changes of a tune you're working on.

Ok then I stand corrected. You will need to learn arpeggios. Eventually. They are essential for sweep picking which is insanely difficult. You will need to practice for many years before you can do that. Sweep picking is probably the most advanced technique reserved for literal masters.

add ear training

No, I'm not going to learn to play the guitar with my ear. I don't care for parlor tricks.

this, the true height of being great is in dedicating oneself to the absolute mastery of the great history of past masterpieces and the classical method, playing by ear is for those who become forgotten

how would I go about learning this song by ear alone? I barely know where to start besides a few notes and bopping the a string.

youtube.com/watch?v=G0H_5PSNokk

How else are you going to learn this? This musical performance is so nuanced. You want to learn the stumming technique and of course for the sort of music like flamenco, its an aural tradition where you have a mentor and group of people you play with and add to your skill set. Now Id say there is lots of great information in this song. Why not learn the entire melody line and play along with the record as he sings. Boy you would have a lot of blues chops and cool blues themes in your arsenal. Remember its about being musical and becoming good at expressing and communicating your ideas. You are uploading musical info to your computer. Its everywhere, you need to learn how to think like a musician not a guitar player. Dont fall into the guitar player traps.

no I mean literally, how should I go about learning this by ear?

like do I pause it every second then rewind? do I play it at 0.25 speed? are tabs cheating?

just watch a tutorial on youtube

you chunk the information. The portions are personal to you, but yes usually you play a portion of the recording as little as 2 notes and sing it back and then find it on the guitar. Then you would build until you have a phrase or lick. This could be 2 notes or several, but basically lick by lick. This is how you build your vocabulary. You will discover that like most shit you will end up retaining the info you like most. I dont see why you would learn a song like this note for note unless it was a really strickt exercise. I can guratnee he never played it the same way twice. Anywyays as your ear gets better you will be able to identify longer phrases, but yes often you can be listening over and over and over to the same second trying to get the notes and rhythm correct. Its a huge time investment and a right of passage everyone goes through. If you use tab it should be for perspective to see a different opinion. You are not developing any skills using the pain by numbers appraoch tab lays out. You need to be actively listening and immitating. Thats called audiation and its essentially to really playing music.

damn, thanks for taking the time to type all that out. I'll make you proud M.A. user

I am strongly against learning cover songs as any part of instruction at all. You need to simply learn the fundamentals of how the song is constructed. Then you can learn the song to check your knowledge. As you probably already guessed its the blues scale. Also I'm not familiar with him but it sounds like he's finger picking. So thats really important if you want to play it 100% exactly the same. Otherwise learn the full 12 fret blues scale and the E and A type bar chord and you're probably good to go.

remeber to not get too bogged down in theory and opinions. When in doubt think of /fit. People will argue the right way to do anything. Whats important is you are doing something. Result speak for themselves and are a reflection of the time you put in. There aren't short cuts and you need to think about what your goals are. Is a slowing down machine cheating? Let the guys who are not practicing argue about that. Anytime spent focused is developing you in some way so spend more time doing than talking.

Still theoretically sound.

No you are not simply good to go. You are good to fool yourself and play shitty lines. Learning music and a genre of music is like learning a language and a dialect. We are here to express ourselves not be scientific faggots. You need to learn the vocab. The nuances. You need to lift the licks. No one has ever just learned the scale and became a good improvisor its a meme that hacks say to inflate thier own shitty state. I never heard a great player tell me they never lifted a solo. You need to learn to talk the talk to walk the walk. Take your fadora and leave.

Well anyone can take whichever advice they want. It sounds to me like youre just on cheap meth and completely lying. You dont seem like you know what youre talking about at all. Classic case of telling a whole lot and saying absolutely nothing.

Because I am unironically an expert and in the end its always the simplist answer. Shut up and just do it. Thats what 100k of education and 6 years of research amounted to. Some people fake it and talk shit like you. Are you a professional player? I highly doubt it as there is nothing to dispute in what I am saying. Its an academic truth. Le 10 000 hours meme. You sound like someone who has spent your 10 000 on Sup Forums being the resident false expert.

not him but do you make music because I would love to follow you

The question was about a 3 minutes song which I specifically addressed. Gee I wonder why you chose to launch into your tirade of pontification. Adderall most likely.

How do I learn this by ear?
>I am strongly against learning cover songs as any part of instruction at all. You need to simply learn the fundamentals of how the song is constructed. Then you can learn the song to check your knowledge. As you probably already guessed its the blues scale. Also I'm not familiar with him but it sounds like he's finger picking. So thats really important if you want to play it 100% exactly the same. Otherwise learn the full 12 fret blues scale and the E and A type bar chord and you're probably good to go.
You answered nothing just inserted an opinion on why not to do what was asked becaue youre a moron who couldnt answer but still feels the need to speak. Most likely due to insecurity and a need for attention.

I make shitty stock music for an advertising company. You really are best to stay as far away from my music as possible.

It's not my opinion that it's the blues scale you fucking junkie.

This is good advice, I spent a lot of time practising scales & when I tried to play everything sounded like playing scales..

Arpeggios are a much better thing to learn.

So you are saying a piece of blues music used the blue scale? Wow goldstar and a pat on the head for you. Now as I said take the fedora and leave. Ill take it from here faker. Scales are just really 2 appegios put together when you boil it all down. You got your tension (dominant) and the resolution (tonic) Without knowing the 2 destinations its like having a map to nowhere. Thats exactly how people running scales sound. Where are you going? I dunno wherever my last note ends I guess.

Yeah and that's the thread topic: for beginners

Yes they are that, but they sound a lot more musical to play & they outline the chords so a beginner gets a better idea of what works.
Arpeggios first scales after.

The fact that no one has agreed with you or even acknowleged anything you said but me the guy calling you out for being a neckbeard should send a strong message that its time to just take a hike from the thread. Im sure there are other threads where you can fool a few people into thinking you have some level of expertise on a topic. You are being very reddit in you inability to bow out. We are user you are an user loser who is wrong in one thread just leave its so easy to do. No karma or upvotes here to protect. Just leave and fake knowing shit somehwere else.

What does it mean to know your arpeggios? Like memorize every arpeggio in existence?

Learn songs
Exercises are useful, they can also be fun, but they are what you do when you hit a roadblock or see a specific issue with your playing.
Really learning a couple songs will make you a much better musician.

Arpeggios are simply playing a chord note by note instead of strumming the whole chord, if you learn certain arpeggio shapes they stay the same for different chords

I play bass, so I learn the arpeggios for a key and then I can play them for any key using the same shapes.

If you're willing to practise for long, then that's okay. Still, those exercises are too much for a beginner and I don't want you to give up guitar. Just run a fun scales to get used to which notes belong together and then practise parts of songs

Its a language so not too much to memorize. Learn the taxonomy and the name of the arpeggio/chord is right there in the name. You dont memorize the digits to 1009 you know its 1009 from the number naming system. When somone says one thousand and 9 you know its 1009

>We are user
Speaking of fedoras

says the tripfag
stay away from scales. Thats like learning the dictionary instead of sentence structure. Scales are for analysis and have no pratical use. The pentatonic group of notes are not a scale in the same sense. They only relate to 1 chord and are in fact an arpeggio of that chord.

I like your posts, Sup Forums could use more people like you
Do you have more advice on transcribing and playing by ear?

>Is a slowing down machine cheating? Let the guys who are not practicing argue about that.
Damn, well put.
I'd say it's very useful, but if you can recognise licks at full speed after some time you should do that, you'll have an easier time with rhythm.

Learn to sing solfege. Then when you hear a phrase you sing it back with solfege. Use a movable "Do" this way everything is related through intervals. Like smoke on the water is do mai(flat me forgot the spelling) fa
do mai so fa
do mai fa
mai do

This is good for conceptualizing shit and really gets your ear and brain connected. It also allows you to lift with out an instrument or compose a melody in your head and remember it for later. Just another language to be more musically fit.

>compose a melody in your head and remember it for later
Damn, I really need that. I just record everything but that isn't always possible.
Thanks mate.

EXERCISES LMAO

>fighting games.
fightas? learn some combos i mean learn neo-classical licks !

you for real? not just larping that you got an MA?

Ya but I mean lets be honest we live in the education bubble anyone can get a PhD these days in your favorite hobby. I basically got a paper that says im into music. Everything passed an undergrad is a meme in fine arts education. You just write a paper about something and work in the university teaching as part of the pyramid scheme making money off undergrads.

I can't listen to this fumbling. I don't get the robert johnson meme. Dude can't sing, dude can't count.

This annoys me so fucking much. They keep making me analyze films when I should be developing a portfolio of screenplays. At 300-400 level I shouldn't have to be wasting my time with this anymore. It isn't practical.

scales are the best way to go.

learn to fucking write

it also sounds like shit and is peak wank

he’s right, i play the saxophone and this is the same advice i got from all of my instructors, they all said they can immediately tell when people are wanking off scales and it always sounds like shit, and that i should listen to other people and steal their shit

everybody steals eachothers licks, that’s how it works

What the fuck is wrong with you. Why would you not just learn how to play the guitar by playing stuff you like. Playing scales and studying theory is the single worst thing you can do if you are new to guitar. Just learn songs you like then when it comes to writing a song just copy bits from songs you like.