What was the point of this scene?

What was the point of this scene?

Other urls found in this thread:

vulture.com/2014/10/mulholland-drives-evil-hobo-breaks-her-silencio.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

PURE UNDILUTED LYNCH HEROIN

I dunno. Probably a result of it being a cancelled tv show and thus the plot got messy or something

To scare the piss out of me.

>le jumpscare

is the Bum Monster the scariest thing Lynch ever dreamt up?

yes

To sell you Utz chips.
UTZ. BETTER THAN NUTS

something something dream logic

>Bum Monster
lewd

It was her realization of what she did, personified in dream imagery

Better watch your sleep, otherwise the Bum Monster will diddle you when you least expect it.

I was really disappointed when the monster was just Zach de la Rocha.

i thought the guy describing his dream of the man's face was scarier.

telling the audience that what is happening as a dream
>describes events that happened in a dream
>described events happen
>rest of movie turns out to be a dream
he tells you whats going on right at the beginning

Is this the greatest performance by a musician in cinema history?

Mike Stoklasa?

Bonnie Aarons

That makes sense. Can you explain the mobsters who were hijacking this guy's movie and what that means? I don't remember his story crossing over with the two girls until the end, where they may or may not be different characters.

My interpretation is that they represent the unseen corporations and forces that control the film industry
They aren't showed or explained in the movie because as a young actress or up and coming filmmaker, you wouldn't understand their goings-on either
They're just this omnipresent force that you can't understand, but they can dictate the success or failure of your entire career
Which is a pretty scary thought

He barely did anything though.

>Contained within the original DVD release is a card titled "David Lynch's 10 Clues to Unlocking This Thriller". The clues are:

>Pay particular attention in the beginning of the film: At least two clues are revealed before the credits.
>Notice appearances of the red lampshade.
>Can you hear the title of the film that Adam Kesher is auditioning actresses for? Is it mentioned again?
>An accident is a terrible event—notice the location of the accident.
>Who gives a key, and why?
>Notice the robe, the ashtray, the coffee cup.
>What is felt, realized and gathered at the Club Silencio?
>Did talent alone help Camilla?
>Note the occurrences surrounding the man behind Winkie's.
>Where is Aunt Ruth?

Care to take a crack at this?

Meant to post pic related to refute

Not even Lynch's best

I remember reading these after I had first watched the movie and trying to figure them out, but I can't remember much now

Though as far as the first point goes, one of the first shots is a first person view of someone lying down into a pillow, also a subtle clue that the following events are a dream
I don't know what the second clue is, but I had always assumed it just referred to the dance sequence showing the jitterbug competition that Naomi Watts wins setting off her move to Hollywood

not the monster itself, but the scene as a whole

Easily. I've seen it 12 times and I still get really fucking scared everytime I see it.

Oh shit, I forgot about the jitterbug thing.

I like that even after seeing the movie a few times, and knowing exactly what's going to happen right down to the timing, I still hate watching that scene
It just fills me with dread and I don't want to watch

Even on first watching, the guy tells you exactly what's going to happen. Seeing his dream come true is scary.

I made the mistake of watching this scene on youtube before I had seen the movie because everyone said how scary it was. Out of context it's laughably bad--the tracking shot that telegraphs everything, the horrible poop makeup, the overracting. Ruined the scene forever for me. It reminds me of the Brazil shot from Signs which did make me jump when I saw it in theaters but would be just as bad as just a clip.

test sage

i see you, ban tester

It's an extremely well executed jump scare, which creates massive tension throughout the rest of the movie whenever the same camera technique is used where it creeps slowly around a corner. I think it's the only real jump scare in the entire film, but after this you are constantly bracing yourself.

>when you realize she was just giving the I-want-to-sit-on-your-face eyes

vulture.com/2014/10/mulholland-drives-evil-hobo-breaks-her-silencio.html

>He had an idea of what he wanted. David was going over the facial expressions. I did a couple, and he’s sitting there with me, and he says, “No. Nothing like that at all.” And, ya know, David Lynch is really hot, and I’m looking at him all dreamy-eyed, and he says to me, “That’s it: the look, Bonnie!”

mind = blown

this shot is scarier than the homeless man. its the anticipation of the horror that fucks me up.

the first time i saw it, i swore it was going to be some kind of asspull and there wouldn't be anything there :3

are we negroesmommy

one thing i like about this scene in the diner, that adds to the weird feeling, is that the camera keeps moving in a weird floating manner

This scene gave me a woody.