College Hoops Corruption Scandal

Lots of coaches have been arrested. Hearing Auburn, South Carolina, and Oklahoma State are involved, as well as many others.

this sounds antisemetic

Hopefully they arrested that conman John Calipari.

What a great year for American sports

The Kentucky school sounds like Louisville and the Alabama school sounds like auburn, going by indictments. Won't know for sure till presser.

One of the arrests is a sports marketing exec for Adidas holy shit

So some college coaches steered players to agents and to Adidas deals and got paid to do it.

Can't say I'm surprised.

This is great. The NCAA is one of the most corrupt organizations in history.

Kentucky school is indeed Louisville. Recruit was bribed to go there. Brian Bowen is recruit, was bribed with 100k. This is a big happening brehs.

Louisville Courier Journal reporting a coach was involved in the bribe and installment payments. Even if it isn't him, Rick Pitino is fucking finished. He'll be fired before the end of the week. Maybe before the end of the day.

kek
>tfw an adidas fanboy
at least their shoes are great

Words like fraud and corruption make it seem more serious than the usual case of players getting their hands on wads of cash. Could it be betting shenanigans?

Doubt it. Sounds like Adidas is recruiting future endorsement deals in high school. Bribed family's to go to certain schools, sign with certain agents, and then eventually sign a legit endorsement deal down the road.

>Trump & Castronick team up to destroy the NFL
>FBI destroys NCAAB
What sport is next?

These indictments are just what they have evidence on. Just reading what's alleged I'd be worried if I were any Adidas school.

This was Pitino not too long ago on getting the All American recruit, Brian Bowen, who we now know was paid $100,000 to go to Louisville.

i wonder if nike and underarmor does the same
damn, so many under-the-table dealings you don't even think about until they're uncovered. money truly drives innovation

Wtf, the NCAA toId me all these guys were amateurs? Why is this corruption going on with student-athletes??

Black markets in particular drive innovation. Smugglers always have to keep up with technology.

We did it guys! The NCAA won't give a FUCK about us after this

I don't think they could go behind a school like Kentucky or Duke's back. Both are so on top of the recruiting world they would know. But I think it'd be pretty easy for any shoe company to go behind 99% of college's backs and pull strings to dictate recruiting.

No, it's about endorsement deals. Shoe deals are huge for these companies, it's not an exaggeration to say that the best thing to happen to Nike and the worst thing to happen to Adidas was Adidas passing on Michael Jordan back in the 80s.

And we already know that companies are actively targeting high schoolers. When Lebron James was in high school, Adidas sponsored his school team and bought billboards in his hometown, Reebok bought his mom a car, and Nike gave him $100 million.

Hired prostitutes for high schoolers and signed a kid who was paid 100k to go to Louisville. Rick Pitino has to resign today, right?

How is this corruption? Why isn’t it just a violation of NCAA rules? Who cares if players are getting paid to go to a certain school.

JUST

Auburn is a Under Armor school, why would Adidas pay their players?

Because UA and Adidas were both doing it

based Nike

The guy implicated at Auburn is Chuck Person. Feds allege he took 50K to steer a player towards an agent.

They probably won't give any of these schools the death penalty they deserve either, unless one of them is unfortunate enough to be a literally who with low ratings.

This was a 3 year undercover sting operation ran by the FBI and US Attorney's office. Sounds like the FBI caught some early, flipped them, then ran the undercover sting.

Arizona, USC and Ok State coaches were all arrested too
All Nike schools

I know the death penalty is an overused meme at this point, but Louisville is currently under probation for buying high school teenagers prostitutes on official visits to try and get them to sign there. Now while on this probation, they just got busted with a 100K bribe to a top recruit.

That could literally call for the death penalty.

oh...so were they all shoe related or were some just coaches steering player towards agents not related to shoes?

Merl Code of Nike was also arrested.

Its naive to believe that Nike and Under Armor aren't doing the same thing as Adidas.

You must not know athletic director Juric.

>Louisville is currently under probation for buying high school teenagers prostitutes on official visits to try and get them to sign there
i un-ironically believe every school does this

I mean I honestly don't know...seems like Nike wouldn't be as desperate though

Didn't they allow college players to be paid to prevent stuff like this a few years ago?

lol no

Word is they were working the system to receive Pell Grants while taking in huge money from the show companies which is why the feds got involved

>hockey becomes the most popular sport in America
>literally the only sport Russians are good at
kindof makes you think

Players sued to try to get the option of being paid. They lost.

Yeah but Louisville has been the only one dumb enough to get caught

nike lost huge market shares to adidas in the last year or so

cause adidas cheating

I don't think it's worthy of the death penalty but a 10 year ban from post season play would definitely be justifiable.

lel there was an undercover agent in on one of the deals, dan wetzel was just on the dan patrick show and said this. he also said a big coach is involved but didn't say who because it didn't come out yet

You don't know how business works

That is worse than the death penalty

Death penalty only means death for one or two years

Well fill me in smart ass, be you will have exactly zero intelligent insight

Lol this thing they got caught on is common. When i played college football, every year at the end of the school year before the upcoming season and right before the start of the preseason, we'd have a team meeting where our coach specifically said for seniors or guys looking to enter the draft early to come to his office and talk with him about agents instead of doing anything on our own that might "get us in trouble".

Nobody in college sports finds agents on their own, we all get passed off and corralled to the next guy. I don't know if my coach was collecting payments like these guys were, but I wouldn't be surprised. It just sounds too easy, and it's all off the field/court so the NCAA can't easily get involved.

Players at these big time schools should be getting paid, probably like 10-20% of what NBA players make

Problem is the top 20 players are worth more than the combined rest of every player in the NCAA, so in a fair market these guys would be making big money while all other players would be making close to nothing

I say just let any player get paid what they can get and see where the chips fall. This amateur stuff is a joke at this point when administrators, coaches, and companies are making millions off these dumb kids

every man for himself now, boiz

The players were paid here retard

why is this a crime again

The same reason using steroids to bulk up is a crime.

I think you can circumvent that by just allowing the players to sign endorsement deals and make money off signatures
The school doesn't have to pay, and only those top 20 players get money

I thought the death penalty meant losing your whole team permanently like smu

You're an idiot

Then what is it?

yeah, i mean no public money going toward any of it

complete private donors or companies paying whatever to any kid. Way they structure the payments (upfront, year to year, annuity structure) would be completely left up to individual

You've already been told

The problem you run into there is that you essentially are going to further incentivize boosters bribing players to pick their school.

Never a dull moment being a Louisville fan!

between this and the NFL bullshit, it's time to do more hunting and fishing on the weekends...

>amateur sport

No shit. The problem is that the coach corralled them towards agents in exchange for bribes and additionally bribed the players. I stated my coach was getting us in touch with agents in the summers before the season started. I know boys who were getting paid second hand all season during college football. What I'm saying is I don't know for sure if my coach was getting bribed to do it and corralling us like these guys were, or if he was genuinely trying to steer us towards agents he thought were trustworthy and some of my teammates just sealed the deal a bit to soon and he was genuinely unaware of it. Because technically, you can meet with agents, you're just not supposed to accept or agree to anything until the season is over.

that's the whole point

If some booster at Utah State wants to pay some kid 5 mllion dollars to go there, who cares? Private money

Of course it will just end up with all the top kids at UNC, Duke, UCLA, ect but that already happens anyway and at least the kids would get a cut of the action

The idea doesn't worry me much for basketball. Might even increase parity for that sport. But I think it would make football recruiting an even bigger shitshow desu.

>You now realize that from local governments, to mega corporations, to health and food industries, and now amateur collegiate sports is filled with lobbyist and corruption in this country.
Welp.

at least people are waking up to the fact

It's the jews

>backdoor deals are used to decide the direction a company is headed well in advance
>companies secure their economic futures years in advance by claiming resources and blocking off competitors to their resource pools
More news at 11.

The problem is that those who realize all this are met by resistance from those who think that its impossible for there to be corruption in this country because this is America and my country wouldn't lie to me.

>Research Universities

>>literally the only sport Russians are good at
Fucking Sweden is better at hockey than Russia is.

This doesn't seem like the crime of the century. What's the big deal?

Isn't it sort of cool to be the bad boy school though? Having Petrino and Pitino is like a fuck you to ethics, thats badass

It's not the crime of the century, tho there are some federal crimes involving pell grants or some shit. But it's just against NCAA rules so it'll be bad for every school implicated.

it worked for the U for about 15 years

Word 'round the campfire is we've just heard about the tip of the iceberg. This is a 3 year undercover FBI investigations. There will be more indictments. There's indications it's much bigger than we know. This presser should be lit.

Petrino banging a hot intern was badass. Pitino banging a woman then having her sent to prison for extortion was badass.

Petrino not being able to recruit an offensive line is NOT badass.

Recruiting violations are NOT badass

if they didn't just do a targeted investigation then every top 50 program in the country should be indited

if you didn't think money was changing hands you were obviously naive

this FBI presser gonna be on TV or streamed anywhere?

That's it? Who fuckin cares?

HOLY SHIT ADIDAS SOLIDIFIED FUTURESS

Oy vey it's a federal crime to cheat our Marxist indoctrination camps

i heard adidas have money to paul manafort

tip top fucking lmao

just pay college athletes already

Are you 12? Of course it is. Has always been. Money talks boy.

In Auburn press conference regarding the situation, dubs say what i ask

fag

>spending an exorbitant amount of money for the same product as brand X but with three stripes on it
good goy

Ask em if an horse is a athlete

"Thoughts on Dotard Trump's Twitter rant on flag protests?"

how much money was allocated for the whores?

As a result of this scandal, is Auburn going to Au-BURN to the ground?

*Pause for laughter and give smug look towards camera*

If NCAA would allow these players to open a trust and do deals and endorsements where all money made in their name/with their face (think Anthony Davis unibrow on every UK shirt made that year) then shit like this wouldnt happen.
Most these kids are disadvantaged black freaks of nature that could use that money to help their family before Lottery Draft

Can we finally end the "student athlete" meme