/who/ - Doctor Who General

Capaldi edition

Where did we get up to with the episode editions? We should finish those off before S10

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1xjrzYZM3Ri
youtube.com/watch?v=6IH_z6vG1eg
twitter.com/GirlyLetters/status/822068870445985795
youtube.com/watch?v=JQseBwXjEDA
twitter.com/CaroSkinner/status/822089568014962688
ew.com/tv/2017/01/16/donald-trump-election-biggest-mistake/
thinkprogress.org/9-terrifying-things-donald-trump-has-publicly-said-about-nuclear-weapons-99f6290bc32a#.3djfork34
twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/811977223326625792
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>why Matt Smith was certain he was staying for series 8 and announced his departure three months later.
Because he got a job offer from hollywood in that time and thought he'd make it big

New Earth is next iirc.

Never a good sentence...

Gonna hope the last thread trail doesn't die

Going in

Ok nevermind turns out it's Tooth and Claw, that was quick.

I don't remember getting past McGann though...

>Unless you can post any proof of this, preferably an audio clip, no one will ever believe you
vocaroo.com/i/s1xjrzYZM3Ri

I invented Doctor Who

kekerino

Holy shit Ive been outrused, looks like we're even now

Seriously though that is amazing. I usually listen to the end but that story was so shit I didn't bother. Has this been done anywhere else?

Not that I know of, no. This and Five(ish) Doctors makes me wish they let Five be a little funnier during his run. Davison's a funny guy.

Is there anyone here who has the episode "The Doctor's Daughter" downloaded in fairly decent quality that is also good at ripping a specific audio track from the episode while separating it from the spoken dialogue that accompanies it?

No but what's the audio track? Since it's music I'd say MI7G has probably already ripped it

more like retardis hehehe

No I did. It's shit.

"Doctor Who was a mistake." - Sydney Newman

The music that plays during the scene with Donna, Jenny and the Doctor in the prison cell.

It's during the part where the Doctor explaining why Jenny isn't a real Time Lord.

It starts exactly when the Doctor says "Only it's gone now, all of it"

It's an alterted subtle version of This is Gallifrey.

youtube.com/watch?v=6IH_z6vG1eg

Paul McGann

Peter was right

twitter.com/GirlyLetters/status/822068870445985795

Capaldi also loved In the Forest of the Night.

But it's... a perfect visual representation about where he's at as a.. as a character... Peter no stoppit wait..

He will save us all from both Moffat and Chibnall.

Wow what an out of context quote. He thought it was terrible when he read the script but loved it during filming and used it as an example of him being wrong.

What does it say? I'm on my phone and it won't load

>Peter Capaldi thought the idea of the Doctor riding in on a tank, playing the guitar in 'The Magician's Apprentice'was terrible. #DoctorWho

She doesn't say where it's from though. Just puts it out there. And if its the same quote I read awhile back he only thought it was bad when he read the script.

True though. Moffat thinks the Doctor needs to be 'reintroduced' in some explosive way every series.

Why?

What's wrong with him just appearing? That tank moment was the moment 12 started going downhill as a character.

youtube.com/watch?v=JQseBwXjEDA

>haha you were a fan when you were little
Why do they always ask the same shitty questions? I bet Moffat's gonna be happy to be done with these shitty interviews once he leaves DW.

>Schtewen Mohat
>Pejuh Capowjee

The fuck?

>That tank moment was the moment 12 started going downhill as a character.
How did he go downhill?

Because you could tell it was a desperate attempt by the BBC to make the Doctor 'likable' again. It showed no risk taking, which is what the casting of Capaldi was all about.

Because they took everything that made him unique, binned it and replaced him with a less handsome Ten clone with shittier jokes.

Alright.

>Ten clone
wot

twitter.com/CaroSkinner/status/822089568014962688

Moffat has unerased her?

GARETH GETTING UNERASED TOO

GET HYPE

Sorry GareBear it's not happening yet for you buddy. Maybe in a few years.

And so it came to pass that the players took their final places. Making ready the events that were to come. A writer sat in his empire of dust and ashes. Little knowing of the glory he would achieve. While the showrunner looked upon the wilderness in the hope of changing his inevitable fate.

Far away, the idiots and fools dreamt of a shining new future. A future now doomed to never happen. As Earth rolled onwards into night the people of that world did sleep. And shiver. Somehow knowing the dawn would bring only one thing.

A new meme.

What do you think will become a 'classic' from NewWho in years to come?

Love and Monsters will be watched with a cheery irony, whereas I think the real classics will be 'Heaven Sent' and 'Vincent and the Doctor'.

Some more Gaiman on the BBC too

BBC Studios is practically the privatised wing of the BBC.
S11 might well be made by them and not BBC Wales.

As a person who spent some time in psychiatric care due to various mental problems, including depression, I despise Vincent and the Doctor with rage of ten thousands suns.

Yeah it's actually fairly expoloitative. Using mental health issues for emotional manipulation.

I don't think it will become a "classic" but I think Girl Who Died will become more liked over time.
Everyone was a little too hype at Mathieson returning and people kind of thought (myself included) that it was going to be similar to Mummy/Flatline but instead was a romp episode. It's pretty good fun on rewatch once you know what you're watching.

Wondered about why the Novel Adaptations range failed to rake in sales, and I guess it could be chalked up to the following:

Adapting books out of order: I get that Briggs would want to adapt the well-known books like Love and War first to lure subscribers in, but it leads to a lot of oversights like adapting a Chris/Roz book before adapting the book that introduces Chris and Roz. And the Damaged Goods audio expects you to know who they are, so if you're not a VNA fan, you're gonna be lost.

Some of the VNAs suck: On the other hand, taking the brave route and adapting all the VNAs in reading order also would have failed because not even an army of Rob Shearmans could make Timewyrm Genesys a listenable story, let alone a good one. And I'm sure everyone at BF knew that when they kept raving about how The Highest Science was the first Benny/7 story while hoping no one would prod them about Transit.

Not getting the original authors to adapt them: I know Cornell and Gatiss are too busy, and people like Roberts are probably not going to return any calls, but why get someone else to adapt an Andy Lane book when you already have Andy Lane writing audios for you?

Assuming that one book equates to four episodes: Also silly, because I always had the idea that 50 pages of a Who book equated to one episode of the old show. Cold Fusion was the only audio to get that these adaptations should be 6 episodes, and that's only because it's by the original author.

My local bookstore in the 90s had a pretty decent DW turnover rate, about the same as star trek, tekwar and babylon5 as far as I could tell. How that equates to success in sales i don't know. There could be a higher rate of nerd per capita here.
>Rob Shearmans could make Timewyrm Genesys a listenable story, let alone a good one
It couldn't be a faithful adaptation but goddamn it a 7th doctor story featuring gilgamesh and the kingdom of ur could be. It's a nearly perfect setting. As for the rest lol idk

>tfw they adapted Gareth's mediocre first novel instead of GOAT Transit

>but why get someone else to adapt an Andy Lane book when you already have Andy Lane writing audios for you?
They asked him, but he refused because he said he couldn't cut material from his books and would have tried to keep everything from the novels in the adaptations. It was in an issue of Vortex.

Why?

Very PSA-smarmy. Self-congratulatory "Look mum, I'm helping".

Can you be more descriptive than that?

A man of principal

Lol. Stupid deluded decision.

*principle

And I was so sure Moffat had her buried under the Weeping Angel statue in his back garden.

*typo meme

ew.com/tv/2017/01/16/donald-trump-election-biggest-mistake/

>The showrunner of Sherlock and Doctor Who is not mincing words when it comes to Donald Trump.

>In an interview with EW, we asked British writer-producer Steven Moffat about the show’s villainous character Culverton Smith. Smith was introduced into the series last week as wealthy and famous media-loving mogul who is secretly a serial killer. Some have compared the look and portrayal of Smith (pictured above with Trump) to that of the president-elect. Was that comparison intentional by the producers?

>“Only in the sense of a general disquiet about how celebrity seems to erase all other sins — in that sense, I suppose, it’s about the rise of celebrity,” Moffat said. “And now we have a completely unqualified man to be running America. It’s extraordinary and possibly fatal for the human race — that’s not an exaggeration. It might be the biggest mistake made in human history, giving that man the nuclear codes. So I think the idea is that celebrity allows you to transgress in ways that normal human beings are not allowed to. [Trump’s] admitted to sexual predator behavior — sexually assault, really — and that’s extraordinary to me. He’s not the only celebrity like that. He’s just about to become the most powerful one.”

> It might be the biggest mistake made in human history, giving that man the nuclear codes.
I barely pay attention to politics but why do people seem to be talking about America's nukes a lot more often? We /coldwar/ again?

Certain people are scared of trump's decision making process and think he will launch nukes at the smallest provocation.
Never mind the fact that it's completely unfounded and just a shallow appeal to their worst fears. It can't be empirically proven false so it may as well be true to them thanks to confirmation bias

Yeah Trump's clearly a perfectly reasonable and sane man and we should totally not be terrified of possible nuclear holocaust. Fuck off back to Sup Forums!

Most of the world thinks similarly. This is a non-story. Stop ruining this thread with politics.

>we should totally not be terrified of possible nuclear holocaust
of fucking course we shouldn't you conspiracy loonie

Conspiracy? What the fuck are you talking about? Nuclear war has been the greatest threat to humanity since 1945 .

>He’s not the only celebrity like that.
You are as well Moff

The conspiracy is that you think trump will be the catalyst to initiate it when there's zero basis for this claim. Trump was consistently the most anti-war candidate this election, he will not suddenly turn into a nuclear warmonger.

Your opinions are not based in reality.

>completely unfounded

thinkprogress.org/9-terrifying-things-donald-trump-has-publicly-said-about-nuclear-weapons-99f6290bc32a#.3djfork34
twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/811977223326625792

go back to Sup Forums

Can we talk about Doctor Who?

Then why has he promised to increase America's nuclear arsenal, to tear up the Iran deal and filled his cabinet with warmongers?

>Trump was consistently the most anti-war candidate this election,

Which Doctor Who villain is most like Donald Trump?

Clinton wanted a no fly zone over Syria which would put the US into conflict with Russia.

>unironically posting a clickbait "X things that Y" list from a blatantly partisan website
Notice how in all those quotes he keeps talking about having "cards on the table". If he explicitly stated that he would not use nuclear weapons, an enemy who does wish to use them on the US (eg north korea) would know they can do it without concern of instant retaliation.

That tweet is simple logic. In the event that nuclear war happens, it's in america's interest that it's able to counterattack effectively. It's an incredibly shitty scenario but not one that should be ignored.

Max Capricorn

Maybe the John Simm Master.

Name one candidate who was more anti-war than trump
hint: it's not Hillary "shoot down the russian planes" Clinton

>samefagging this hard

It's true, lad. Bush and Clinton wanted no-fly zones.

try again sweetie ;)
check the timestamps, not enough time to have faked this either before you go into that defense

>thinkprogress

>clickbait title

lmao neck yourself you retard.

How does it feel knowing we have the super majority and will change the culture of the USA for decades to come?

Get fucked, libcuck.

real persuasive, user
you suer changed her opinion

>If you're anti-Trump you must be pro-Clinton hurr durr

Did you just assume someone's gender?

>gets btfo
>starts crying

I'm not trying to change "her" opinion, just letting "her" know her opinion is actually irrelevant and that she has lost, and should abandon all hope.

We're the legal majority now, Paco.

Um, actually shitlord I prefer XER or XERES.

Do not presume to know my pronouns AGAIN. Got it?

>thinkprogress
Kek. Obama and Hillary were determined to go to war with Russia. If you don't want to talk about politics, fine, but don't be an idiot.

You must be a billionaire or at the very least a millionaire to be so excited about Trump, right?

Primitive deflection.
Name one candidate who was more anti-war than trump

Open border policy, this is our general now.

Bye bye!

what's wrong with trump?

Huh? Explain.

You must be a failure, NEET loser in life who needs free hand outs to not be, right?

The good thing about Doctor Who is that anyone can enjoy it. I'm in the UK and a Conservative voter.

Doctor who is not a communist show. Trump barely cares about social policies at all, only economic ones. Nothing in doctor who is particularly political, especially regarding economics.

Cuvlerton Smith was clearly based on Jimmy Savile. We're only having this whole discussion because americans think everything is about them

Bernie Sanders. Obviously...

Nothing, he's going to be a great President.

proof, user

Should have clarified. SERIOUS Candidate. Not a scam artist in it for the cash.

>EVEN THOUGH I AM MATHEMATICALLY ELIMINATED IN EVERY WA, PLEASE DONATE ANOTHER 9 DOLLARS TO OUR CAUSE