What are some signs you're watching a Zombie Simpsons episode?

what are some signs you're watching a Zombie Simpsons episode?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Simpsons_guest_stars
deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

its not funny

lol the cherry picking in that image is unreal

What cherry picking?

Google it you twat.

He asked "What cherry picking?" not "What is cherry picking?"

Go back to school, twat

They have two-tone shading over one.

lol that second one looks like a vcr or some shit

what the fuck

Computer colouring rather than hand painted. That alone eliminates several seasons of shit.

Celebrities play themselves instead of characters in the show

>tfw matt groening hated the look of the first half of the simpsons for being 'off-model' like in OP's example

How could someone so wrong be in charge of something so right?

did her breasts get smaller in the top one?

Old Marge is dabbing!

>what is the 1980s

It's in HD

IT's 16:9

It's bright and colourful.

Surrounded by talented people, like George Lucas and Star Wars.

>marge's voice sounds like a trashbag
>use of smartphones
>bart acts more immature than he was in the old simpsons
>homer gets a job not at the nuclear plant
>celebrity
>anti-humor jokes

Shadows

Phil Hartman isn't doing any of the voices in it.

>homer groans loudly
>pop culture references instead of jokes
>everyone has iphones

there is absolutely nothing wrong with modern Simpsons

9 of every 10 jokes are explained, we are supossed to laugh at the explanation not a jokes itself because LOLitsbadonpurpose kind of joke.
it hurts.

>homer gets a job not at the nuclear plant
You mean like the GOAT episodes where he was an astronaut, Mr Plow and Krusty

>mfw I knew I was gonna get this reply as I was typing that out

I take it back user.

"You know, I’ve had a lot of jobs: boxer, mascot, astronaut, imitation Krusty, baby proofer, trucker, hippie, plow driver, food critic, conceptual artist, grease salesman, carny, mayor, grifter, body guard for the mayor, country western manager, garbage commissioner, mountain climber, farmer, inventor, Smithers, Poochie, celebrity assistant, power plant worker, fortune cookie writer, beer baron, Kwik-E-Mart clerk, homophobe, and missionary"

fucking retard

New Simpsons isn't that bad. Their average episode is on par with the average episode of the "golden age." I think the problem is less declining quality and more people growing out of the Simpsons and moving on while they continued doing roughly the same thing.

celebrity appearances past season 7

Started in season 2.

Celebrity doesn't mean bad
>Burns, Baby Burns (Rodney Dangerfield)
>Homer and Apu (James Woods)
>O Brother, Where Bart Thou?. (Danny Devito)
some of the best

Wrong you fucking 20 year old faggot

>Nelson explains why he laughed

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Simpsons_guest_stars
>Tony Bennet as Himself in "Dancin' Homer"
>Season 2

Yea, I pretty agree with this guy Michael Jackson was my favorite celeb because of how emotional that episode was.

Whoops, meant

The amount of characters with 'realistic' faces.

found the millenial

If you think this is true, you just missed most of the jokes in the earlier seasons.

That's not a criticism of you btw, but the golden age would have jokes so densely packed into one scene it was insane. No other show ever even came close to the Simpsons at their peak.

Because he wasn't in charge. He basically had absolutely fucking nothing to do with golden age Simpsons, he just cashed in the checks.

>what are some signs you're watching a Zombie Simpsons episode?
1) The animation was done by a computer in Flash.

2) Bart turns to the camera after a joke and does a knowing, fourth-wall breaking wink.

3) Homer behaves like a fool and then Lisa says "dad that's stupid" but then Marge or Homer either tell Lisa to shut up or hit Lisa and tell her to shut up.

4) Lisa is a lesbian.

5) Maggie is transgendered.

6) There is a scene where characters have sex and nothing is censored.

7) Flanders is African-American.

8) Police Chief Wiggum isn't a police chief.

9) Chalmers is a Super Nintendo.

10) Your television is on and Simpsons is playing but you aren't laughing.

all old cartoons that are still being animated suffer from this
popularity = boosted budget

Like a lot of people, I was a teenager when Simpsons first started playing. Maybe I missed some jokes, but given how many times my family and I have seen those old episodes and still reference them, I really doubt it.

Only catch the new episodes every now and then, so maybe I'm also missing the really shitty ones (never saw the Lady Gaga one) but the ones I've seen weren't that bad.

30 Rock was just as packed with jokes and at it's best just as good as golden age Simpsons.

Nelson is smiling

I disagree with both parts of your statement but ok
I remember reading a line-by-line list of jokes for that scene where Skinner tries to get the class to this Civil War reenactment or some shit and there's some ridiculous amount in just one scene, even jokes referencing old 60's comic strip characters or some shit.

There's a lot of stuff in The Simpsons back in the 90s that is nearly impossible to get it all unless you're an expert on a huge amount of pop culture.

Jesus christ Marge creeps me out in this. She's so... unnatural or something

moron

It was produced after Phil Hartman died.

So then everyone thinks new Simpsons wasn't that bad because everyone missed some jokes with old Simpsons because it was "so dense?"

It's not just lacking in soul, it's poorly animated. The top one may not be conventionally pretty, but it conveys a lot. Marge whips around to the cart, the panic growing in her eyes and posture, until Maggie pops out of the bag. She breaths a sigh of relief and relaxes for a moment before leaving. The bottom has Marge twist her head from the cash register to the cart while smiling an uncanny grin before cutting to a gag of Maggie shaking her fist at another baby. Except the shaking is barely even a shaking. It's a two frame gif, like you drew two pictures and are just flipping them back and forth quickly.

It's just not good by any conventional measure.

Why do you still watch it if you know it's so bad?
The series should've gone away a long time ago. I once heard somebody say he never misses an episode
The guy was a total numbskull, a fucking potato head. Don't be that guy

Sounds like you're a bit dense over there.

The point was that the writers were clearly putting a fuckload more thought and effort into their writing during the heyday of the Simpsons and were consistently pumping out a high quality show.

I'm not saying that people were sipping cognac and appreciating the comedic density, but writing like that does pick up a lot more laughs, there were way more throwaway jokes that kept the entertaining moments coming throughout, and was generally just more fun to watch all round, but now you're only getting that level of quality once in a blue moon.

I don't really see it, and if it's not something anyone picked up because they'd have to know everything to get every joke, I don't think other people see it, either.

So I guess I'll just have to agree to disagree with you because I really don't want to talk about invisible jokes that no one can see but they were totally there so it was funnier.

A few factors come to mind: quotability, attention to layers of humor, quality of references, and characterization.

As far as quotability is concerned, Golden Age Simpsons is chock-full of great moments that have entered public consciousness, as silly as that may sound. Hank Scorpio's dialogue, "I am so smart! S-M-R-T", and other bits have become iconic and emblematic of the style and delivery of Simpsons humor. If you're watching an episode where a "memetic moment" doesn't seem to readily appear or isn't recognizable (though that relies on a more comprehensive background, that can be a good indication that it's a zombie episode.

Layers of humor no doubt plays a large part in identifiable moments as I've mentioned above, and no doubt other anons can attest to the wit of Golden Age Simpsons far more thoroughly than I will here. Quality of references, too, can be covered in this. Some later episodes (like S10E23) have good moments--"Homer, you liked Rashomon!", "That's not how I remember it..."--but there is a special attention to HOW a reference is used to deliver a particular joke and for what purpose (see: Poochie).

The big one though would be characterization: are these characters believable, or are they exaggerated personalities which defy suspension of disbelief? There's always been an absurdist tone when looking at certain Simpsons characters and the events that happen to them, but critically look at whether they appear to be multi-faceted. How they respond to events or jokes, for example, can demonstrate whether the writing is significantly weaker than the writing seen in earlier seasons. Celebrity cameos are a staple of this failure, as Zombie Simpsons episodes tend to jar expectations of HOW characters should act in relation to the introduced events (and celebrity) of that episode.

It's sterile and doesn't try to harm anyone.

>blackwashing

>there is absolutely nothing wrong with quality degradation and outsourcing

Simpsons seasons 1-10 are also pretty colourful. They're fucking yellow and they live in a pink house.

He was clearly ironic, Lord Autisimo

Fuck off you triggered cunt

you're right, they are colourful -- but they aren't bright. the whole colour palette took a big shift into higher brightness to make characters stand out from backgrounds.

Who the fuck even is this baby? I don't remember episode about their rivalry. Is it one of the poorly executed "running gags?"

In the french version Homer's voice becomes progressively more high-pichted and cartoonish as the show goes on, so I can identify if it's a good episode just by sound.

Yea, the baby rivalry is just a forced running gag.

Nice

I am fairly certain everything after 5 is bullshit...

Right?

It's the same style as the movie. Like literally right after the movie came out did the switch to HD and making the backgrounds more detailed. They also switched over to using cel shade 3D at the same time which looks just as out of place as Family Guy's.

That's a big indicator.

go to bed Al

in old Simpsons the comedy served the plot, in new Simpsons the plot is woven around the "comedy".

Improve the quality of your posts. You are too low quality.

Do you know what the age range is for millennials is? If you reached the age of 18 between 2000 and 2015 you're considered a millennial. I'm going to guess you were born between the years of 1982 and 1997.

This has far less to do with millennials and more to do with our society of constantly critically thinking about everything has created groups that critically think positively against what others mostly agree with is bad. Look at all these "critical thinkers" discussing how good the Star Wars prequels are now. When we constantly bash something, at some point someone is gonna say the opposite.

I fucking hate that happened to South Park. It takes away the crudeness of the show when newer characters now have highly detailed faces, hair and movements when put next to the original characters. I wanna punch the person in the face that said this was a good choice. They even switched to CG usage which looks awful as usual.

there was a time when they know how to do good celebrity cameos but eventually celebrity appearances were just a good indicator that the episode was more likely than not gonna suck

dipshit

When you see homer doing shit like this.

When i saw the blackface bart episode i was done with the series.

Did nobody throughout the production of this episode think this was a bad idea?

For everyone that thinks our expectations changed and not the show. It is NOT just nostalgia, the decline is real.

deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/

It did, but it didn't become the norm until zombie Simpsons. They're usually give the celebrity something to do and an organic reason to interact with the characters too, now it's all "Hi I'm the current flavour of the month, just passing through Springfield."

Nincompoop

Yeah.

I still don't know if that rumor is true about Andy Dick's coke-slut wife getting Phil Hartman's coke slut wife back onto cocaine, driving her crazy and causing her to shoot him and then herself.. but i think if i ever met Andy Dick i'd probably kick him in the nuts first and then ask him about it while he lies on the ground, moaning in pain.

Come on, they had Julian Assange as a guest.

Gratuitous blood and gore

Even tree house of horror tried to be more creative in violence than Family Guy-tier shit where a crowd of people get run over by peter driving a bus or something.

Bellend

Nigger

kike

Faggot

R-Tard

>Shilling the botnet jew

Pissant

Andy Dick himself, wasn't it? Her getting back on the drugs was definitely a factor, but I'm pretty sure there was talk of them splitting up before that. Offering drugs to a recovering addict is still a dick move though.

ur dumb kid

You sir, lack tact.

Marge sounds like she's having a stroke just reading her lines

Knobhead

Wanker.

>maggie's fist shaking is literally two frames

twat

phaggot