No more PBS?

The Trump administration is considering privatizing the Corporation for Public Broadcasting
thehill.com/policy/finance/314991-trump-team-prepares-dramatic-cuts
What a shame, I like PBS

good they deserve it for that awful youtube channel

i prefer stealing BBC anyway

GOOD!

Why on earth should I be paying tax dollars for British entertainment, or for government funded news shows? I didn't support Trump in the primaries, but I support cutting funding from just about everything. Thank you Mr. President.

Good goy! Give all the entertainment and informational channels to (((us))).

The knowledge will trickle down.

Fuck you Trump! I was slightly rooting for you before, but fuck you. PBS is the only channel who hasn't gone completely to shit at this point. They have the very few odd episode of reality tv series here and there, but not that much. They still have relevant documentaries. Where am I gonna get my nature docu? I want real shit, not crazy sound effects and animals acting like dumb fucks. Where will I get my historical docu? The History Cahnnel? HAHAHAHAHA

Fuck. I'm sad and mad at the same time now.

You and some other Viewers Like You can support your local stations and still get the same shows.

That's what you think, but no. Once it's privatized, it will go to shit. I've seen it numerous times before. History. Discovery.

So what your saying is that not enough people want these networks to support them without forcing people to. In that case, shouldn't we stop funding it. It's a little selfish of you to insist people keep paying for something that you want, but most of them don't.

PBS always shows the worst available copies of Public Domain films anyways.

Frontline is pretty much the only news program worth watching these days.

Do you want everything you see and hear to be dictated by the lowest common denominator?

damn, I'm really starting to regret supporting this guy. I mean I figured he'd be a good prez but he's really just a dumb libertarian.

guess I'm a berniebro now

I don't think it's any of the government's business to be funding entertainment or news. I like The Joy of Painting too, but I don't think there's any reason it should be funded by the state.

Wtf Sup Forums told me trump would be cool

I fucking hate the right wing now!!

Honestly, no, but isn't that basically what democracy is?

good, PBS and NPR are awful leftwing postmodernist bullshit.

all they do is bitch about race and feminism.

Republicans are such retards about PBS.

It costs almost nothing in the context of the Federal budget. They can find the room to lower the tax rate on high income earners below 25 percent, but they can't continue supporting Frontline?

You fool, this has been a long time coming. This is the best thing Trump will do in his presidency.

PBS died when Sesame Street left to HBO.

It didn't LEAVE to HBO, did it? Aren't they just showing it there also?

Don't forget TLC, which was once The Learning Channel, a channel dedicated to programming that would educate young people.

Now they have shows about fat people all day.

Oh boy. I can't wait until they go the way of the Discovery and History Channel.

I wonder what their first big hit will be. Hitler's Haunted Pawn Shops? Ancient Alien Rednecks? The future is so exciting!

(((They))) use that channel exclusively to normalize the sickest perversions out there and turn the goyim into degenerate wastrels

stay tuned for "my 6 month old FWB's life" in the next few years

Fuck, I forgot all about that. Thanks for reminding me, cunt.

They should focus on NPR first. PBS doesn't go out of their way to manufacture blatant propaganda as far as I'm aware.

>So what your saying is that not enough people want these networks to support them without forcing people to
Yes. Because most people have absolutely no interest in education or using television for any educational value. If PBS goes private say goodbye to the only source sensible documentaries, calm, balanced, news reporting, and boring yet informative reality programming.

This station can be saved by Drone wielding sniper nuts, and Viewers Like You. I'm not even trying to joke.

PBS is usually cool about shit like that. This is the only channel left that isn't political. Even the shows about politics they have show more than one side of the issues.

Thanks, 46%

So PBS will be better?

My local PBS on one of it's subchannels gives me NHK World (yes i know it's a stream too still it's nice that they do that) Love NHK World.

>Because most people have absolutely no interest in education or using television for any educational value.
Then they shouldn't be forced to pay for it. And of all the places to learn about what the government is doing, I wouldn't go for the government sponsored news source.

It's crazy how I haven't seen one Trump policy that I agree with

What OP didn't mention is that this plan is projected to save around 10 Trillion (yes with a T) dollars over the next ten years or so.

PBS is a relic of past times, the Internet does everything it was intended to. You want to publicly broadcast something? Do it for free on Facebook/YouTube/Twitch etc.

I'LL HAVE TWO NUMBER NINES

While it would be a shame, it's hardly worse than the death by a thousand cuts which currently has PBS hosts thanking an endless list of rich people by name for a still-tiny budget. Charlie Rose interviews people who appear for free to plug their products, has a black studio, two chairs and a table, and still has a list of acknowledgements like a Best Actor acceptance speech.

Why is that crazy?

>PBS gets 14 million dollars of public funding
>meanwhile the government give no-bid contracts to how many DoD contractors driving military spending up and up and up and up
>Republicans claim to be fiscally conssrvative and want to cut PBS to stop wasteful spending

>What OP didn't mention is that this plan is projected to save around 10 Trillion (yes with a T) dollars over the next ten years or so.

Going directly into Trumps' friends' pockets :^)

Are you stupid?

Nobody who gets the chance to broadcast is going to send out a call for anarchy. PBS are less partisan than anyone else.

CR is still better than any other talk show on tv right now. They actually talk about stuff.

The stuff he's cutting is a minuscule part of the budget. If he really wants to eliminate the deficit he'll have to cut Social Security or something.

Terrible idea. Look what happened to The Learning Channel.

I like how you cut it off right before King Nigger took over.

Charlie Rose is a partisan hack.

FPBP; fuck pbs

>And of all the places to learn about what the government is doing, I wouldn't go for the government sponsored news source.
I know you don't actually believe PBS Newshour is anything like RT or State news in China or Turkey.
>Then they shouldn't be forced to pay for it.
I don't have a car. Why should my tax dollars be going to highways? I don't want my kid to learn about music. Why should my tax dollars be paying for instruments in public schools?

>What OP didn't mention is that this plan is projected to save around 10 Trillion (yes with a T) dollars over the next ten years or so.

What a load of bullshit. The annual appropriation to CPB is only $445 million per year.

>implying the popular vote is representative of the actual opinions of the people
Republicans in California don't even bother turning up to vote.

I don't know why but King Nigger evokes image of Trump inside my head rather than Obama

Doesn't change the fact that he could significantly reduce the naional debt without having to cut something like Social Security over his presidency.

>I don't want my kid to learn about music. Why should my tax dollars be paying for instruments in public schools?
I unironically agree with this point.

Because you're a cuck?

It would be a great show if Charlie were less of a dipshit. Not talking over the answers, or pretending to be astonished by basic information, or appearing impatient with any nuance the researcher didn't brief him on, or pretending to have thought of stuff everyone watching already read in the same press release he did, would all help. A show with that format and a non-dipshit host, I would love.

What?

Obama didn't do much. In many ways he is another Bush. Not that it matters much. Funding is more done by Congress anyway and Republicans have taken over that more and more during his terms because the Dems don't know how to keep their people in office. They spent so much money on Hillary they forgot that control of Congress is just as important. Now Republicans hold not only the Whie House, but both legislatures of Congress.

No wonder PBS might get defunded.

By not spending money? Get your head out of your ass. This is money not being spent by the government on wasteful contracts with friends.

If he were to say "here instead of PBS let's use my friends network JBS it's much better :^)" then you would be right.

It's going to turn into a MMA channel

IF YOU WANT TO FUCK ME THAT BADLY YOU KNOW WHERE TO FIND ME LAZY BONES

>I know you don't actually believe PBS Newshour is anything like RT or State news in China or Turkey.
No, but it's the principle of the thing.

That lets the opposition speak their piece. Rare these days.

The enire plan, not just PBS moron. Do you idiots even ever read policy or just rely on everybody else to tell you the parts they want you to hear?

The entire plan. Which also includes other incredibly dumb ideas. Not all spending cuts are good.
>You want to publicly broadcast something? Do it for free on Facebook/YouTube/Twitch etc
And where does the funding come to produce the programming. At least think about this stuff for five minutes before you advocate eliminating any public support for the arts and educational programming.

Nah they are religious nutjobs they will turn it into another church channel.

what do they show thats anything of value. Only thing I can think of is sesame street and thats on HBO now also

You're thinking of Trump's cock when you say he's King Nigger.

We will turn it into whatever capitalism dictates.

Sherlock

>The entire plan. Which also includes other incredibly dumb ideas.

This. You throw as much stupid crap as you can and then "compromise" later down the line by not cutting all the high-value items that would have been political suicide. But look, we still saved five dollars.

PBS does not fund many programs. For the most part PBS exists so programs can get on television for cheap, those programs still rely on donations and funding of their own.

Do you really think you could show up at PBS headquarters and request money for funding? Not how it works.

thats on BBC as well. Im talking exclusives only from PBS

Neither does NPR.

Also, complaining about manufactured news and outrage on Sup Forums, of all places, is fucking retarded.

This place memed the most unqualified person ever to run into the most powerful office in the world. That was less than 3 months ago.

Trump was going to form his own network if he had lost the election. It would be funny if a company owned by his family bought PBS.

No, that's not what I wrote. Don't worry about it buddy, ask your mom to read it for you.

>Do you idiots even ever read policy or just rely on everybody else to tell you the parts they want you to hear?

Do you think the many intelligent people in the Democratic Party would have let Hillary become their candidate if they didn't assume that most voters do exactly that?

What other interviewer is both argumentative yet receptive with political figures and pundits - without resorting to name calling, diversions, and interruption? What other interviewer on TV spends an hour talking to your favorite directors, authors, and actors, many of whom don't even get mentioned on other stations?

Food network 2.0

Maybe it won't be so bad if they keep the cooking shows they have now and don't do more shit like that brit cooking competition shit they have on right now?

Is this bait?

You want him inside you, the blood of the Herrenvolk pumping, berserker, merciless, insatiable.

no i legitimately cant think of anything. Shows like sherlock and sesame street dont count. If you take away PBS, they still exist elsewhere

Looks like you are projecting there a bit.

But

Yes, that's the joke, well done.

But your ok with government sponsored roads and bridges and clean water? A healthy balanced source of news is and should be a high priority for responsible government.

Republicans are doing everything in their power to make America dumber.

And it's working.

Ken Burns documentaries. Charlie Rose (funded partially by Bloomberg, though, so it's on there too). Rick Steves. PBS Newshour. Tons of local programming: In NYC off the top of my head: Theater Talk, NYC Arts, Out of Ireland, Religion and Ethics Weekly, Talk Stoop, New York Noise

You have no idea what you're talking about.

You see that $72.9 billion at the bottom? That's total overhead spent on Federal employees and services like the Postal Service, IRS, NASA, etc. Somewhere in that 6% of Discretionary Spending, PBS is spending pennies compared to what we as a nation spend on health care, military, and interest on our loans.

Cutting PBS isn't going to save us anything. You really want to save our budget, stop buying military tech we don't need and find a way to control the costs of health care so that the govt. doesn't have to step in to support so many people.

>save around $10 Trillion

You're dreaming. How the fuck is he going to pay for all those infrastructure projects (walls cost money, retard) by slashing services? If people can't pay their taxes because they have to choose to pay for other essential services that the govt no longer provides then you can't fund public works. Unless, of course, you tax the rich. But we both know Trump ain't giving himself a worse tax rate.

yes!
just look at how great RT is!
SEIZE THE MEANS OF PRODUCTION

>A healthy balanced source of news
damn you sure trust politicians, they'd never try to use that for their own benefit

Rick Steves is the best shit

>PBS
>well-balanced
>not blatantly Democrat propaganda like Charlie Rose

I liked PBS, but it's become garbage over the last decade or so.

Just because reality disagrees with you doesn't make it biased.

Nature. Secrets of the Dead. Globe Trekker. Operas&Musicals (that complete Ring Cycle Opera was great. It was like 15 hours long). Great Performances. Nova. Poldark.

Apples and oranges. Like saying you don't like restaurants because you ate at a Long John Silver's once.

damn...

they do good documentary tho

so nothing of value, got it

And who do you feel is better?