So today, my local theater is playing "Aliens." Never seen it, despite it being a much-praised classic...

So today, my local theater is playing "Aliens." Never seen it, despite it being a much-praised classic. Loved "Alien" but kind of hate exactly half of James Cameron's films. Love Titanic, hate Avatar. Love T2, hate The Abyss.

Is it worth $8 + snackies to see on the big screen?

Yes.

Oh yes, most certainly.

if you loved alien then you'll probably like this too. it's more like t2 than avatar anyway.

It's good in its own right, but at the same time it kinda ruins the franchise.

I hear Aliens is more Action Sci-fi than Sci-fi horror. True?

Nice trips. Why'd it ruin the franchise? Remember, I've only seen Alien..

Is any art worth money?

It better be the special edition, nigger.

Not that user, but while Alien is more horror movie (Jaws in Space), Aliens is more action-war movie. Ripley is 're-imagined' more as an action girl instead of survivor like in the first movie (hence the T2 comparison).

As for why it ruins the franchise, i am not so sure. This board just kind of hate/dislike Aliens.

It's a good film. Definitely not as good as the original or Alien 3.

yeah, I prefer Alien times a thousand but aliens if a fun movie

>Why'd it ruin the franchise?
Turns a horror movie with a unique atmosphere into generic action movie. A good generic action movie, but still, series lost its identity. Also invented the space marine trope.

>space marine trope
I still cringe when thinking about some of their dialogue/acting. Truly diabolical.

*Tips*

Look man, I can appreciate Alien 3, but its a fucking mess of a film no matter which version you watch.

Aliens is a really good movie, but its not the same kind of movie as Alien, so dont go in expecting the same thing.

Alien is space-horror
Aliens is like a Predator in space but without the camp factor.

They are both great movies in different genres.

Yes.
Well I wouldn't. It's shilled heavy around here as the quintessential sci-fi action film when in actuality it's James Cameron cashing in on the carefully crafted mystique of the original by turning it into a mindless run-and-gun story devoid of all of the horror from the original

Alien cashed in on the fear of rape and powerlessness at the hands of an organism that specializes in it; its capability at accomplishing this in fact is so impressive that it makes AI go rogue in attempting to preserve it. In Aliens though the xenomorphs are entirely interchangeable with anything else, fear of rape is 100% gone

Watch it to feel it out for yourself though. Felt like a badly made but better funded "The Thing" tbqhfam

>IT'S GAME OVER MAN, GAME OOOOOOVERRRRR

Fucking Aliens, man. Still 50/50 about it.

>Ripley is 're-imagined' more as an action girl
I had always thought of her as radicalized by her encounter with the xenomorph in the Alien. It also explains her hatred for robots in the 2nd film. It seemed like very believable character development, and Aliens is still on of my favorite sci fi films of all time.

Lel its funny how much of an over the top dudebro that one guy is.

I dont get the "it ruined the franchise criticism". We got a great horror movie and then a pretty good action sci-fi movie. Do you think Alien should have become an endless series of space horror with the same monster? That doesnt work, it would have become shit. Alien turned into a shitty action sci fi series from Alien 3, it would probably become a shitty horror franchise if they stuck to horror.

Name one "franchise" that doesnt turn to shit after film 2.
>protip: stop expecting movies from established franchises to be anything but shit.

>cringe when thinking about some of their dialogue/acting.
>sign of a true pussy who doesn't know war kino when it staring him in the face.

>50/50
I hope you mean 50% Best Bug Hunt, and 50% Best Final Showdown, because any other formula is incorrect science.

Fuck yeah it is.

I never saw it in theaters but I remember the first time I watched it. I remember seeing Alien not too long before that and thinking "Damn this is extremely well-crafted space horror" but not being particularly scared by it.

When the Alien Queen showed up in this, though...damn near shit myself. I'd known about Ripley's Power Loader but that was a hell of a lot more powerful than I expected.

The jackasses calling it shit are the same ones who drooled over the prospect of Aliens vs. Predator.

But 3 is a great film. At least the Assembly Cut is.

Why do you hate The Abyss as opposed to simply not liking it?

How have you never seen Aliens?
Its a really good sci fi adventure movie with some minor horror elements. It's fun as fuck.
The original is objectively a better film, but that doesn't really detract from how good aliens is.

I would gladly pay $100 to see Aliens on a big screen. You are lucky.

OP if you ain't memeing about neither having seen this or your stance on Cameron films, you should come back later today and let us know what you thought. I at least would like to know.

This is one of the sequels on the very short list titled "Movies that Blow the First One Out of the Water"

>This board just kind of hate/dislike Aliens.
Its complicated because on one side Sup Forums loves cameron, but they're also contrarians. Add into that the fact that theres only a good/bad duality means something is either GOAT or the blunders of the century.
Also the alien franchise is a poster child for the kino/film/movie/flick meme.

>This is one of the sequels on the very short list titled "Movies that Blow the First One Out of the Water"
No. Not even close. And this is coming from someone who likes cameron and is lukewarm on scott as a whole.

>ruins the franchise
This is horseshit. This movie elevates it to the only logical follow up to Alien. What ruins the franchise is that every single subsequent movie fails to build on the potential this movie creates. Its actually rather astonishing that there are not more space Vietnam movies like this.

It's overrated but still a hundred times better than the new releases we see nowadays. Better to go see Aliens than garbage like Arrival

I think of the franchise as an anthology more than a series of direct sequels since most of them tell pretty much the same story framed by very distinct directorial eyes. I genuinely enjoy all 4 alien movies.

>Felt like a badly made but better funded "The Thing"
never thought of it that way, but it' pretty accurate

Cameron's film intrinsically diminishes the monster. He casually throws aside the fear of it's endless adaptive capabilities in exchange for a fear of numbers.

Now, the monster that took an entire film to get rid of (mind you the same one that was still trying to get ridley even from the vacuum of space) is here gunned down en masse. It busted it's nut far too early, completely ruining the contagion/body horror genre aspects that allowed for its creation in the first place.

>stop expecting movies from franchises to be anything but shit
No, fuck you, the only reason why we're stuck with an endless onslaught of franchise films is because people like you lower your fucking standards