NICHOLAS JAAR BTFO

residentadvisor.net/reviews/22216

>2.8/5

>2012-2017 is a grab bag of dead-simple bangers mixed in with typical Jaar weirdness.

>Jaar's samples might not seem obvious, but 2012-2017 can feel generic. Most tracks are just looped soul samples fastened to heavy kicks. They might be uplifting if they didn't feel so utilitarian. Take "Some Kind Of Game." It sounds like something that might've been released for free on Bandcamp at the height of the vaporwave craze. "Know You" has a commanding beat, but not much else going for it. From a promising start, "City Fade" repeats itself into a rut. The ingredients are soulful and rapturous, but the songs are rarely transcendent.

>There's little that you wouldn't hear done better on a record by Tiger & Woods or Soundstream

based
they did the same thing to Jamie xx

Now they also need to pan the upcoming Jon Hopkins for RA to finally redeem itself in my eyes.

If this wasn't made by Nicolas Jaar P4K/Fantano readers wouldn't give a flying fuck about it

based

>if they didn't feel so utilitarian

This is possibly the dumbest use of the word "utilitarian" I've ever seen.

I agree

>Sup Forums: "friendship ended with pitchfork, now andrew ryce is my best friend"

They’re right though

>bangers
stopped reading there

when brainlets try to review house records oof

jaar to house is what pale waves is to goth rock

in colour was really quite awful
1.5/5 at best

2012-2017 is ok - not great.
2.8 is still a good score - i'd have given it at least a 3 though - not much more.

I found the record fun to listen to but if you seriously believe it's anything but some simple quirky sample-based tunes then you are kidding yourself

Fucking based

>3.89 score
RYM is such a fucking joke

not even Discogs rates it above 4.30 and Discogs is prone to overrating new memehouse releases

>ITT: "I worship contrarian critics who validate my contrarian opinions"

simplicity =/= bad

>some random blog shits on The Jarr
WOW ITS FUCKING NOTHING

>some random blog

That was my first impression of it, maybe not as critical but I skipped a few tracks just because they got stale quickly. It's not a terrible album, it's just very straightforward. This would be fine if no one knew Jaar had made it. I seriously don't get the Pitchfork score, it's not THAT good, Sirens is waaaaay better

>the link to the review on their official twitter has two comments and less than five likes/shares

this "resident advisor" guy is a literal nobody

I'd trust Fantano over him any day

using that logic. your trust in fantano doesn't say much considering you're nobody also :)

Jesus fuck how bad of taste do you have to have to not enjoy 2012-2017 and realize that Cityscape is the electronic track of the decade?

This album is just as good as any Tim Hecker material from this decade

>This album is just as good as any Tim Hecker material from this decade

>Soundstream

opinion discarded, Soundstream is boring as shit and they don't even have any full albums so they're not comparable to Jaar.

>inb4 le house is an EP genre meme

if you can't make a good full-length LP, you are not a worthwhile artist, no matter what genre you are working in

>if you can't make a good full-length LP, you are not a worthwhile artist, no matter what genre you are working in
you poor, sad little being.

all right time 2 stop posting rockists

lmao

waht the f*ck is a banger tho

>banger
club/party music

is it bad that i fucking love that Darkside album