Literally says the name of the movie

>literally says the name of the movie

Fucking dropped, I just watched and loved every minute of it.

I liked it ok but the title drop cliche was cringe, i shut it off shortly after

>loved every minute of it.

Loved every minute of what? Generic by the book gumshoe detective trash with the oh so stunning, deconstructive twist of lol incest and an ending literally thought up on the spot by the director? That's what you like?

Why?

Literally dropped it right after that shit

t. a savage

I figured this was the movie that set the standard of all of those generic tropes, no?

Shit bored me to fucking hell but I figured that's only because it was a precursor to the cliches of the genre. Literally >muh working class male fantasy

>deconstructive

What did you mean by this?

>they literally say Chinatown earlier than the ending

I just wanted to see if anyone actually paid attention and would point it out to me.

It's a nearly flawless movie. John Huston's character is such a creep /ourguy/?

No, it's literally just using 30+ year old detective cliches. Why you ask?
I say deconstructive because that's the entire, stupid thinking behind this piece of shit. The whole point of the movie is, okay what if we do the whole detective thing, BUT then it turns out that the girl is actually an incest child! That's the entire point of the movie, every painfully glacial dreary scene is to get to this epic twist, which of course by today's standards doesn't seem like that huge of a twist, but the idea was you wouldn't except to see such an thing in a 40s gumshoe movie.

Nowadays, with that context removed, it's just a boring shitty movie for self-proclaimed cinephiles to wank over the incredible """""art""""" of it all

>look how contrarian i am guyz!
>am i cool yet?

see

>I say deconstructive because [...] The whole point of the movie is, okay what if we do the whole detective thing, BUT then it turns out that the girl is actually an incest child!

I fail to see how that's a deconstruction, user. Nothing personal, that word just gets thrown around a lot.

I use the term lightly, in that yes it's not really a deconstruction, only in the vague sense that they use the tropes of 40s detective movies and give them slightly new context, but yes I should have used a better word.

You are literally retarded.

Describing what happens in the movie and just throwing adjectives like "shitty" before everything isn't valid criticism.

s gumshoe movie

sophomoric edginess

>with that context removed, it's just a boring shitty movie
You really shouldn't consider these "classics" outside of their context. Everything in a field of art is considered relative to what came before it.

Anyway, it's still works on a lot of levels and if you think it doesn't you're just a contrarian

You're welcome for the additional (you)

Making a generic detective movie and adding nothing except a dumb twist doesn't make a good movie. The burden is literally on you to explain why it's a good movie, which is what I asked for in my first post. Will I get an answer? Lol no

Not sure if contrarian...

>You really shouldn't consider these "classics" outside of their context

Is that even possible? I mean yes, in a literary sense of course it is, but if I'm watching the film, I can't personally appreciate it the same as I would in that context

I wish someone would post their opinion so I actually had something to be contrarian to, apart from "never criticize a classic film"

I got it senpai

>OP states I loved every minute of it

That's an opinion and you're just going full sperg at this point.

Why the fuck do you insist on claiming the whole movie is about the incest baby? It's like you never actually saw the fucking thing but heard about the "twist" and decided the movie was garbage.
Serious question. Are you 12 years old?

>Is that even possible?
Yeah, it's possible if the film has enough going for it. It's harder the less you know about the context and history, and some of these films depend on context and history (Chinatown isn't one imo, but whatever). Battleship Potemkin was pretty difficult for me to "get into" for example.

You just have to put yourself into the time and place, same as you have to do for any movie. It requires more conscious effort sometimes, but it's the same process.

The OST of this film is GOAT, it's a comfy film too despite it being filled with fucked up shit.

I asked why he loved it, just curious, and still waiting, sorry my bulletproof opinion coincidentally has flustered everyone's butts and garnered me a heap of (You)s
In movies, scenes have purposes. Yes, you can enjoy any part of a movie on it's own merits, but there really isn't much to Chinatown in that sense, not to me at least. It's not exactly badly done, but I don't find any point or purpose in a generic detective movie with nothing interesting, unique or redeeming about it. I only mention the incest plot because that was the unique, different part of the movie, at the time at least. The moment when the rug was pulled out from under you. You don't see this at all, at least not in the same way, because it's infinitely less of a shock. Yes it's still a twist, but not in the same unexpected way it was back then. Same with the ending. As >78600561 points out, when I remove this cultural context, the movie becomes pointless and boring to me, dull cliche after dull cliche. I'm sure I would have loved seeing it back in the 70s, but I didn't.

Stick to capeshit.

Is it a problem I just liked it? I'm admittedly new to private dick stories and only just recently got into the genre with The Big Sleep.

>Is it a problem I just liked it
No just curious as to the film's merits
Holy shit, did you get that from reddit? Stealing it btw

>when I remove this cultural context, the movie becomes pointless and boring to me, dull cliche after dull cliche
It's easy to become a victim of cynicism.

If you are unable or unwilling to open yourself up to these old films, you will never reach a strong understanding of the art. Attack them for their flaws, but on your first watch, give them the 50-odd year benefit of the doubt that they deserve.

Just my opinion

Why are you curious of its merits if you've already seen it?

Because it has none yet people claim it does

I really hope you post in every thread asking what makes a movie good because I'm vicariously enjoying the (You)s you're getting so whatever its your opinion man.

Chinatown as a movie is better than many noirs around. I feel like it takes what 40s gumshoe movies were and combines it with a modern style of direction(at least for that time). This results in something that though not original, it feels really good. That's what I like about it. It takes the best elements of the genre (and it really does take them and utilize them, e.g. dialogue, writing, characters). Not for a single moment as a modern viewer did I feel the twist being about incest was more significant than the twist itself, but I still liked it. It made me love the genre even more, though it chronologically doesn't belong in it.

Thank you, if I ever watch it again I'll think about what you had to say and take it into consideration