twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is this just one insecure faggot making these threads or what

it can be good
that album isn't good though
pic related is an example of excellent prog

Yes

King Crimson, Yes, and Genesis are the only good prog bands

Everything else is cringe

No, but 21st Century Schidzoid Man is good song.

Occasionally

holy shit what.
First off, yes is cheesy af symphonic prog wank
other two have good instrumental arrangements in most of their albums and a good variety

secondly, have you even heard of: Aphrodites Child, Krautrock bands, The whole canterbury scene, mike oldfield, henry cow, even frank zappa ffs. lurk more

>Aphrodites Child, Krautrock bands, The whole canterbury scene, mike oldfield, henry cow, even frank zappa ffs.
*yawns*

This guy has been keeping prog relevant for 30 years

Yes, prog is good, why dont you try to listen to it rather than ask a bunch of shitposters on a mongolian basket weaving board

Of course not. Punk and New Wave killed it off for a reason

Fragile was a god damn masterpiece but I can't stand anything else Yes made because of the reason you listed

dull musician, incredible sound engineer

Punk was pushed by labels because it was easier to get some loser trashed on smack on some street corner, who would make quick bucks for the label and promptly be kicked out as soon as their usefulness ended.
Listen to Tinsel Town Rebellion boy, you might just learn a thing or two.

Lamb is beyond your comprehension, pleb.

lmao
yeah right
it just has 70% filler is all

It's amazing what he did to aqualung. I like his music tho.

>he thinks Lamb has filler.
If anything, it's too short for the ambitious concept it narrates.

Yes. If you like complex arrangements with excellent musicianship, you'll love prog to death. If you're into more conventional music (pop, disco etc.), you'll probably just see it as excessive musical wanking.
>if you want to just try it and see, try Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, Porcupine Tree, or Jethro Tull

lamb would be 100-times better as a musical

its live performances were basically that.

Just listened to Meddle and I can confirm prog is good.

>yfw the entirety of echoes

This. Also why (((rap))) is so common today

what a pleb, that is the best of prog rock, if you dont like it, you dont like prog rock. simple (like you)

Anyone who doesn't like prog rock is a brainlet. Simple as that.

>good prog
>posts Mike Oldfield

what the FUCK do you have against Mike Oldfield? His structured, emergent songwriting and arranging is like the opposite of typical prog wankery.

Prog can be the pinnacle of modern music but has a lot of inherent problems that make it almost impossible to make consistent with 10/10 songs, let alone albums.

The Atom Heart Mother suite is cool too, obviously doesn't hit the highs Echoes does, but still good

Pink Floyd? Rush? The Mars Volta? Tool? Can?

Don't take the bait m8. He's 18 years old and thinks lil peep is a godsend

Lil peep was so good that god wanted him back

I'm interested in discussing those problems

If classically trained musicians attracted to popular music kept forming prog bands I think we'd still have 70s quality bands, if not better. Most prog acts seem like kids who have memorized licks they found online, or do a song in 12/8 for the heck of it, regardless of the song making musical sense. Prog can be the popular classical, it makes me sad when people dismiss that potential. You can fit anything into it, all it needs to be done is filtering out the bands which fit bullshit into it

Both the classical and popular worlds seem to have been under a certain malaise for a while, I guess at some point that might happen again(classical musicians doing prog). Or classical goes through a ressurgence. If neither of the two happens then I guess we'll just swiftly walk towards the abyss.

>classically blocks your path
There's still a huge amount of school trained musicians forming prog bands but they're not rock (native construct et al)

LTE is wankery though. Granted, there is worse wankery, they're simply highly trained musicians wanking. It's possible for prog, just as it is possible for classical, to focus on melody, thus making it both accessible and intriguing. I wouldn't say LTE fits into that. If it weren't for their members other bands they might drift into obscurity.

I enjoy lte way more than dream theater. Have you listened to a lot of them? I guess you have to enjoy "virtuosos" aka wankery to really dig it

Gave them a try a while back and didn't really feel like going back to it. Might have to do with the fact that at the time I was searching for different stuff after years of listening almost exclusively to rock. These days I'm more attracted to great songs(in the songwriting sense). Images and Words has great songs, but other DT albums don't do much for me.

Give the second disc a try, it's their best imo

If you're looking for songwriting, perhaps instrumentals aren't for you

Wrong. I get what comes to mind when I say songwriting, but I had to make it clear what I meant with great songs, that I meant a composition which stands on its own, it communicates its idea regardless of arrangement. I listen much more to classical than popular music, so yeah I have no problem with instrumentals. It's just that certain things are not my cup of tea

Atom Heart Mother was almost an instant favorite. Cool fact: they recorded the drums and the bass in one take (the whole 23min, that must've been a pain)

youtube.com/watch?v=ndu96lClBIA GIVE ME LIIIIFEEEEE

>thinks that 12/8 is an odd time signature
Why the fuck do you pretend to know things about music?

Is it technically not prog if it tricks you into thinking its not 4/4 but it actually is? Like playing one measure that's 15/16 and then another measure that's 1/16, and going back in forth until the rhythm fades into standard 4/4