Kinomatography?

Kinomatography?

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/name/nm0005569/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Should've just made a series of movies. Next you know Narnia will be rebooted of Netflix.

No, it is neither cinema nor auter.

MY NAME IS A STEPHANO

THE C IS FOR COURAGEOUS
JUST ANOTHER WORD FOR BRAVE

>All the normies dismissing this show out of hand because not muh Jim Carrey
Youtube comments are disgusting

>Should've just made a series of movies
They tried it. It didn't return Harry Potter numbers so they pulled the plug on the franchise. Also it was garbage because they fired the author and their director a year into production.

it's figuratively shit

Tried watching the first episode, it's soo garbage.
>Lemony Snicket's a series of unfortunate events
More like
>A dead narrator's series of shit jokes and spoilt brats

The only thing I liked about this was the theme song.

Josephine is the worst actress ever put to screen, it's embarrassing

Also they should have spent more money on sets and less money on video game cgi sunny

Patrick Warburton and the bookend scenes are the best part of the show. How does it stack up when compared to the books?

Good reddit tier reference!

yeah I would expect something like this from fucking normies REEE
about to marathon episode 5, liking it so far.
specially when high

>How does it stack up when compared to the books?
It's almost completely accurate, and has large blocks of dialogue pulled word-for-word from the books. They have added elements to the plot, but almost nothing has been removed. It's about what I would expect, given that the author of the books is the screenwriter.

>Josephine is the worst actress ever put to screen
She has a 40 year film career. You're a little late to try to get her off the air.
imdb.com/name/nm0005569/

so glad normies dont like it, it means less people hating/obsessing over best Violet

The miserable mill was almost completely made up.
All the adult scenes are made up.
Poe wasn't black and obnoxious neither was his wife. In fact his wife gets almost no lines in the books.
You never see sir's face nor are the workers hypnotized.

They fucked up this series.

Fuck off the movie was great, much better than the show.

No it absolutely wasn't.

They really fucked up miserable mill.

The Miserable Mill was still largely accurate, the biggest thing they changed was their motivation for being there.

>nor are the workers hypnotized.
Did you really buy the idea that the workers were paid in coupons and fed with chewing gum of their own free will?

K. Todd Freeman's Mr. Poe is one of the best things about the series.

It also means she gets less screen time and exposure when the show get's cancelled.
Lrn2foresight

They also removed Sunny's swordfight with Dr. Orwell and had her die in an incinerator instead of to the buzz saw.
The broad strokes were still accurate, it was just a few altered details.

The series WOULD be kino if it wasn't for Normie Reddit Harris ruining every scene he's in

They were actually paid and this show took place in the steam era where labor laws were at its worse.

I like it well enough. Honestly, as much as the movie completely butchered the plot, it was genuinely perfect in every other way, and it's hard to compare this to it. Most of the acting here feels stilted, and the heavy lore additions seem like executive meddling to me. Still, it's worth it for when it gets a scene right.

It was pretty good. Not fantastic, but good enough. It seemed like it was trying to channel Wes Anderson + Tim Burton, and it worked sometimes, but mostly it looked like a made-for-VOD series.

Still entertaining, though.

Without NPH the show would be under the radar.

>They were actually paid
Reread the book. They really were paid exclusively in coupons. I reread the series recently, I am confident.
>and this show took place in the steam era
The time period of the show is completely undefined. It's full of anachronisms, everything from the show is from a different era.

As it should be

>Did you really buy the idea that the workers were paid in coupons and fed with chewing gum of their own free willive
>expecting this series to be accurate to real life

I find it sad you couldn't figure out that it was meant to be hyperbolic to emphasize the working class being exploited in factories and being paid less than what they deserve while still choosing to live that kind of life.

The whole series is supposed to be very cynical, that's why Aunt Josephine tries to trade the kids lives for herself and the workers are too afraid of change to even complain about horrible working conditions. it's like you didn't even understand the point of Phil in the factory.

Man, I don't know if I should be disappointed or relieved that they didn't try to do the swordfight. I thought maybe she'd at least THREATEN her with a sword, or maybe hold a knife to her face and she bites it away.

And the fire thing, ehhh. It works, and I don't really care, but they could have easily shown her slipping back towards the saw blade and cutting away to the crowd reacting as they burst in. They did that with Phil's leg, even though that wasn't a fatal accident.

>It also means she gets less screen time and exposure
DOUBT.PNG
specially when shes being considered for Supergirl

The show is literally a comedy I can't give a flying fuck about anything in the show. Half because the acting is so horrible, the other half is that for a show supposed to be how miserable life is, they sure do stop to make meme jokes that make the normies laugh, so its impossible to take anything seriously.

The movie was
>More consistent tone with the books
>Nailed the atmosphere
>MUCH better Olaf
>Perfect mix of humor and seriousness
>MUCH better acting
>Not guilty of shoehorning in niggers and phajeets.
>Comfy Uncle Monty, much better Aunt Josephine
>CGI didn't look like ps2 graphics
>Better music

then why do normies hate it you big dummy

>and the heavy lore additions seem like executive meddling to me
The "meddling" is being done by the author himself. Netflix has no creative input.

I know he wrote the teleplays, but I seriously doubt that the producers just said, "Go at it!" and left it at that.

The buzz saw would be too savage to put on netflix. I guess they could just cut it out but they're trying to take the easy safe route in this show. This is also why Phil's leg incident looked extremely cartoony.

Show is shit

>The show is literally a comedy
The books are literally a comedy. Most of the show's jokes are culled from the books.

I can't deal with all this criticism being leveled at the series from people who have only seen the movie. You have no idea what the story is actually supposed to be.

t. Cunt Olaf

I mean good try, but Handler is also producing.

>Netflix backed show
>only 3 seasons needed to adapt everything
>already renewed for a second season
>cancelled
Do you understand how much they would have to fuck up to get netflix to actually pull the plug on the series with only 8 more episodes needed to give it the originally planned ending? I don't see it happening, especially with an actor like NPH wanting to do it.

>>MUCH better Olaf
whats it like being wrong all the time and having wrong opinions?
must be hard
Jim "look at me im acting" Carrey is not a better Count Olaf you fucking redditor

Sure, as a producer. There are three Executive Producers who all have final say.

>More consistent tone with the books
>Nailed the atmosphere

This is the only thing you got right.
If they were capable of keeping the same atmosphere then this series would be great but as of now they have to maintain the jarring tone they have of crappy meme comedy mixed with James Bond antics from the adults.

He was absolutely better. Much greater range when he'd assume the other roles, much more threatening when he needed to be, and much funnier when he was supposed to be.

It's a shame that NPH's Olaf is so shit because Olaf's troupe is legitimately one of the best parts of the show, if not the best

Forgive my I've watched a few interviews. They're quite clear that Handler had the final say on any story changes. Only 3 of the episodes weren't written by him. Also, he is Executive Producing. Excuse my previous error.
believe what you like though

His entire performance was Jim Carrey improv comedy. I felt like I was watching an evil Ace Ventura. Jim Carrey did not play the character I remembered from the novels.

That was the point, Olaf's a fucking actor, that was an intentional decision, makes him appear slightly insane as well. Carrey's Olaf was also threatening I have a hard time viewing the 30 yr old gay dude from how I met your mother as a threatening villain.

They're fucking children's books, the black comedy from the books are primarily aimed at older people reading the books. At its heart, the books are about shitty things happening and how to deal with them. Why the fuck am im supposed to care about a fucking baby being trapped in a tower while Neil (the walking meme) Patrick Harris is making normie jokes about buying something on the internet (omg XDXDXD).

>Implying the 30 yr old meme with the high squeaky voice WAS who you pictured as Olaf.

You're right, I thought I'd seen his name as Producer in the credits, but it was NPH.

It still seems likely to me that getting those in early was at the request of Netflix executives. I'm not saying he pushed back against it, just that they would have, as part of their market research, wanted to try and tie it in that way early, because it's part of the netflix show binge structure.

Why do they keep trying to make this into a quirky comedy? It should be dark and depressing.

She's ugly, so is the kid who plays Clause.

NPH is much farther from how I read it. He's just not intimidating.

>the black comedy from the books are primarily aimed at older people reading the books
No, a thousand times no. The dry wit is the entire appeal of the series. The concept of the series may be a subversion of sanitized children's literature, but you can't carry a series on that. The books stand entirely on their humour.

The Count Olaf of the books is described as having has a high, wheezy, raspy voice. Neither NPH or Carrey really captured that. The key difference here is the writing. They let Carrey improvise his way through all his scenes in the movie, whereas NPH is actually following a script.

Because it's a black comedy, you rube

>Why do they keep trying to make this into a quirky comedy?
read the books

I dropped it when the baby chewed the rock. What the fuck is that shit?

NPH really looked like he phoned in his performance. And the CGI is fucking atrocious. Klaus looks like a faggot.

Other than that it's OK.

>The books stand entirely on their humour.
TO ADULTS. That's why you and I can read them and see them as something special, but to the actual fucking target audience, its supposed to be a depressing shitshow. And most of the comedy isn't even black anyways, its just memes.

I don't remember the books talking about his voice being high pitched, but Carrey's voice was threatening. He looked like Count Olaf. NPH looks like NPH wearing Count Olaf make-up.

I read these books as a kid, and you're a fucking idiot.

They put the rock and the crane arm into the opening scene to get your suspension of disbelief geared up to the right level. In the 4th book, the baby has a sword fight with her teeth. It's not a realistic story.

>TO ADULTS
Man were you some kind of retard child or something? I read this series in 6th grade. It had me in stitches. I joked about it with my siblings for ages. I remember the books as profoundly funny. Was I just an indescribably intelligent child, and all of my peers couldn't understand the jokes? What gives?

Did they fuck up Olaf again? I read most of the books and he was always this really ominous figure, not a bumbling goofball.

Everyone spouting the buzzwords "NPH acts like NPH not like Olaf", but honestly, having not seen a single eposode HIMYM, I thought he was pretty decent. He played theatrical, nasty, and comical, which is all Olaf needs really.

>Poe wasn't black and obnoxious neither was his wife. In fact his wife gets almost no lines in the books.

They combined his wife with his sister for the series for streamlining purposes. And Mr. Poe was always an obnoxious buffoon.

Olaf has funny moments in the books due to his comedic lack of self awareness. They play it up a bit more in the show, but he also has lots of scenes where he's nasty, cruel and scary. I think it works.

>ITT people who never read a series of novels critiquing what their adaption ought to be like
pathetic

If you saw HIMYM you'd understand that his acting is way too similar. He just took Barney Stinson and pasted it onto his Count Olaf performance.

>Less
This implies a correlation between success and proliferation.
Meaning celebrating normies distaste is the same as celebrating fewer foot pics or whatever queer non-JJ cunny shit you're interested in.

I don't know how anything about where the series is or where it's going but I do know it's pretty easy to bury or leave dead in the water.
>No frontpage
>No shilling
>No paid reviews
>No re-release
>Unweighted recommendations etc

It was just for a short point that the dude's rooting for the wrong cause.

The kids were soo disrespectful.
They get to live in a damn castle and then they turn their nose up, backtalk and expect to be pampered?
I mean the dude did a bloody song and dance with 10 friends to welcome them home and they need to be TOLD to clap?

Also
>Narrator: "omg this is so tragic, this is some serious shit"
>Kid's parents die
>Not a single tear shed
>No raw emotional turmoil to jerk off to
Like seriously bro, the dude repeated how fucked up it's gunna be like 4 times, the least I expect is one braingasm.

>The kids were soo disrespectful.
>They get to live in a damn castle and then they turn their nose up, backtalk and expect to be pampered?
>I mean the dude did a bloody song and dance with 10 friends to welcome them home and they need to be TOLD to clap?

Would you please leave the premises?

Olaf puts the kids in shitty conditions to try to coerce them to use their money to renovate his house. I'm not going to give anything away, but Olaf's continual plotting against the kids is his revenge against their dead parents.

Who's the best henchman? Neither Man or Woman, Powdered Twins or Hook Hands?

I think its because hes a manlet. I always pictured Olaf Tall and Lanky

>I don't remember the books talking about his voice being high pitched
His voice is consistently described in the books as reedy and wheezy. Reedy is a word which here means "high and thin in tone". I kind of imagined him with a high, raspy voice. NPH commented on this in an interview and said that he couldn't really make it work for him.

The hook-handed man will always be the best
Well, him and Esme

Hook for hands. But I like how they gave Person of Indeterminate Gender some personality. What they fucked up was Bald Man though, he was way nastier in the books, a perfect contrast to the other henchmen who just seemed like they were doing what they were told.

Also, I see people saying "dark humor" or whatever.
How is it supposed to be dark when it doesn't make you think?
How are you supposed to suspend sympathy if it isn't there in the first place?

Except the money is locked away till the girl's 18.
It may be the writer's intention but it just comes across as regular shitty parenting, with less violence and more stability.

I've read the series, and I liked it. So here are my thoughts:

>NPH does pretty well with what he's given in terms of dialogue. He acts well and can be funny at times, but his voice doesn't fit the part and his lines are sometimes unnecessary
>sets are pretty cool looking and there are some really great shots
>the show in general is a little too upbeat for how edgy it's supposed to be, but it's also nice that the edginess isn't heavy handed. You will be reminded at several times that this is a kids' show
>everybody but Patrick Warburton acts over the top. It works sometimes, and other times it's just too much. It honestly feels like a theatrical play
>in the similar vein of NPH's unnecessary lines, there are also some gags and dialogue that the show could do without
>plot worked very well in conjunction with the book. There were some extra background info and stories given, but it didn't reveal too much and it was respectable fan service that explained or fleshed out some moments from the books
>the episode 7 reveal was pretty gr8 even if you knew, because the show had you going for a little while by including something that wasn't in the book. I'm probably an idiot for liking it, but that was probably the best moment of the show for me

I'd rate it 8/10, if they fix some of the critiques next season I could easily move it up to a higher rating. If you don't want to watch anything remotely related to children's tv or goofiness, I wouldn't recommend it.

>Except the money is locked away till the girl's 18.
Abusing the children so they'll buy their way into reasonable comfort was only his first plan. After he learns that their parents' will won't allow this to work, he starts working on other ways to take legal possession of their estate.

Oh and one more thing I forgot to say.

The CGI can really suck in some shots

was the real estate joke in the books?

I mean, he hits on Violet in Episode 1 and taunts Violet and Klaus about how they can drop their sister to her death while they are at the play in Episode 2. It's not much, but it's still pretty nasty.

Going to be sad when he ends up lion food though,

Fernald is best boy.

Okay I might be too dumb for a children's show or just sleep-deprived, but who the fuck were those two if not the parents?

Was it all just a set-up for the other two kids at the end?

He's 6'0'' you autismo

Aunt Josephine has a dread fear of real estate agents. Snicket's joke about the housing market was not in the books. It's difficult to make jokes about the housing market crash before the housing market crashed.

Aunt Josephine was always scared of realtors, if that's what you mean.

Yes. They are the parents of the Quagmire triplets. Who are characters from the books.

They were two completely unrelated members of the organization, not their parents. It was a nice bait and switch for secondaries, if you ask me.

There's another family involved in the secret organization, and they have triplets. The parents both die to arson just like the Baudelaires did, and the kids end up at the same boarding school together. They're important characters for the rest of the series.

>Aunt Josephine was always scared of realtors, if that's what you mean.
Snicket has a one liner where he explains that a fear of real estate agents is completely irrational, because as we know, nothing sinister has ever come from the real estate market.

Odd thing for him to say. Since valuable VFD hideouts were seized by realtors in the past.

It doenst mater what his height is if everyone but the kids are just as, if not, taller than him.

>everybody but Patrick Warburton acts over the top. It works sometimes, and other times it's just too much. It honestly feels like a theatrical play
I agree with all of your thoughts except this one. Every single side character in the books is ludicrously over the top, usually focusing on only a few character traits, to the point of comedy. I was happy that they didn't tone anything down.

>you never see sir's face
>in a book
Wew lad

In the book, Sir has a thick cloud of cigar smoke that follows him everywhere and completely obscures his face. It was funny in the book, but would look awful on film. I'm glad they didn't try it, the CGI would be unbearable.

He is described as constantly having his face hidden behind a cloud of smoke.

>this show took place in the steam era where labor laws were at its worse.
I didn't know they had walkie talkies and modern cars in the 19th century.
The more you know.

Sir is described as constantly having his face covered by a cloud of cigar smoke in the book.

Frankly, they made a wise decision and compromised. There's no way to make that look good in live action without murdering the budget.

There still could have been creative ways of hiding his face. This shows so often goes for jokes so it wouldnt break away from the tone.