Just saw Singin' in the Rain on the big screen at my local Century theater

The theater was packed. Everyone stood and clapped at the end. It may perhaps be the single greatest moviegoing experience I ever had. Tell me, Sup Forums, what is the point of going to see modern capeshit and starshit at the theaters when you can go see the classics on the big screen? Theater chains might as well play nothing but pre-80s movies. It's all I watch anyway. We all know cinema essentially died in the 80s. Have you been taking advantage of TCM's Fathom Events? Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p2ytvJxTjTU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I saw it at my theater and there were only old ladies and me. Where do you live?

I have a bad habit of seeing the Fathom screenings I'm interested in a few months before they schedule that film, so I pass on most. And the films picked lean too heavy on musicals and movies aimed at old ladies, or films casuals would pay to see (Shawshank, Godfather, Jaws almost yearly.)

I saw Lawrence of Arabia in 2012 for it's 50th anniversary, it was phenomenal.

Singin' in the Rain is genuinely one of the best musicals ever made. I'd love to see it in a cinema.

Sup Forums is full underages manchildren, you haven't figured it out yet?

It's a great program, agreed, saw Maltese Falcon and a couple other films. Having said that

>tell me, Sup Forums, what is the point of going to see modern capeshit and starshit at the theaters when you can go see the classics on the big screen?

Don't go getting all pretentious on us bc you saw one kino in a kinotorium.

Berkeley California. My theater was full. There were of course older folks, but I saw plenty young 20 year olds as well. It was frankly pretty magical to see people so enthusiastic, enraptured, and having such a good time. To see these films in person with like-minded cinephiles who can appreciate them on the big screen is truly the way they were meant to be seen.

Even though I shitted on post-80s movies (you know what I mean), I'm gonna go see Ghost and Groundhog Day next week.

>watch 60 year old movie
>stand up and clap at the end

americans...

>And the films picked lean too heavy on musicals and movies aimed at old ladies
I think it's just the time of the year what with post-election and La La Land buzz. Carousel was the previous one shown, and that was equally incredible film-wise, but it was unfortunate the theater was rather empty. That was a Sunday night showing I saw though. Interestingly enough, there was a cute young Mexican couple there that were pretty jazzed (well the wife was)

What would you say the average age of the audience was ?Was it all old people?

This movie makes La La Land look like absolute shit. How come modern actors cant dance or sing anymore?

I saw a rerun of The Shining in theatres.
It was the most I've ever laughed in a movie theatre.

did you go alone?

Last year there were some pretty packed ones in my area like the Kubrick ones. Those were some of the most enjoyable theater experiences I've had. I was waiting to see how many people would start giggling during the A NIGGER? scene.

I actually didn't expect everyone to. I was compelled to so much after the ending, so when I saw everyone else soon did, needless to say, you could tell it was a moving experience. There's something innately touching watching a really great film with an equally appreciative and enthralled crowd.

Oh Berkeley? That was just all the gays, Of course it would have a big turnout.

>I think it's just the time of the year what with post-election and La La Land buzz.

I've been following the showings for years and it always seems to be Hepburn/Monroe/Bogart/60s musicals for 3/4 of the year, 70s-90s blockbusters in the summer, and a couple classic horror films in October. It's very conservative programming, which I totally get, but it can be disappointing.

Because singing and dancing are not talents necessary in the industry since the late 70s.

After Silence, the quiet after it ended was immense. Even the men's room was solemn

I try to go as often as I can. I've seen

Andrei Rublev
The Hourglass Sanitorium
The Tenant
A Short Story About Love
Wings Of Desire, Alice In The Cities
The Leopard, The Innocent
Once Upon A Time In America
Mamma Roma, Arabian Nights
Fellini Roma, Satyricon
Hands Over The City
La Grande Illusion
Pierrot Le Fou
Ikiru
Cruel Story of Youth
Tokyo Godfathers
Chungking Express
The Terrorizers
Sunrise with a live orchestra
City Lights
On The Town
A Foreign Affair, One, Two, Three
River Of No Return
All About Eve
Welles' The Trial
Hangmen Also Die
The Asphalt Jungle
The King Of New York
To Live And Die In L.A., Sorcerer
Blue Velvet
Brazil
Lawrence Of Arabia, Ryan's Daughter
Heaven's Gate
Gangs Of NY

Probably forgetting a few. Sunrise was an incredible experience.

>Berkeley California.
FAGGOT DETECTED

Jokes aside, that's why. You live in a smart liberal town where people pay for good moviegoing expirinces. The rest of this board doesn't. Why are you acting surprised?

>It was the most I've ever laughed in a movie theatre.
Imma bash your brains in

>muh classics

Singin in the Rain had one good scene and it was when they tried to make a sound movie and failed miserably.

Popularity, demographics, and marketability I would presume. They ought to play more silent movies and westerns. Intolerance would be something to behold. I saw The Big Country starring Charlton Heston, Jean Simmons, and Gregory Peck on bluray last night and a lot of the shots in it made me want to take out a loan to get a new bigger tv.

>one good scene
literally every musical number is iconic and memorable the first time on viewing.

This scene alone was worth the price of admission. I would've paid concert ticket price to see this on the big screen.

youtube.com/watch?v=p2ytvJxTjTU

>literally every musical number is iconic and memorable the first time on viewing.

They're only """iconic""" because the critics and nostalgiafags say so. I don't remember a single one of them.

Good for you OP, sounds like a fun time.

The reason why I don't go to these is because I don't feel like paying full price for a digital DVD blowup of a film I can watch at home. If it was a fil print being projected, then I'd be more tempted.

I wish I lived near a theater that does the Fathom Events thing. My local theater is part of a smaller chain which does this sometimes. Last year they did My Fair Lady, which is one of my favorite movies, but I had to be somewhere else.

I don't remember a single one of them.

Nice bait, but no catch

Westerns need a serious revival among young cinephiles, musicals as well. Noir seems to be the go-to classic genre for young people, but the latter two seem more relevant today. All this current criticism of history/society/violence/masculinity (westerns) and appreciation for purely visual cinema (musicals, but today the attention seems to be on bad action films), but people seem more drawn to the base cynicism of noir.

>they're iconic because lots of people remember them
thanks miriam-webster

Excellent taste user. That's my favorite scene.

I may not like QT as a person but he did do the right thing and buy a movie theatre to screen his collection of classic titles with actual film projectors and cheap popcorn.

Does anybody here know the mechanics of how they're getting these movies on the screen?

I read a vague Indiewire article that said they were streamed automatically from a server farm, but what is the source that they're using? Are they streaming the Blurays or the masters? I ask because Carousel looked really fucking sharp but I saw some screenshots of the Roger and Hammerstein collection on Bluray.com, and it doesn't look nearly as clear and touched up. Indiewire also mentioned these films have been digitally restored in higher resolution, but I need more details.

Holy fuck! Now this is what I'm talking about. Thank you for posting this. I know what I'm doing next time I drive down to LA.

East Coaster and I'm jealous. Tell me you went to the Dario Argento All-Nighter.

I really wish I did but I moved to SF bay area. Best comparable moment was to see a screening of Blade Runner at the Directors guild.
That Raging Bull and Empire of the Sun call to me too.