Is "High Art" in music necessary, or is it just pretentious/elitist?

Is "High Art" in music necessary, or is it just pretentious/elitist?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Psx24n3rM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Being high in music is necessary.

Its necessary. what's the point of music if its just pop shit to please the masses. Then we'd just have memerap for all eternity and no one wants that.

t. soyboy

It's necessary, but in order to occur, it must arise organically/spontaneously. You don't sit down and thing "ok what can I do that'll be high art". That's hwat leads to pretentiousness/elitism.

Can pop music not be "high art"? Do you only listen to classical music and jazz?

He never said or implied that

Musically it's-
ok first of all its called "popular music", it's made to appeal to the masses.

Not all pop is popular musi-

ah fuck it I’ve been here too long and have had this argument too many times it’s like deja vu

Yes it's called pop music short for pop culture

but not all pop is music for popular culture

Give one example of pop artist with a progressive and influential ideal in it?
And musically it is not doing anything innovative regardless of its underground, from what I've heard

>from what I’ve heard

Yeah that’s the point

ok post it lad.

David Bowie
St Vincent
Bjork

OK what was the innovation and ideas here?

itt: people don't know what the words "pretentious" and "elitism" mean outside of "they make me feel bad because I'm not included / don't get something"

mother of cringe

shut up lol

Have you like, even heard Bjork's music?

these

Friendo is always right and you will lose this argument. Give up

el dios encogido...

little fags lol

dios mio...

haha you lost

look at this loser

el plebeyo multiplicado...

That's what I want to get at. The High Art label lends itself to this "elitist" label, as (*I'm pretty sure*) the most rich and highly educated and privileged people often make these artworks. So the rest of the public would look at these works as out of touch, somewhat incompatible, or even close minded towards the middle class and lower.

lol so done kid

it's easy to call something out of touch when you've* never made an honest attempt to understand it

*figuratively, not you specifically

shut the fuck up lil bitch

Right, well how far can these metaphors go, when working class actually lived it firshand?

as far as your dick which isn’t far at all lol

im not catching your meaning

It's getting late bruh

is this high art
youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Psx24n3rM