Wasted potential thread

Wasted potential thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uJMj8UF7yYo
youtube.com/watch?v=tbLt0S0W5jE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What happened to him?

I guess he doesn't make the right sort of blips.

honestly. When you hear his sense of harmony and realize he wasted all his ability on some ambient albums. He could've been so much more if he collaborated more, came out of his bubble more. Or maybe he really was that introverted that when he left his house he couldn't function properly

what are you talking about he's one of the most influential and important artists in the genre

well I say was, ofc I mean "is". And I guess he's opened up at least a bit more in recent years, but I also think he's passed his prime. Can only hope for the best

true, but I still think he could've been more

>he's passed his prime.
i think that's honestly retarded. when you realize the position he is in you realize the public only gets to hear a tiny fraction of the music he has made and is making right now, so in all likely hood his best stuff is yet to come, he just has no pressing need to release it anytime soon and is sitting on it. This goes for a lot of musicians I think especially electronic ones who are successful enough that they can do music full time and who are actually passionate about music.

jeez, do you know his attitude? he's not a nice guy for sure
it's magic that he actually collaborated with someone
youtube.com/watch?v=uJMj8UF7yYo

He is considered one of the most important figures in recent music history. Jesus, what can you ask for more? I'm serious.
Also nice dubs

modular synth sounds great. but ive never heard a decent song made with modular synths.

GOD

He makes 10 albums per year with some glimpses of genius here and there that completely drowns in his unability to focus and break out his comfort zone. I mean, sometimes, for half of second, you can hear scrap of ideas that are ahead of fucking everything that was made in the world of electronic music, but its immediatly destroyed by half assed execution. If he fucking sat down for 3-4 years and made an effort to produce cohesive work he would ascend to hights that nobody seen before.

Notice how he's way less secretive about his production methods in the last years? I get the feeling he's passing on the torch so to speak. He's had his littest years, and is dialling back a bit whilst helping out new producers, help create new talent.

yes, but it also looks good

youtube.com/watch?v=tbLt0S0W5jE

He's french canadian and that interview was in France.
He was surprisingly polite, if everything

Me.

Squarepusher is less secretive now, so is Eric Clapton. It just has to do with being older and secure in you position where you realize you can be more open because you have enough experience to know what makes your music special can't be ripped off by people knowing how you made it.

shite. only peopel who are modular enthusiasts will appreciate this

Syro was his big thing and it turned out to be below even Analord level in terms of evolution of his sound. He simply burnt out

syro was straight up shite. i was absolutely quite amazed at how bad it sounded the first time i herd it. I was pretty hyped for it and had reserved the time to listen to it without interruption. put it on and after 15 minutes i could not believe what i was haering. holt fuck it was shite

why do you think Syro was his big thing? even the packaging and promotion made it clear what it was, an accessible product. There's no reason to think it's the best music he's sitting on, just music that was nice and good enough to release and get some money for. Most likely we won't start getting releases that are among the best things he's made until he's very old. You just don't get it from his perspective there's no need to rush, he's already got all the money and audience, he isnt gonna release his best stuff as soon as he makes it.

If you listen to his soundcoud tracks I think that's the best he has from the late '80s and '90s. There is nothing more. I could be wrong and I hope I'm wrong though. But ofc he has to keep up the interest and mystery by saying he's making better music than ever before and all that. It'll always remain partly marketing, and you can't trust anything he says in general anyway

why would you think he would put his best stuff up on soundcloud like he did? you are naive as fuck. This guy can make music all day everyday. His best music is not released. there's no way it would be at this point in his life.

Jesus fucking christ, how delusional one can be
He literally dumped almost everything that he was working on to soundcloud, and nothing of this was revelational. Yet you can hear some experiments, but still, his musical abilities only can go this far, and that border is obvious. Music ideas moved on and he's not. The king is naked, and there's no 90-s mistery anymore to cover his musical impotence

>He literally dumped almost everything that he was working on to soundcloud
why the fuck would you think that? He released a bunch of tracks that he cared so little about that he just put them on soundcloud to see what would happen, and his scraps were so good that they were instantly recognized as him and celebrated.

But are they really scraps though? That's always the question you have to ask yourself with everything he says. Always saying he's got better music for himself and stuff. If it's real I wanna hear it dammit. If he really has music that's better than anything he's ever put out at home on his pc, then that cannot get wasted. I mean, we just can't let that happen

He should finally fucking listen to advice that granddaddy Stockhausen gave him
>I heard the piece Aphex Twin of Richard James carefully: I think it would be
very helpful if he listens to my work Song Of The Youth, which is electronic
music, and a young boy's voice singing with himself. Because he would then
immediately stop with all these post-African repetitions, and he would look
for changing tempi and changing rhythms, and he would not allow to repeat
any rhythm if it were varied to some extent and if it did not have a
direction in its sequence of variations.

VS is Jesus.

>But are they really scraps though?
yes they really are and yes he really has better music and yes we probably wont even get to hear the very best but we will hear some excellent ones that surpass what we have heard so far eventually. For all we know he could be making albums planned for posthumous releases for a long time to ensure his family is looked after for generations. Look at who Prince made tons of stuff and just kept it in a vault.

amen

Break

ITT plebs

itt, the only real chads on Sup Forums

>yes they really are and yes he really has better music
keep telling yourself that
we heard his new stuff already on bunch of ep's and it was painfully mediocre
in all his recent music, regardless of effort and style he went with there is a pattern which already tells you - he is not capable of breaking that shell anymore

>have a good sound
>throw it all away for an exteremely watered down psych rock sound

you don't get it. he has zero incentive to release his best music now and he has incentive to save it for later. none of the eps or anything he does has to be groundbreaking. he's releasing music to sell it, not to call heaps of attention to himself and feed his ego.

>his best music now and he has incentive to save it for later
You know precisely that it's very dumb argument, especially if you consider his attitude through the years.
He wasn't aware what his best music was until it gained popularity.

>He listens only to VA compilations by sociopath recordings.

I would say that mcride utilized his potential just right. His most loaded works are early ones, and he put everything he had in it. So it's just natural that he has nothing really new to offer in terms of performance. it's up to Andy now to move project further.

you have zero common sense. I'm done with you but please remember me when you are listening to the best Aphex Twin album you've ever heard many years from now.

>the best Aphex Twin album you've ever heard many years from now
sure, i'm impatiently waiting for that SAW remaster