What can Sup Forums tell me about Turkmenistan...

What can Sup Forums tell me about Turkmenistan? I know its been compared to North Korea and it had a personality cult under the first president but other that, what can you tell me about this Central Asian republic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5tHr0VqSukg
varlamov.ru/tag/turkmenistan
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

natural gas, oil and electricity are free over there. it's basically like North Korea but richer and does not starve to death. It's also a huge desert with practically no arable land. tho there's enough land to feed 5 million Turkmens in Turkmenistan
Other than that, historically speaking, most of them migrated to here and after that they've been pretty much irrelevant. They were desert/steppe nomads that kidnapped Persian and Kazakh women.
Oh and their first president tried to adopt the surname "Ataturk". Turkey got butthurt and advised to not do that otherwise there'd be bad things. So the guy just adopted the surname Turkmenbashy which means Head of Turkmens

What does ataturk stand for?

are almost free*

Is that guy a Turkmen?

"Father of Turks"
Ata=Father
Türk=Turk
yes he is.

Why are kemalists so butthurt ?

Ataturk is on the same level as Allah here
youtube.com/watch?v=5tHr0VqSukg
Video related, in a conservative anatolian city a schizoid guy attacks Ataturk statue with an axe and mob lynches him.

wtf. he doesn't look asian at all. he just looks like a fucking arab.

Hmm

hot girls

well, there are asian turkmens too brown and asian turkmens live together and don't care about what they look like.

Uh I think you are getting the first president confused with the first president of Turkey. I believe you are referring to Saparmurat Niyazov or "Türkmenbaşy", meaning Head of the Turkmen.

read what i wrote again.

I don't understand why conservative Turks like him so much. He was a secularist who wanted to westernize the country. He even wanted the county's name to be Anatolia and not turkey. It seems so antithetical to their views.

>He even wanted the county's name to be Anatolia and not turkey
source: my ass

He literally did, you can look up it up.

ok kid

Oh shit. I forgot to read the bottom part. But huh, I didn't know that Türkmenbaşy, tried to adopt the name of Ataturk. I know he had a personality cult and the current President which I am not even going to try to pronounce or spell it, is also developing a more subtle personality cult. He has portraits of him everywhere, its even on Turkmenistan Airlines.

They're mixed, some look Asian, some look Arab.
You'll find both looks in the same families.

They have persian influence, just like azeris, turks and uzbeks (to some extent. how else would you describe uzbeks looking like azeris and tajiks and times, while uyghurs look like karluk gods)

>and times
*At times

At least the portrait looks nice of the current president.

How is Turkmenistan similar to North Korea? I had never heard this but then I've never really heard anything about Turkmenistan with my >American education so I'll have to do a little reading I guess.

both are very authoritative countries

Also those Iranian subhumans invaded eastern part of my country and spawned their bastards over there REEEEEEE if it weren't for them Byzantine Empire would still be a thing

Sounds like a depressing shithole that no one gives a fuck about.

tin pot dictatorships that have insane cult of personalities.

bretty cool pic of a turkmeni man and his camel in 1910.

I'm getting OCD from that flag, feel like the moon and stars need to be bigger to fill in the empty space

the flag meant to be a carpet actually.
>getting butthurt over what happened 1000 years ago
yorgo pls

tfw you realize the camel is long dead

>I don't understand why conservative Turks like him so much. He was a secularist who wanted to westernize the country
he literally saved the turks from being genocided into oblivion
they might not like his laicist ideology but some like his military achievements
>He even wanted the county's name to be Anatolia and not turkey
sounds like some greek bullshit
he did want to rename the country to Turkeli and change the flag to a Göktürk one though
> It seems so antithetical to their views.
Islamic conservatives in here would love it if we changed the name to Anatolian Islamic Republic or Ottoman Republic or some shit like that
they are always like bla bla something about ummah and racism

Turkmenistan is hosting the 5th Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games in Ashgabat this year in September.

Look up the Parthians, they were the original eastern iranic peoples that inhabited that region.

Since nobody posted this
varlamov.ru/tag/turkmenistan

Shit's surreal