Rock is dead

>rock is dead
>rap is dying
Minimalist folk is the future guys, I suggest you hop on the ship before it sails.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/yX908Qi-7DE
youtu.be/3QOf_fl9Sp8
youtube.com/watch?v=YSh-YsyjpXk
youtu.be/jsZ2s-35Cnk
youtube.com/watch?v=TLB1n1vJkKg
youtube.com/watch?v=MrVIgiA8A4E
youtube.com/watch?v=uldtZCI5sFk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

recc me some

>rap is dying

If you’ve already heard Pink Moon and Anthology of American Folk these are pretty good.
youtu.be/yX908Qi-7DE
youtu.be/3QOf_fl9Sp8

Woody Guthrie, Jackson C. Frank, Leadbelly, Pete Seeger, early Bob Dylan, Phil Ochs, early Donovan, Nick Drake, Dave Van Ronk, Odetta, Joan Baez, The Weavers, The Almanac Singers, Ramblin' Jack Elliot, Guy Carawan, The New Lost City Ramblers, Ewan MacColl, and Burl Ives

Dance punk, Shoegaze and Experimental hiphop are the next big genres.

what was meant.

cowboy music is the future

rap is dying

its the same stagnate trap shit and people trying to imitate nu metal (the most heinous of metals)

Then niggers and rap fags have the fucking gall to pretend like rap is good.

Yeah, rap is on the charts. But from a sound perspective its complete fucking garbage

>dance punk
Recently deceased so it’ll take a long ass time for the pendulum to swing back again
>shoegaze
Same as above
>experimental hiphop
Now you’re just being delusional

rap is in it's nu-metal phase

Minimalist instrumental folk style/fingerstyle music is the future of that future.
youtube.com/watch?v=YSh-YsyjpXk

I agree

Soon people will realize how shitty top 100 billboard crap is and branch out. Some kind of minimalist folk will gain an underground following until the media gets its dirty hands on it (like with Bob Dylan).

I already make this kinda music and nobody gives a shit. I honestly can't see it making any kind of a real comeback.

Link?

Also do you play outside or just in your room?

Nah I aint gonna just shill my stuff. I've probably done that too much on this site already. And yeah I primarily just play and record by myself. I started doing some open mics recently and it was alright but I just didn't really get much out of it. Just made me feel like an asshole for some reason but whatever.

It's entered it's hair metal phase. It has 3-4 years left, tops.

I'm generally more into emo fingerstyle stuff than folk/bluegrass but Fahey is great. His playing is minimal but also intricate.

Try doing 500 open mics and street performances before making a judgement. I’m sure you know that the vast majority of great folk artists died knowing that no one cared about their music right? Just play for fun.

how can you seriously think that the music of the future isn't made using computers?

you want to see the real folk music of our time it's the bleep bloops made by nobodies all over soundcloud and bandcamp. In the future people are going to regard vaporwave the way we regard anthropological folk music recordings from the turn of the century.

It's at its peak now. But it's rotting from the inside out. We've reached the point where any faggy little kid can tattoo his face and drop something on soundcloud and suddenly he's famous. That shit will eventually burn out.

>
>how can you seriously think that the music of the future isn't made using computers?

This is exactly why (some) audiences are going to move away from computer music; people are going to crave something completely opposite, then it will be "cool" and everyone will bandwagon. Screen cap this.

i dont think you grasp the concept of what folk music actually is and im going to pat you on the head and pretend you arent retarded like with a real retard kid

Connie Converse
youtu.be/jsZ2s-35Cnk

What exactly do you mean by music of the future? I’m sure that commercials and pop music will be made by computers, but only folk is raw enough to gain a cult following. Minimalist techno often times just doesn’t have soul.

>middle class white people with acoustic guitars
>raw

I mean yeah that's basically what I felt. I'll continue to write and record stuff on my own but don't have much of a desire to actively perform it irl.
But the thing is I can play for fun without involving other people. Just feels like doing any more than that would accomplish nothing more than fueling my ego. I'll just record stuff and if the people who happen to come across my bandcamp end up liking it then great.

Also I want to tack on that the original post I made makes it sound like I was saying that that people not caring about my music is the basis for me thinking that folk won't make a comeback, which isn't what I meant to say. I'm nothing special, I just can't see folk ever being big again regardless. It had that revival in the 2000's and while some good stuff came out of it as a whole it got real corny and commercialized to hell real quick. There can still be quality minimalist songwriters like Julien Baker but she doesn't come from a folk background to begin with and is filling a more specific role that isn't quite as outdated as the "folk singer" ideal. Maybe some kind of rediscovery of the old delta or chicago blues guys could happen, which would be pretty cool but I wouldn't count on it too hard.

>But the thing is I can play for fun without involving other people
Fair enough m8

Maybe we’ll see mutts and mexicans leading the way for folk instead, it’s happened before.

>Move away from computer music.

All music today is recorded and distributed via computer. How is it feasible to say we'll move away from them? Sure people will want something different, in time - but they'll look for it on a computer. The folkies of the 60s kept singing about New York and god knows people are going to sing about YouTube or some shit, because that's where they've put the world now.

I read a review of a Taylor Swift album not long ago and the author went into great depth about her use of "Nikes". Like saying how she admired some guys Nikes or something and how this was of great cultural import and god knows this author probably wasn't far wrong, because that's what people wear and it's probably what they'll want to listen to.

Which is what folk music is, in the end. Not another bloody Roud ballad with some gayly fingerpicked guitar behind it. It's whatever people are listening to and are taking methods from and making their own shit with. Soundcloud rap is more today's folk music than "folk music", which is pretty much a museum piece. They're really not so different in the end, either. Minimalist folk will always come back in fashion, it'll just be done in different ways than before.

Can you dance to folk music? that's a requirement to make it mainstream.

I think music will certainly continue to be recorded and "made" with computers, but eventually AI is going to be creating content to compete with actual humans and most instrumentation will be purposefully synthetic/digital, and some people will reject that

I never said minimalist folk was going to be mainstream

in a couple of decades, computers will be able to compose a thousand symphonies besting Beethoven's and Haydn's in a matter of milliseconds. People used to think chess was an art and the exclusive preserve of human genius, but in this day and age, a fucking laptop can beat even the greatest grandmasters.

The problem with that is it wasn't made by a human being with real experience and emotions, not synthetically driven or algorithmic ones. No matter how "good" those symphonies may be, the human touch is what separates "content" from "art".

(IMO)

AI will never be the able to mimic a guitar and voice well enough, at least not for a few generations.

mexican folk music is kool
youtube.com/watch?v=TLB1n1vJkKg
youtube.com/watch?v=MrVIgiA8A4E
youtube.com/watch?v=uldtZCI5sFk

that's wrong.

t. spooked humanist.

your brain is a computer, powerful, but not all powerful your DNA is an algorithm, complex but limited.

That may be right but I can't see humans giving up on producing art anytime soon, if only for commercial matters. Indie is unironically the music on the future because kids one or two generations away will regard guitars as vintage and cool, learn to play them to pick up stupid qts that only listen to computer generated top 40, and add some jangly shit to their blip blops. Maybe if technologies advance that much even synths could become so iconic

The person programming is human and has emotions

Get this right, there is more music than just rock and rap!!!11!1!

>implying anything remotely human makes it out of the near future

Phil was so handsome.

Thats a totally valid argument, thanks for making a really worthwhile post where you manage to articulate why you don't agree with me.

Exactly though, those limitations are unique and what makes the art relatable.

I don't think you know what we are talking about.

look at the enormous emotional power of this forum you have spent hours reading. Nothing written here is so complex that it couldnt be completely simulated by computers in the near future, yet you consume it happily.

you are wrong.

plus it's already happened that millions connect with digital music that is utterly mechanical.

computers will eventually figure out better and more sophisticated ways to 'be unique'. being 'relatable' is just a question of engaging the right neural pathways.

Rap is dying fast