If they're so popular how come they've had no influence whatsoever? Hell I don't even think I've ever met a U2 fan

If they're so popular how come they've had no influence whatsoever? Hell I don't even think I've ever met a U2 fan.

Attached: Bono-reveals-his-health-scare-inspired-U2-album-660x400.jpg (660x400, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5Y1YFH9A3Bw
youtube.com/watch?v=G0QtzU5hYXk
youtube.com/watch?v=mrb5EpMbvEw
youtube.com/watch?v=5BjBHBD42CI
youtube.com/watch?v=JcDNilZbZg8
youtube.com/watch?v=nd_EYo96lmo
youtube.com/watch?v=LWz0JC7afNQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Clutch wrote a song about Bono and Edge was in It Might Get Loud.

They influenced every shit band today, from Radiohead to Coldplay

>Radiohead
>Arcade Fire
>Muse
>The Killers
>30 Seconds to Mars
>Kings of Leon
>Coldplay
>Mumford and Sons
>Imagine Dragons (kind of)
>Kanye West (Graduation)
>OneRepublic
>Snow Patrol
>Oasis
>Walk the Moon
>Linkin Park (Minutes to Midnight)
>Green Day (arena rock stuff post-2000)
>Broken Social Scene
>some Taylor Swift stuff
>James Mercer/The Shins
>Creed
>Garbage
>Depeche Mode in the 90s were big fans of U2 and both bands influenced each other
>Pearl Jam (kind of, but it's there- U2 + Springsteen gone grunge, imo)
>The Walkmen, Interpol and other post-punk revival bands are in part indebted to early U2 among other 80s post-punk acts
>both Father John Misty and Mac Demarco have covered U2's "Beautiful Day" recently
>Jack White/The White Stripes ("Achtung Baby" was his first favorite album and he covered one of the songs off of it for the "Great Gatsby" soundtrack)
>Trent Reznor was/is apparently a big fan and NIN covered and has remixed their songs before

Because U2 is an Echo and the Bunnymen cover band.

Not a single good band there

based

right, cos there's multiple good bands in there

U2 has GOAT influences though...

>Siouxshie and the Banshees, The Clash, Joy Division, Television, Patti Smith, Echo and the Bunnymen, Kraftwerk, Gang of Four, Patti Smith, Talking Heads, The Velvet Underground, Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Tangerine Dream, Sonic Youth, Neu!, Nine Inch Nails, KMFDM, Einsturzende Neubauten, Happy Mondays, My Bloody Valentine, David Bowie

the intro of where the streets have no name is better than whatever any of you little cunts listen to desu

From Joshua Tree on their sound was just them trying to sound like an American rock band. Also it's impossible for somebody to be as huge as they were from 1985 to the mid 2000s and not have influence on people.

nice b8 m8

you've never met my dad

actually i have ;)

Is this band ever going to get rehabilitated in the public eye?
Nirvana went from being cool to like to being very uncool to like to being cool to like again, Oasis went from being cool to like to being very uncool to like and are now in the process of becoming cool to like again.
Can U2 do the same? What would it take for that to happen?

another War or Joshua Tree

How did he turn into Robin Williams crossed with a middle aged Robin Thicke?

>In the late 1990s, while researching my biography of Captain Beefheart, I was amused by accounts of when Bono tried to lure the Captain out of retirement in the early ’80s. With typical dismissiveness Beefheart would disingenuously ask friends: “Man, who is this Bongo?” Beefheart had become ill and a complete recluse, and my requests to speak to him were all declined. Hence my horror, in 2002, when I saw the cover of MOJO’s April issue proclaim: “Beefheart Speaks… To Bono.” Bongo’s part in the phone conversation felt contrived, over-verbose, as if he was trying to match Beefheart’s own verbal facility. But even that offered scant comfort.

Bubbleboy, U2 fans are all parents who think the comments are the worst part of the internet

Attached: 362F6D6A-D325-4960-BECB-6376546BD90B.jpg (1536x864, 150K)

How do you go from having the likes of This Heat, The Fall, Pixies and Einsturzende Neubauten as your openers and putting out stuff like this...

youtube.com/watch?v=5Y1YFH9A3Bw
youtube.com/watch?v=G0QtzU5hYXk
youtube.com/watch?v=mrb5EpMbvEw

...to touring with The Black Eyed Peas, Kanye West and Kings Of Leon and putting out stuff like this?

youtube.com/watch?v=5BjBHBD42CI
youtube.com/watch?v=JcDNilZbZg8
youtube.com/watch?v=nd_EYo96lmo

Bono's vocal performance on Red Hill Mining Town is amazing desu.

Bono’s epic and passionate vocal performances werent that influential in hindsight but it does make the hair on you’re neck stand up.

The real influence of the band comes with The Edges Guitar tone and arpeggios, and times when Brian Eno was working production and made their music a bit atmospheric was something that inspired tons of bands

The Edge ripped of Keith Levene and Will Sergeant

>Keith Levene

He openly cited Levene as an influence but nah, Edge is much more minimalistic. The influence is heard more in his tone than in his actual playing.

>Will Sergeant

U2 formed several years before the Bunnymen and Sergeant's playing has very little in common with The Edge's playing.

It will never happen. Not even U Talkin' U2 To Me could save them.

>tfw watching videos of the zoo tv tour brings out the little bit of "born in the wrong generation" in me

>U2 ripped of Echo and the Bunnymen
Yet both released their debuts in 1980 and War and Porcupine (the closest they sounded to each other) are both 83

The main similarity is in the vocal styles of Echo and U2. But even then, U2 still predate Echo. And frankly Bono's voice evolved into something much different by the height of their fame.

I remember around the time Kid A was released. Read an interview by Thom - he explained how the band was dealing with the success of OK Computer and how to build on that success. Said he had a long chat with Bono about how U2 took themselves to the next level, and then decided, fuck that bullshit, lets just become an obscure art rock band. So, in a way, U2 influenced every Radiohead record from Kid A onwards.

>The main similarity is in the vocal styles of Echo and U2
Weren't both trying to copy Siouxsie?

But realistically they probably also took a cue from U2's electronic experimentation in the 90s while they were massively successful and realized they too could pretty much do what every they wanted at this point now that they had an established audience.

youtube.com/watch?v=LWz0JC7afNQ

Even my mom thought this sounded like Bono singing

>youtube.com/watch?v=mrb5EpMbvEw

holy shit. i love u2 but bono singing during the award speech made me cringe so fucking hard.

FUCK U2