/prod/ - Music Production General

Garbage Thru Edition

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback. Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

Previous thread: → →
>ATTENTION!
DON'T post Soundcloud, YouTube, or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That's considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

>RESOURCES:

Sound Design:
>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>Rocket Powered Sound (Constant quality uploads of various EDM sounds in Serum with explanations that help make something unique)
youtube.com/channel/UCFReVt5TAC1zGnuNkgHw-fg

>Syntorial (widely considered the best place to go to learn synthesis)
syntorial.com/

>Mr. Bill (Ableton based, some of the best sound design tutorials on the planet. Aimed more towards IDM-type stuff. He also posts his music here)
youtube.com/user/MrBillsTunes

>BusyWorksBeats (explains hip hop in very elaborate ways in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>Sadowick (explains old school electronic music in very elaborate ways in Ableton)
youtube.com/user/SadowickProduction

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

MIXING:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>Samori Coles (Compression, EQ, etc)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

FL STUDIO:

>WarBeats (Getting comfortable in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Image Line Tutorials
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

WRITING:

>12tone
youtube.com/channel/UCTUtqcDkzw7bisadh6AOx5w/playlists

>Micheal New
youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody/playlists

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/eojp4k0n
youtu.be/2V2abwkiRvk
clyp.it/c04rc2rz
clyp.it/kqffckes?token=28be13f15c626354f3479b67ca472c13
clyp.it/maijceup
clyp.it/wsiqlpjy
clyp.it/blhgnaua
youtube.com/watch?v=W2A5xNzw7F0
clyp.it/tqa5lrmy
clyp.it/rzo0sssf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

post your clyps. i won't hear them but i will give you feedback just by looking at the waveforms.

how do I set up stereo midi

Who else here has G.A.S. for aging hardware? Just picked up a Kawai K1r for cheap to add to the pile.

Nice, I thought I was the only one that did that.

you what m8

Are you the guy with all the shit up no music?
Or have you made anything yet

midi in stereo

very nice studio
is that waldorf blofeld, why is it black
what software do you use, by the way?

i...uh... you do know midi is just command messages and isn't sound, rite?

yeah, I need stereo command messages

I make things pretty often, I just havent finished up any songs lately. Been focusing on the other band and getting ready to record gits, drums and vocals.

You need a dedicated midi restereolizer comm box

Thanks. Yeah it's a blofeld, it's black because it's a "limited" edition. Limited to how many they can sell, I suppose.

I use ableton and windows but idk if I want to stick with it permanently.

who itt still uses time signatures even though they are outdated?

How can they be outdated if we can still count?

clyp.it/eojp4k0n

id appreciate feedback. i know most of you sperg on and on about the mix and i dont really focus on the mix all too much

how can you count if numbers aren't real

baite

turn your kick down.

How can music be real if it's a social construct?

anything else? besides the mix?

i have a strict policy of not commenting on musical content.

how can society be real if it's a human construct?

>um misses teacher uhhm how come i have to uses decimal numbers even though i can still count to the answer on my fingers?

music isnt a social construct, it still works the same if you listen to it alone or on the bus surrounde by people

>um misses teacher uhhm how come i have to uses decimal numbers even though i can still count to the answer on my fingers?
What does that have to do with thyme autographs?

>music isnt a social construct
Sure it is. One man's music is another man's hip-hop or rap and therefor not music.

what does being able to count have to do with why we still use time signatures?

its like saying international freight is unnecessary because we still have access to wheelbarrows

>what does being able to count have to do with why we still use time signatures?
Why would you not use a time signature if you can count?

maybe the same reason as to why you would not use c major in all your tunes even though you can count

for variety?

Would you recommend the Blodfeld as a primary polysynth?

>for variety?
There's a lot of numbers out there, fella. I dare say there are more numbers than scales. There may event be an infinite amount but idk I ran out of room for tally marks.

I certainly enjoy it. The only drawbacks are a debatably low output level and the sample abilities being locked behind a paywall. The interface is pretty intuitive for how limited the physical controls are, and there are software options for editing if that's your thing.

are you insinuating that there is an infinite amount of time signatures?

if so you should briefly consider what the difference is between 4:4 and 2:2 and 8:8

>are you insinuating that there is an infinite amount of time signatures?
No. Are you insinuating that using a varied amount of time signatures is like using the same scale over and over? Because that's what you literally said.

youtu.be/2V2abwkiRvk

then go ahead and literally quote me saying that

>Why would you not use a time signature if you can count?
>maybe the same reason as to why you would not use c major in all your tunes even though you can count

>why not use (any time signature ever) if you can count
>hurr the same reason every song isnt in C

the incredibly clear point was that using time signatures in everything is the same as using the same scale in everything.. im not sure how you got that so backwards.

in either event, being able to count doesn't explain continuing to use time signatures as youre not required to play any instruments in real time while producing electronic music anyways

>the incredibly clear point was that using time signatures in everything is the same as using the same scale in everything
Incredibly stupid point, you mean.

>being able to count doesn't explain continuing to use time signatures as youre not required to play any instruments in real time while producing electronic music anyways
Yes, computers make how many beats are in a measure irrelevant.

stupid people usually write off ideas they cannot comprehend as stupid

yes we're in agreement that computers have made them irrelevant, yet your sustained activism suggests you still use them- why then?

>stupid people usually write off ideas they cannot comprehend as stupid
not him, no you're objectively really fucking retarded

>yes we're in agreement that computers have made them irrelevant
I see your sarcasm detector is broken, you might need a reboot

i'm unconvinced. please provide a deductively logical argument to suppose your asinine assertion

lmao wow ive never seen anyone so willingly admit that their only intelligent post in the thread was sarcasm

Are there free/DAW default instruments that sound realistic or is nothing compared to the real thing/premium vsts?

Mainly wanting some air instruments and grand piano

damn.

Why dont you lay it out for us why time signature are irrelevant, then after we laugh at you for a while we can get back to ignoring you.

your point "using time signatures in everything is the same as using the same scale in everything" is meaningless gibberish and you're either baiting or don't know what a time signature is to begin with

I'm not responsible for you understanding basic shit, so this is your problem, not mine.

You pretty much get what you pay for.

just pirate NI

To all the producers here: You can't do shit. I am an actual artist and going to change and mix shit with different samples etc to make not full songs, but whole albums that include bridges, intros, outros and many different technique's to approach the samples I find. To me it's disgusting how you wannabe artists come here, take three seconds from Rubycon for a loop and think you're the shit. You are nothing.

Awesome bro, post your soundcloud.

im not baiting but im not surprised at your reaction: i guess you probably don't realize that time signatures aren't as fundamental to music as you think. even ambient music ought to provide an off-the-shelf counterexample to your shallow belief.

still confounds me how you fail to process "'always using feature A in your music' is similar to 'always using feature B in your music' because both paths lead to the same condition, namely a lack of variety to your overall ouevre"

i guess you could stick to writing only one piece of music ever and the above argument wouldnt apply to you though i might still wonder why you came to choose to use time signatures at all when presented the choice of whether or not to use them at all.

time signatures help keep multiple players in time because it used to be that having multiple synchronized musicians was the only way to generate audible music. since notation is no longer necessary after the advent of cv and midi control, this approach to music is no longer fundamental. the rest is simple to intuit on your own.

would you please stop responding to the same bait post every single thread

retarded as fuck once again

>since notation is no longer necessary after the advent of cv and midi control
hahaha

for clarification, where
feature A is 'being in key of C major', and
feature B is 'following time signatures'

fuck off jack ass. You don't even know what we make, and who says we post our most experimental prices anyhow?

>you need to write traditional staff notation to use a midi controller
ha

>fuck off jack ass
Is that like jack frost, but as an insufferable prig instead of a snowmang?

(u)

didnt say that, did I?

how make industrial

pirate analog lab 3

congrats you took bait as old as /prod/ itself

well your other post said hardly anything at all so i had to give benefit of the doubt to what appeared to be plain ignorance

are you talking about time signatures as in the actual marking of metre, or metre in and of itself? i'd agree with you on the point about not needing time signatures for beatless ambient and drone music, but the idea that using time signatures is the same as using a single scale is so dumb i don't even know how to begin unravelling it. it would make more sense to say that using a single time signature and a single scale in everything are similar. but you didn't say that and several people pointed out the stupidity of your statement but you're such a fucking pseud you refuse to even acknowledge it.

firstly, yes i am talking at least about time signatures (4:4, 1:1, 3:4, 6:8, etc) as they are vestigial things, like the tiny legs that whales still have but no longer serve to satisfy any requirement. the rest of the question depends on how exactly you would define meter.

secondly, while i understand that that may have been a more immediate analogy, i'm unconvinced that it is using a particular time signature that is equivalent to using a particular key. i suppose you could equally have suggested that a similarly fitting comparison can be drawn between 'atonal music' and 'music without time signatures' but i wouldnt agree with you there either.

just realize that music that is made with using time signatures ascribes to a particular structure but not all music automatically has to have time signatures the same way music doesnt automatically have to be in the key of c major. that's what you and everyone itt must be having difficulty in understanding in the prior post.

dat pasta

learn Massive

I'm neo-psych user from the last thread. I dialed down the reverb and put a high pass eq on each vocal track. what else is missing? also accepting general feedback
clyp.it/c04rc2rz

The autism is ripe in this thread.

Also the Kawai K1 is one of my favourite cheapo-synths, I got the keyboard version for like $40 at a yard sale. The choir patches are so weird

um, is discussing actual instruments not welcomed here? I rarely see any musicians in a traditional sense

Should I continue working on this?
clyp.it/kqffckes?token=28be13f15c626354f3479b67ca472c13

ignore that random noise after the song

>battle-caw of the virgin producer on encounter with the chad theorist

do you mind posting a screenshot of your project? with the waveforms visible.

odd request i know, but please indulge me.

feel free to talk about them, but if the guitar generals are a thing, most of them hang out there.

clyp.it/maijceup

Please critique /prod/ bros.

getting into wavetables. shit's hard

I'm assuming this is what you meant. I'm a newbie so feel free to be as blunt as possible about what I'm doing wrong

so the mix is a little hard to provide feedback on because it's a bit weird. i've got a few questions:

- is there any panning going on via plugins that's not visible in that screenshot?
- are the vocals being bussed and compressed?
- what's the effects chain on the drums - they're probably the strangest thing here. is it just a reverb insert with a relatively high wet mix? also, is that a stylistic choice?
- are those two guitar tracks doing different things or are you double tracking?

This is great user. Love hearing some actual decent vocal tracks.
How did you go about programming the drums? Just draw the MIDI notes in? Or did you have some kind of pad to input velocity?
Also is your guitar DI'd into Logic?

its not really

Cool. Way better than the last version. The drums are still muddy and farty as hell. What is the fax chain there?

What do I do with the bass?
clyp.it/wsiqlpjy

i've gotta run but here's a test mix with some widening applied (and narrowing

>the virgin steinberg

whoops here's the clyp that goes with that picture:
clyp.it/blhgnaua

>the chad steinberger
youtube.com/watch?v=W2A5xNzw7F0

1. Yes. I should've included a bigger pic, sorry I'm distracted.

I wanted to emulate the sound of two drummers, so I have another drum track stack (same set up as Drums 1). They're bussed and panned fully left and right respectively, and the timing is slightly off btw them so it has a kinda flam effect
2. Nope
3. See 1 I guess? I have a very slight fuzz effect on them, but there's no reverb. It's a stylistic choice in the way that I'm definitely going for a 2 drummer sound, but I'm not satisfied with the way it sounds atm if that's what you mean. It does sound really strange. The drums are supposed to be kind of a big feature too
4. The guitars are doing different interlocking things, kind of a melody / harmony type thing

Thanks man. I drew the midi notes in and manually changed the velocity / timing to make it sound a little more human. Not sure if I did a good job lol

Yeah it's direct. for the final product I'll probably mic my amp though

See my response to

thanks dude, appreciate it. i'll probably still be here occasionally throughout today in case you come back

what do you mean

Can you clyp prefx drum track?

I mean. It doesn't sound good enough for me. It doesn't make want to start dancing.

clyp.it/tqa5lrmy

u enter the underfamous music location
hear this pushing beat movement
what do?

clyp.it/rzo0sssf

Do you like that bass drum and toms? I think they lack envelopes.

Hello, my Russian friend. Pretty good track.

it's literally just changing the wave over time, pretty simple

/gg/ is what you want

these are mostly electronic musicians with like one guy who post classic rock over and over who can't into engineering and picks this thread for some reason

i don't understand it but for some reason everybody who post anything guitar focused here sucks ass at it/makes shit extremely derivative (not even just covers)

maybe that speaks more to *who* is making rock in the first place right now and why nobody likes it.... idk.

somebody feel free to prove me wrong there. i know you didn't specify rock but that's what disappoints me the most lol

literally just experiment

don't be one of those faggots who just goes overboard with distortion or makes aggro tech by default tho

PASTA BOI IS BACK AT IT

>air instruments
it's wind.

you gotta buy some shit buddy. free sample based instruments all suck.

>i have a strict policy of not commenting on musical content.

v good policy desu. nobody cares if it's not to your taste, just be objective

gear fetishizing faggits that's who

>put a high pass eq on each vocal track.
don't do that. only noobs do that

why did you make the drums sound like a lone room mic with too much crash..?

i think i get what you're going for.... like airy in general

the track just sounds wimpy honestly. i'd start at bringing some meat back with the drums, and then vocals. that's standard procedure of course though

also stop spamming your shit tho

eh keep at it. there's really not enough going on to critique, i think you know how bad this is.

try finding some less shit drum samples and keep practicing with the sound design

too fast for an ambient track if that's what you're going for. i'd say either slow it down a lot and redo that pad entirely or scrap it

jfc kys and stop posting in these threads faggot

sure, I didn't specify rock, I care about classical instruments

just because most people here are shitters doesn't mean its not welcome to post about real instruments

well i make ambient guitar/piano stuff that i suppose technically fits under the classical umbrella.

mmmmmm i think there's a group of people who are hostile toward it

the helpful feedback i see in response to that music is typically coming from people who clearly also play instruments

what do you mean?

not tryna spam or step on anybodys toes, most of my posts are responses to other people. I can wait a few days inbtw posting new WIPs tho

user in last thread told me to do the hi pass. I can't into eq yet so I rolled with it

I'm with you on the wimpy part. a lot is missing, bass for example. idk how to make the drums meatier though

your drum levels are far enough off on your original track that you can add this in with a -1db reduction.

I meant it sounds muddy even in the original. I am not quite sure how you do it in logic, but I can make it sound more snappy and crisp in Ableton.

also, turn that crash down. and pick a different sample