Why do people always insist that Kanye West saved hip hop because of how he diverged from gangsta hip hop...

Why do people always insist that Kanye West saved hip hop because of how he diverged from gangsta hip hop? That fact is completely false for two reasons:
1: If Kanye ended gangsta hip hop, then why do rappers today still talk about drugs, money sex and violence in a gangsta-esque fashion? Why are artists like Desiigner, 21 Savage, Migos and Future, who typically divulge into gangster topics and utilize slang common in American ghettos still hugely popular (okay, Desiigner isn't exactly relevant right now, but Panda was a worldwide hit and it perfectly encapsulated drug, gangsta and rap culture)? Sure, Kendrick Lamar, Brockhampton and Tyler the Creator owe their careers to Kanye, but besides the former, neither of those artists had as much ubiquity as the aforementioned gangster rappers. It's still a mainstream form of Hip Hop, and Kanye didn't kill it nor innovate it. Yes, you greasy-fingered nerds begin to write an eloquent essay on why Kanye's MBDTF/808s/Yeezus trilogy transcended the entire genre, but before you do, here's a pre-emptive strike to end you.

(1/2)

Other urls found in this thread:

ew.com/article/2004/02/13/college-dropout/
books.google.com/books?id=J9kDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA93#v=onepage&q&f=false
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

2: If Kanye's albums helped shape modern hip hop... then what's OutKast? What was Aquemini, a laid back drip from the Experimental lean to the Rap parchment? What was Stankonia, heavily praised for its schizophrenic eclecticism, wide intelligence and its acceptance of rave/electronic culture in hip hop? What was Speakerboxx/The Love Below, a grandiose feat of hip hop, brimming with the contradictions of maximalism and minimalism? OutKast laid the foundation for creative, artistic hip hop to go mainstream long before Kanye even existed; 5 of their 6 albums were released before Kanye was a household name in 2004-2005. This claim would be more credible had it only been directed towards his later albums. But, no. Critics, unwarranted as can be, gave him the title as early as The College Dropout. Kanye only received fame because he made some catchy singles that sampled soul/funk/R&B from the 70s at a time when it wasn't cool anymore, along with generic pop culture pastiches interspersed in pseudo-introspection.

TLDR: Kanye innovated nothing.

Bump

Okay, another one.

i know this is bait, but you're literally giving the christian meme

"IF HUMANS EVOLVED FROM MONKEYS WHY ARE THERE STILL MONKEYS HAHA"

>Why do people always insist that Kanye West saved hip hop because of how he diverged from gangsta hip hop?

Who the fuck has actually said that. He excelled in his avenue and countless other rappers follow his path. This conversation has nothing to do with gangster rap.

Fuck off

The only difference was, Gangsta Hip Hop never decreased in popularity. And if any rap group was to be credited with declining gangsta hip hop, it would be OutKast.

>Who the fuck has actually said that.
"Diverging from the then-dominant gangster persona in hip hop, West's lyrics concern themes of family, self-consciousness, materialism, religion, racism, and higher education."
"The album saw West diverge from the then-dominant gangster persona in hip hop in favor of more diverse, topical lyrical subjects[37] including higher education, materialism, self-consciousness, minimum-wage labor, institutional prejudice, family, sexuality, and his personal struggles in the music industry.[156][157]"

Obviously he's not gangster rap. He's from an upperclass family.

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Kanye is based and you are a sad white cuck

You could have said right at the start "I believe stupid shit I read on wikipedia" and saved us a thread

1: I am black, you fucking idiot.
2: You're missing the point. Many critics have credited Kanye with "destroying" gangsta rap in the mainstream at a time when it was still successful, which couldn't be more wrong. Get out of this thread if you can't understand simple facts.

none of what you said matters because real niggas know all the good music was and still is made in memphis

>But West delivers the goods with a disarming mix of confessional honesty and sarcastic humor, earnest idealism and big-pimping materialism. In a scene still dominated by authenticity battles and gangsta posturing, he’s a middle-class, politically conscious, post-thug, bourgeois rapper — and that’s nothing to be ashamed of.
ew.com/article/2004/02/13/college-dropout/
>Pic related
books.google.com/books?id=J9kDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA93#v=onepage&q&f=false

t. Gaypissbag

Like famous rapper DJ Khaled once said, "Another one."

Really?

I know its bait but I just wanna say
You clearly don't know what gangster rap is if you consider sex, drugs, and violence the only things that make them up. Saying "I'm in a gang" isn't what makes it gangster rap. Literally listen to anything made by tommy wright III and if you aren't a huge pleb, you will notice lyrical and stylistic differences. I don't even care for Kanye but your utter lack of understanding of the genre pissed me off

So the people you're talking about that say this about Kanye are random bloggers? Nobody from
Sup Forums? Ok kys my nigga

Literally every single rapper I mentioned in my previous post follow that gangster ideology to a T. Typical violent personas they feign in order to make the listener scared and that they're menacing badasses you don't want to mess with, references to the ghettos both in Los Angeles (Compton/Inglewood) and Southern United States (Atlanta/Miami/Memphis), homages to the drug culture that exists within the Gangsta lifestyle (lean/coke/crack/weed), and the typical obnoxiousness. Don't try to tell me that that doesn't necessarily correlate to Gangsta Hip Hop, because literally every aspect I addressed in modern rap derived from the gangsta hip hop scenes/genre. Every rapper took hints, aspirations and ideas from Gangsta Hip Hop, you absolute buffoon. Leave my thread immediately, you retarded brainlet Pleb.

Drugs/Sex/Violence/Material Wealth DOES EQUAL GANGSTA HIP HOP, NIGGER.

>You are pic related

Yikes

Say a word to your mother.

Taking a shower and bumping to keep this thread warm and toasty.

Okay, wow, you guys suck.

Fuck it, I'm going to bed.