Why are 70s movies so fucking slow?

why are 70s movies so fucking slow?
>Deer Hunter
>Taxi Driver
>The Conversation
>Rocky

This isn't a problem with any other period

Well, The Deer Hunter is shit, for one.

I'm very hesitant to call out huge movies like that shit but I didn't appreciate what Cimino was going for even though I get it. He always said the 1 hour wedding is what makes the movie, not what breaks it but I just don't have the attention span

They were made in a time where there was less distraction and more time to appreciate detail and buildup. This was just a much a problem in the 60s, in the 50s everyone was still on the trailinf ene of recovery from the war and not sure what length was acceptable, in the 40s there was was and supplies and people's time and attention were limited, in the 30s there was depression, and in the 20s and 10s people were still figuring out what cinema was even capable of. The 80s brought computers, the 90s cellphones and video games to the masses, and the 00s and 10s social media and social politics, and of that cacophony contributing to the autism and lack of attention in the common man, and it only worsens as time goes on.

Wow, trailing end*

People in the 70's didn't have internet or anything to do besides blowdry their hair (which consequently made their brains smaller and slower) so they didn't mind if the movies took a lot of time.

But that's not true, the farther you go to back the slower the films get.

Even the blockbusters of the 40s and 50s would be considered too slow and a drag by today standards.

Currently film has to adapt and compete with interactive and instantaneous accessibility of digital media. Remember that back in the day most people communicated in long distance by either writting letters or by phone. Things were slower, Now it's all way faster

Everybody was on drugs and thus hyper as fuck, so they slowed down the movies so even in a hyper induced drug fest the movie seemed like it ran at normal speed.

hmmm it's kinda the opposite of nowadays when we watch movies at 1.7x speed

They're art cinema. Watch some European films made the previous decade. That's the model.

New Hollywood Era was very much inspired by earlier European films that were very slow-burning and "naturalistic"

They're not all like that though, try some drive-in movies

Good theory, but before 1960 you have insufficient data to go on and are clearly kind of bluffing, I recommend you watch as many pre-1960s movies as you can.

Because it was back before the rampant plague of autism swept the nation

You clearly haven't watched a single russian/soviet movie in your life.

People hadn't had their attention span killed by smartphones yet

You're supposed to appreciate the visuals and the tension. Real kino isn't all about 'muh story'

Good question. I too have noticed this.

I liked it, though I was drunk and it was a long time ago when I saw it, so I don't remember much except the guy with the beard in the long coat coming back amidst a generally morose atmosphere.

>Even the blockbusters of the 40s and 50s
That's not really the rule.
I mean, a lot of the movies everyone remembers tend to drag on a bit, but they're generally a specific type of movie that was copied quite readily in the 1990s, not an era where movies dragged on and on like the 1970s.

70s were a pretty shit decade. You wanted excitement just step outside, someone will shoot you.

The only remarkable aspect of the 70s were the B-movies and exploitation films

If you are not baiting please end your life

I watch them all the time. White Christmas and Holiday Inn are my top two favorite Christmas movies. It's not so much bluffing as conjecture based on sensible knowledge of the events of the time.

you first

New Hollywood is garbage