youtube.com/watch?v=O3bfRBassAQ
youtube.com/watch?v=5YzE59Ti_tg
youtube.com/watch?v=QOWqH3v4UN4
youtube.com/watch?v=lKAomv9XFME
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

hella chill my dude xD

It's a meme. Only works for some songs

chill vibes lol dude weed lmao

literally everything ever recorded before the 50s was lo-fi.

Lo-fi isnt a genre. At this point its really just a recording practice, and when it works it really hits me. Im a total sucker for it.

>literally everything ever recorded before the 50s was lo-fi
Imagine being this much of a victim to anachronisms.

only good black metal is lo-fi

What does lo fi have to do with anarchy?
Im not even an anarchist.

nice word but you're a dumbass cause his point is valid

what does anarchy have to do with anachronisms?

love it as its really chill, but there are way too many try hard making shitty elevator music which makes it hard to find really good tunes

notice how blues music recorded from the 80s on is the worst...some styles need natural reverb & imperfect recording

I think of lofi not as actual low fidelity as much as music that hasn't been overly processed, a little more raw. and not crazy touched up either.
Stuff like Pavement, Archers of Loaf, or early Modest Mouse (their later stuff is kind of the opposite I guess)

It perfectly sums up what he did. To call the best recording equipment available in the 50s lo-fi is utter retardation and a historical inaccuracy. Why don't we call our current production lo-fi while we're at it? Sooner or later, it's going to sound dated, so why not call it lo-fi now? Obviously lo-fi is not a genre but definitely a thing: to purposefully make music sound vintage and dated when you it could be sparkly. The 50s made the best sound they could, therefore it's not lo-fi, it's just 50s/analogue production.

lol

The thing is though, audio recording had its greatest boom in the 60s thanks to things like multi track recording. Most 60s music may sound dated, and it always will, but it will never sound lo-fi, not in a hundred years. Lo-fi should be categorized as having noticeable surface noise and distorted sounds.

People will always remember White Lighht as being the lo fi album and Loaded as being the meticulously crafted album. Always. It doesnt matter how much technology advances, people will always look at it that way.
To think that todays recordings will be lo fi in the future is laughable. Theyll be dated, but not lo fi. Glad u liked my joke thouh.

Lo-fi isn't a genre. Specify what you mean, fuckwit.

prolly youtube.com/watch?v=8XiqrERZo_8

>Lo-fi (from the term "low fidelity") is an aesthetic of recorded music in which the sound quality is lower than the usual contemporary standards.
This definitely makes White Light lo-fi because the quality is way lower than the usual contemporary standards. That's it. The best recorded 50s albums aren't lo-fi if they were made with the best available equipment from that time.
So your statement that
>literally everything ever recorded before the 50s was lo-fi
is simply wrong.

>To think that todays recordings will be lo fi in the future is laughable. Theyll be dated, but not lo fi.
Exactly. I made a deliberately stupid statement using the same logic as you.

the fact is that it is lofi when compared to our new standard and no audio quality is not going to continue to improve at even close to the same rate / amount as it did from the 50s to now... average headphones/speakers might get better but the human ear ain't gon notice the difference between FLAC and whatever we develop next...

i see your point tho, but it comes down to a matter of opinion / how you're defining the term so i thought id unnecessarily call you out for unnecessarily calling him out

If the same fuzzy, distorted, cheap sound is on a Pavement EP or a Robert Johnson track, im still gonna refer to the aesthetic of it as lo fi. Or at least ill refer to Robert Johnson as "sounding lo fi."
At the end of the day it sounds like shit so who gives a fuck ;v)

I see. Although most definitions I see of lo-fi are either something like
>The converse term "lo-fi", does not necessarily mean "low fidelity", rather that the production ethic aims for "gritty authenticity" over perfect production.
and the previous one I've posted
>Lo-fi (from the term "low fidelity") is an aesthetic of recorded music in which the sound quality is lower than the usual contemporary standards.
and in similar vein. So I'd still keep arguing that you cannot call something lo-fi because it had poorer equipment (that was at that time of recording the best available nonetheless) just because time had moved on and your ear is used to much better recordings

That's fine then I guess.

>sounds like shit
Well yes and no, depends. Sometimes it adds to the music in my opinion haha

>if you like a thing it's because a trend made you like it

DUDE
ANIME GIRL WEARING HEADPHONES DOING HOMEWORK COVER ART
GOOD VIBES
T H E N I N E T I E S
5 SECOND BEAT LOOPED FOR 4 MINUTES
COMFY
HOMEWORK
HEADPHONE MIX
[LO-FI]

Stop conflating recording circumstances with genres.

It's a descriptive term... "lofi" rap.... "punk" rock... using an adjective you can define a subgenre, surprise surprise

wrong

lo fi = lo fidelity

you can have lo fi opera, or lo fi country or lo fi anything, it is not a genre in and of itself

this user is correct
what people call "lo-fi hip-hop" is in fact actually just a wave of Nujabes clones

that's what i just said? OP and i never called it a genre.. it's still a descriptive term tho such that we know what OP's talking about

no one talks about it as a defined singular genre but it can still be discussed in a similar way

DOn't understand the appraisal

>I can't wrap my head around the fact that the expression "lo-fi" can indicate different concepts based on the context where it is used

>and when it works it really hits me
Same.Pic related

literally who, no one is debating this

Is me liking this song a sign of terminal normalfaggotry?

youtube.com/watch?v=O3bfRBassAQ

Idk.It's not even lo-fi

Lund makes lo-fi though

lo-fi what?Rock?Pop?Folk?

ye

youtube.com/watch?v=5YzE59Ti_tg

Hip-hop and eletro jazz afaik

Doesn't sound like a lo fi recording to me
youtube.com/watch?v=QOWqH3v4UN4
youtube.com/watch?v=lKAomv9XFME

Millennial chill-hop radio kind of lo-fi is not low fidelity in the slightest.

Listen to pic related for some actual low fidelity hip-hop.

i like it
but only as background music while I do something else

So in 70 years everything recorded before 2020 will be lo-fi?

I know it's meme'd to the moon at this point but when done right it's extremely comfy and I love it.

>"duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude rec me lo-fi please"
>sure, listen to guided by voices, beat happening, sparklehorse
>"wtf is this shit? this sounds like the beatles on even more acid" give me lo-fi chill hip-hop beats dude
Fucking hell.

it's kind of overdone but it's okay

lofi is cutting off the high frequencies and not that much else. It might be associated with certain styles and aesthetics but alot of people use the term to cover their asses for shoddy production even if the audio fidelity is pretty high

Lo-fi is currently an excuse for low effort, unrelated to fidelity

Not him, but "lossless" flac files are probably the best its gonna get without running wires into your brain

god damn this nigga stupid

Attached: 1512419271242.png (645x729, 70K)

>thinking nujabes invented the lo-fi sound

Attached: 1513524314876.png (1280x720, 588K)

>all these people in the replies who immediately associate "lo-fi" with those shitty memeambient youtube channels

it doesnt matter how oxford defines a word. if everyone uses the word wrong then the definition must be updated.

Anyone who calls mediocre youtube meme boombap lo-fi and think of "lo-fi" as a standalone genre rather than an attitude should leave Sup Forums and kill himself immediately

Attached: 6018011+_4357a30c367007e6452d21a3f265011a.jpg (500x500, 5K)

>attitude
meant attribute

I prefer my albums to sound professionally recorded to be honest.

are you that fucking retarded?

he said people who make lo-fi hip-hop copy nujabes's style, not that he invented the genre

and it's true, lo-fi hip hop is just weaboo producers who know nujabes through that samurai anime

Its ok if its lo-fi due to extremely cheap recording and production, but if an artist goes out of their way to create a lo-fi sound while using high quality recording and production equipment then its objectively shit.

Lo-fi indie bands from the 80s like Television Personalities and Beat Happening are great.

Modern lo-fi is embarrassing, it's just a bunch of indie kids using a gimmicky recording technique to cover for their lack of talent and creativity.

DOOPPPPEEE

modern recording practices can actually make instruments sound MORE clear and polished than they are in real life, so no. Nothing professionally produced past the 60s will ever be seen as lo fi because of it.
Dated yes, lo fi no.

kek
google anachronisms faggot

>what is a shitpost

>I was only pretending guys.

Attached: solidarity reply.jpg (197x250, 10K)

Lo-fi should be made with the fact that it's being done in a lo-fi way being something that's addressed only after the fact, the notion of using whatever is at one's disposal as an ethic is justification enough for lo-fi
That said, during the process of its making, all decisions should be made to best handle the limitations of the music's disposal due to its quality, and it should be done in a way as to make any of its technical inferiorities have merits of their own.

There are a number of lo-fi gems out there but for the most part they all sound alike

Well is what you're talking about music who'a entire merit is based on them being lo-fi? Lo-fi should be made without consideration of the fact that what is being made will Ben labeled as lo-fi

that's lo-fi HIP HOP, lo-fi hip hop isn't the only lo-fi based genre u know.

Attached: lofi hip hop.png (408x408, 22K)

Kind of sad how overproduced it's become. Seems like an oxymoron, but people put way too much work into making things sound the most aesthetically pleasing kind of rough and raw. Like, I'm not purist, but it is a bit disheartening that a musical form meant to be accepting really is just a new set of standards.

I've listened to a shit ton of lo-fi hip hop over the past year on Youtube chat rooms. That's what it's for, background music. It's not supposed to be art.

Besides the jazzy chill ambience nujabes and lo-fi hip-hop don't really resemble each other
I'd equate more with j dilla, reason being the really hard hitting and lo-fi drum samples used in lo-fi hip hop

>a musical form meant to be accepting really is just a new set of standards
I'm kind of getting to the point that it seems like this pattern is consistent across all media

No, it's actually an aesthetic. ironic or not.

I've been listening to a bunch of the SALES EP recently, really love some of it.

Attached: 1280x1280.jpg (1280x1280, 244K)

*Sales LP