What are the main differences of work and employment between in the US and in Europe?

What are the main differences of work and employment between in the US and in Europe?

I heard Americans occasionally needed to start their own tiny company just to get a vocational career to get employed by others.
Is that the same in Europe?

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.co.uk/news/business-40504734
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Europe is not a country. Things change depending of the country.

americans literally get no leave, not even sick leave

then, how about Fronce and the US? or Germany or Britain if you know it better than the US.

Americans are really hard workers.

greeks work more hours

need to pay debts!

the main difference is americans get paid more overall but work longer hours. when you consider productivity and actual wage per hour worked, the US is pretty far down the totem pole compared to western europe. in the US your work is often your life, while over here we have free time to do other things and kick up a fuss if there isn't a good reason to work more than ~ 40 hours a week, even less on the continent.

this is the important part, they are not "hard workers", they work long hours but they do not work particularly hard. hence the productivity aspect.

In the Netherlands you get a minimum of 4 weeks of paid free days.
In the summer you get a mandatory vacation bonus of a months salary.
Working part time is normal.
You cant get fired for bullshit reasons, or else they will have to compensate you.

i should add to this that the continent basically shuts down this time of year because of how many people are on leave. generally the UK is between the US and the continent in terms of hours worked, leave, employee rights etc.

Lol yeah I read somewhere that some Americans have a set number of sick days?

In the Netherlands you can be sick for 2 years.
Then your boss can fire you and the government will take over.

not true, but iirc about 10 days is standard when you start then you get +1 day per year with a company

something like that, an american can confirm (one of the two or three on this board who actually have a job)

pretty much informative.
I understand them as Americans can sometimes be sloppy during work but Europeans are given more vacations and saved in terms of employment.

I think that in America its important that you write everything down.
While if you dont even have a contract it wont be a big problem here because you will get basic rights anyway.

US has high productivity actually, it's the UK that has a real problem with it

bbc.co.uk/news/business-40504734

>I heard Americans occasionally needed to start their own tiny company just to get a vocational career to get employed by others
what?

I get 20 days vacation and 7 personal days per year. I've been working at this job for a little under 2 years. I am an attorney. Take that for what you will.

I unironically have 36 paid free days. But I think thats very unusual.

>americans get paid more
This isn't even true

Allow me to state the obvious, since everyone is going in circles around the subject, but doesn't have the guts to say it: Americans are pretty much willing slaves to their corporations, and can't even begin to fathom that it doesn't have to be that way.

It's true for many prominent professions, such as attorney, medical doctor, university professor, engineer, and CEO.

But the truly distinguishing feature in American employment is that in the US, At-will employment is the norm, other than a small percentage of collectively bargained positions. I.e. a company can fire you for any reason (other than for discrimination based on color, race, country of origin, sex, and religion) and you can leave for any reason.

Oh for top positions yeah
Not the average working class job though