What does Sup Forums think of Adam Curtis?

What does Sup Forums think of Adam Curtis?

I thought pic related was breddy gud

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bWIkqEnVG8I
youtube.com/watch?v=Ph2KMKr5YSw
youtube.com/watch?v=x1bX3F7uTrg
youtu.be/eJ3RzGoQC4s?t=2h18m14s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Watched_Over_by_Machines_of_Loving_Grace_(TV_series)
soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/episode-65-no-future-feat-adam-curtis-121216
twitter.com/AnonBabble

its ok

i think the trump/russia connection was interesting but oversold. trump's techniques arent like russian political technologists. his campaign had more in common with professional wrestling storylines than kgb information-control spook stuff

definitely docu-kino though

Making out Trump to be a mastermind was terrible.

The one before and the power of nightmares were pure kino though

yeah bitter lake > hypernormalisation

i still like both though, especially the soundtracks

>his campaign had more in common with professional wrestling storylines than kgb information-control spook stuff

I agree with you up to a point, but at the same time I think that you're not giving Trump enough credit. He did know what he was doing, even if it wasn't as sophisticated as Curtis is trying to make out.

Are there any other docs like his? Not so much "red pill" shit, but just things of geopolitical interest.

The way he tied ISIS in at the end of Bitter Lake was really effective.

*landscape shot*
*burial starts playing*
*brian eno starts playing*
*trent reznor starts playing*
*helvetica title*
*4:3 footage*

Hypernormalisation is an extended version of Bitter Lake with a bit more of cyberpunk.

Would prefer he focused on other themes for a change

>"This is a story of how the world became a toy for the banks, without anyone realising why."
>"In Baghdad in 1954, there was a meeting between two local councillors"
>Insert more completely mental connections

There was a piece of music that played during or just after one of the Gaddafi interviews that mesmerised me, can't find it for the life of me thought. Maddening.

People get on at him for his stylised way of doing thing, but I never really hear a good reason why it's meant to be bad.

right, it wasn't intended as a criticism of trump. professional wrestling (and reality TV generally) appeals to millions of people, yet it's almost ignored by the political and journalist class. it was genius of trump to use precisely those narrative techniques his supporters would understand but his enemies wouldn't.

>but one man thought differently

I think a part of the problem that the "elite" are finding is that the world has fundamentally changed in how it consumes media. It used to be that you could get votes regardless, and people would vote out of tribalism. That's dying off, especially now that there's the internet and other things like it.

Basically, voters are actually more aware of the divide there is between them and the people they're voting for. That's a problem for most politicians, because they don't actually know how to be down to earth and appeal to the regular classes. They live in a different world.

Well, that and the fact that politicians (particularly on the left) are incredibly preachy and unpleasant.

youtube.com/watch?v=bWIkqEnVG8I

I love Curtis but fucking kek

>tfw I really really really really really want to work in some sort of global politics

All of the shit in his documentaries just makes me feel like that's what I want to be doing. Pulling strings and fucking things up.

kek read it in his voice.

Because it's using entertainment techniques to seduce the viewer into swallowing generalizing, totalizing accounts that are exactly the kind of thing his work is purportedly intended to deconstruct. The implicit hipness or sophistication of the montages and associations may lead the viewer to accept or endorse rather than analyse and question his theses. A witty music/clip bridging sequence is to him what an expensive suit and sharp haircut is for an anchorman. He's no Peter Watkins.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ph2KMKr5YSw

They Live is much more truthful.

>tfw I thought this was an actual quote.

This is a good point, how seriously would anyone take him if his stuff looked like this?

hes garbage for people that think post modernism and relativism are legit and not complete scams eaten up by retards who like pretty things

I like Curtis' other films, but he was quite wrong about brexit at least. People didn't vote for Brexit because they were scared of terrorists, they voted for it because they no longer trusted their leaders. Weird how he got that wrong, since he brings up a lack of trust in government earlier in the film.

>Glasses of pure ideology

It was made during Brexit fever. I think a lot of people were still reeling from the decision and weren't sure why it happened really.

Similar to Trump really. Everyone was so surprised that they didn't actually start to consider why it happened until it was already over.

>Missing the point that hard
I think it's interesting that people triggered by Adam Curtis so rarely seem to understand what he is even saying.

Yeah I gave him a pass since he was probably too close to the issue to judge it rationally.

I've seen this before and it is still fucking amazing.

>People get on at him for his stylised way of doing thing, but I never really hear a good reason why it's meant to be bad.

because if you paid the tiniest bit of attention, you would notice his arguement is just a rambling mess of conspiracy theory level dog shit where nothing is substantiated

fear of satan or pye corner audio probably

his films unravel like a front page reddit thread

You know he was wrong about Brexit because you were there and paying attention. What if he's just as wrong about the things you weren't present to witness? He provides convincing narratives that are so different in their emphases and details that we often overlook how close to received neoliberal opinion his essential assumptions are.

>mainstream documentaries
if it's not about nature it's shit

>substantiated
Ya dun goofed, user

...where it all started, small middle eastern country
>establishing shot of deserts
America was doomed
>shows stock footage of a nuclear bomb test
One thing they forgot, women
>shows stock footage of 1950s housewives
The bankers now owned everything
>scenes of money being printed

This is gold.
I like Adam Curtis docs for aesthetic purposes, but this is some exemplary parody.

>Clint Mansell

This dude must be rich based on royalties alone

Post your favorite segment of CurtisKino

youtu.be/eJ3RzGoQC4s?t=2h18m14s

Damn embed fails - go to the 2h18m14s mark

Bitter Lake was a masterpiece

All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace is probably my favourite documentary ever

This is the story of big guys
>CIA Agent in front of plane
Who shit posted daily
>meme
>of how BBC cucked Sup Forums
>BBC inserting in white vagina
For you

All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace is probably my favourite documentary ever
>documentary

documentary

wat

Please don't watch his movies if you don't already know the events he's talking about. Curtis always creates a narrative, usually out of thin air. It's a fun narrative and it's interesting to watch, but if you're a dum dum, for you it's also propaganda. Don't be a dum dum.

>documentary
documentary
>NIN plays

>All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace is a BBC television documentary series by filmmaker Adam Curtis.[1]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Watched_Over_by_Machines_of_Loving_Grace_(TV_series)

REKT YOU FUCKING CUNT

Hypernormalization was great until he went full sperg and started throwing a shadow over trump whilst ignoring the blatant corruption of the democrats and hillary which led to trump winning.

It was really out of the blue with a lot of baseless BBC narrative spun into it.

Really disappointed.

if I knew aboit the events why would I watch him?

He's sort of descended into a bizarre form of self-parody, but Bitter Lake and Hypernormalization are cool to put on in the background.

To see how he connects them in a bizzare attempt to push a weird narrative. It's fun. You really shouldn't be getting history lessons from that fucked up guy

I love It Felt Like a Kiss, such an brilliantly put together montage with a great soundtrack. I saw his Massive Attack v Adam Curtis show in Manchester a few years ago and would love to see that surface in some capacity, it was similarly awesome. In fact he did borrow segments from that for his most recent film, Hyper Normalisation. I remember this song from the live show and all the stuff about the Russian punks was in it.

wasn't that good desu, atmosphere and gadaffi bits were great but the arguments and the substance were shit, almost no interviews either

his older stuff is better

also he went on some far left podcast and talked more about hypernomalisation after trump won, quite interesting interview:

soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/episode-65-no-future-feat-adam-curtis-121216

>tribalism
>That's dying off,
>especially now that there's the internet

I can't remember which part it was, but there's a bit in The Power Of Nightmares mentioning how neoconservative analysts in the CIA used any metric that indicated Soviet decline as proof that the Soviets were actually stronger than they were, i.e. if Soviet air defenses were decaying or understaffed, this was obviously just a decoy to disguise the construction of a better air defense network

I love it, really comfy stuff.
Hardly seen anything he made that I didn't like.

How old is this gril now and does she know she's a meme?

>politicians (particularly on the left) are incredibly preachy

You mean preachy in a secular logical sense and not preachy in a right wing bible thumper praise Jesus and Israel sort of way, right?

All his docus have the same bias, you just didn't notice before because you didn't know enough about the things he was bullshitting about.

>secular logical

Secular is not inherently logical.

>yfw you realize Curtis watches videos of young girls dancing all the way through

I mean preachy in that they act like their own opinion is completely undisputable and like to remind everyone of it at all times.

>>>r/IAmVerySmart