What is up with americans and barre chords? They seem to avoid them like the devil...

What is up with americans and barre chords? They seem to avoid them like the devil. They are one of the first things we get taught when picking up a guitar here in my country.

For example, I'll be reading a tab and it'll say "play the F barre" as if that's a change, but the F is barre by nature here. And I've even seen a post by an american guy saying he played guitar for 15 years and had never done a barre chord before, and how it was hurting his hand.

What is this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2V2abwkiRvk
youtube.com/watch?v=gcE1avXFJb4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I play with my soul. Not my hands.

I fucking HATE Europeans sometimes
We fucking get it dude you don't like Americans and think we're dumb. Okay fine whatever, a lot of us think you guys are pretty cool can you just give us a fucking break for once in our goddamned lives?

>Americans don’t use barre chords
This might be the stupidest thing I’ve read on Sup Forums in years

how would you go 15 years without learning barre chords? ive been playing for less than a year and use mostly barre chords now.

>quoting something that literally wasn't written

Read your own post and that might change.

barre chords hurt my thumb :(

The people who avoid barre chords just picked up a guitar and are self taught. It's very common here to try and teach yourself guitar. Public school's don't offer guitar and lessons can be expensive.

wtf is a bare chord lmao

dunno but

youtu.be/2V2abwkiRvk

>"one day I saw this guy who doesn't like to play barre chords"
>"I must assume that nobody from his country likes to play barre chords"

>quoting

A lot of people in America are self taught musicians. Music classes are expensive and honestly not needed if you have the dedication and passion to learn your instrument on your own.

who are you quoting friends????

Creativity.
People that use barres tend to overuse them and their songs all sound the same. If I hear more than one bar in a progression, I typically delete the artist's catalogue from my HD.

this in a nutshell.
everytim I see people using bar chords, it's always some strummy faggot.

This, in Germany every student in Grundschule and Gymnasium has to take music classes until the 10th grade, and they actually learn music. In the US, I only had to take music in elementary and middle school, and it was barely any actual music, and definitely no choral practice. I learned guitar basically by myself, with some help from my dad. I think that's pretty typical here.

I don't think this is a real stereotype but personally I don't like playing bar chords much since they always sound so muddy and samey. Depending on your strumming it's really easy to have them sounding like boring power chords, I'd much rather just play them open or find some other inversion that works.

Also they just use too many fingers. If I'm doing folky finger style stuff I'll just use that F shape but have my thumb wrapped around hitting the root note on the E string. It leaves my pinky available to be used for whatever. So yeah, your Euro posturing is especially dumb here.

You obviously don’t like Bob Dylan much. That motherfucker has a fetish for B chords in particular.

Guitar education in america is in a pretty poor state with barely any thorough pedagogy books or standards in teaching. Thus gaps exists and self-taught musicians are the majority with this particular instrument.

Also take note of all this stupidity:
buttblasted 56%er

idiotic - self taught vs learning from others will forever be inferior, absolutely no exceptions

just plain retarded

>can't play correctly
>inferres the articulation and technique is the problem
stupid

now granted OP you're also a huge fag and are clearly ignorant so don't make dumbshit threads like these again

who are you quoting fren?

aorry man. Barres suck nuts and everyone that uses them excessively is a fag, lol

I learned barre chords about 3 months into playing, after the main chords like G/F/C/D/E Major. I'm self taught though save two friends that give me tips every once in a while.

nice trips pretentious fag

Its because barre chords are built of the low E and A string and Americans are team players and understand the Bass guitar occupies this range so Guitarists stick to voicing using the top 4 strings and it sounds GREAT. We use the low strings for effect in Heavy music. Euro strum fags are used to playing alone and sleeping in hostels begging for food and what not. Americans are just more sophisticated individuals.

>self taught vs learning from others will forever be inferior, absolutely no exceptions
Jimi Hendrix
dumb post

I can play my barre chords and cowboy chords, starting to get my C/G/D barre shapes down but I still don't consider myself good at guitar. I think being able to switch from rhythm and leads smoothly, being able to write interesting music and improvise effortlessly is what makes a good guitarist. All I can do is strum along.

I would recommend learning them to everybody as soon as possible. Its a lot easier and more fun to play some songs with barre chords

I learned barre chords two weeks into playing, as well as every other major, 7th and minor. But I'm in Canada so that could be why

I can't imagine it being an "american" thing to avoid barre chords. What led you to this conclusion? That being said I have always found that playing F as a barre chord is more convenient and honestly easier than not barring it. But I've never found it to be an american/non-american thing.

Based

Yeah because you can totally compare the career of a self-taught Hendrix against a Hendrix with traditional learning.
Fucking retard.

>be a lanklet with enormous hands
>can barre with my index finger fine
>physically can't barre A position major chords/E position sus4 chords with my index finger without it touching the high E and B strings respectively
>squishing three fingers together to do it that way feels awkward as fuck

barre chord? what kind of food is that? sounds foreign

>yurocucks

sorry i meant with my ring finger. pic related, if it was in this position i can't avoid my ring finger at least slightly muting the high E string.

>quoting something that literally wasn't written
why did you quote that when that literally wasn't written?

I just tune my strings in an open tuning faggot. Barres are easy now loser.

Nah. You're wrong. Lmao. I bet you play at bars.

Yeah, I hate the B major with the A position especially cause it hurts my fucking hand. Are you supposed to be able to bar the DGB strings with one finger AND leave the top E open?? That shit seems superhuman...

Open chords last longer adn are technically less tiring, also with some effort you get to find some nice voicings. I say this as someone who really doesn't give a shit one way or the other.

git gud kid.
You can do it that way or put a finger on each string and barre the second fret
Try some Gypsy jazz chords then you will know real pain Gm6add9 is elite level

It's literally just a matter of building muscle memory, if it seems impossible you haven't tried enough.

The way I like to practice a new chord is to just put my headphones on, put a video on the computer, and then keep playing, for example, C into B until my hand never misses the B anymore, for half an hour, sometimes an entire hour, it's very easy to practice for extremely long periods of time when distracted. That's the fastest way to build muscle/finger memory I've found.

to clarify this fingering.
Sounds great if you can get it down

honestly for a long time I would just do the B7 when I was first learning so I could at least play some blues..
When I got good at the F shape the B shape came next.

is P "pulgar" as in thumb? that looks fucked up

holy trips

my ring finger mutes the fucking g string >:( AAARGH

Handlets have to use their back finger for the sixth string in a ton of chords.

Yeah you have to wrap your thumb over the neck and get the 6 string that way You can sort of cheat as long as you got that note muted

On the topic of Gypsy Jazz Django Reinhardt is mandatory listening.

youtube.com/watch?v=gcE1avXFJb4

God tier post

I can't do an F chord, if I try it hurts my hand, and somehow never manages to be correct, one of the strings is always compressed either too much or too little and it never has a smooth tone.

>And I've even seen a post by an american guy saying he played guitar for 15 years and had never done a barre chord before,

Yeah but I bet he played a mean smoke on the water though

OP is bait, but I guess there is a reason why we call the open shapes "cowboy chords"...

Modern Euros can't into Jangle though. Resonant open strings are the GOAT sound on a guitar, bell-tones, y'know?

Barre chords are a little more difficult to accomplish physically, maybe. Most Americans are indeed lazy af.

A lot of inversions are still barre chords... dafuq

>>>/reddit/