What's the point of quidditch being a team game when the result is decided by one player?

What's the point of quidditch being a team game when the result is decided by one player?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quidditch_(sport)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>result is decided by one player
But its not.

You mean like european soccer MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI MESSI

you realize its a book series right?
about wizards right?
written by a woman right?

its not

there were many described cases where someone would catch the snitch but his team would still lose

that said quidditch is a dumb sport and harry potter is the dullest franchise

Sounds pretty dull

this user had a bad childhood

If a team leads the other team by 150 points they will still win even if they don't get the snitch.

post it

What's the point of playing muggle quidditch when it's just running around with a stick between your legs?

JK Rowling and her die-hard fans just can't into sports.

like the time when argentina won the world cup with messi? or when portushit won the finals last year without ronaldo?

I guess catching the Snitch was supposed to be very hard and rare event but Potter gets it every time because he's a Mary Sue

to teach the kids how unfair life is

i had a great childhood but im having a pretty below average adulthood so far

Never really understood that one either, they're caring so much about 10 points scored with the quaffle and beating the shit out of people with the bludgers when all it takes to win the match is to catch the golden snitch. On top of that, the golden snitch is worth like 150 points; what if the opposing team scores 20 times with the Quaffle and the other team catches the snitch? I never understood that either

ah, so this must be the original image

wait, you're telling me something like that actually exists?

Did you honestly expect logic in a made up sport written by a woman who created one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises? Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

yes

its on youtube

dont watch it, its awful and embarrassing for everyone involved, including you

Yea, there are a bunch of weirdos who came up with the idea to introduce it as a real sport, and also decided it would be a great idea to run around on a field with a broomstick between one's legs

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quidditch_(sport)

Apparently they even have international tournaments now. Last time I checked it was just a goofy sport for nerdy colleges. I grew up loving the HP books and even I think these people are fags.

yeah it's pretty dumb, almost any modification of this makes it better

> the snitch is worth less (even half as much)
or
> the team with the most wins so far starts 150 points behind
or
> the game has a set time, the snitch is released multiple times
or
> the snitch is worth nothing and simply ends the game
or
> bludgers and keepers also accumulate points
or
> points are awarded for tricks and showmanship
or
> you have to hold onto it for 60 seconds for it to end the game, the snitch catching team can't score during this time. Releasing the snitch is an option if your team will be behind.

There's no "i" in "team", however, there IS an "i" in "pie". Everyone has to do their part. One cannot simply expect a superstar player to beat the defence of the entire opponent team.

Sadly, one wishes one could say the same about the team that put together one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

It could have had merit if you made it like old-style Lacrosse or Hurling where you beat your opponents with your stick, to explain why you're running around with a stick. But no they just went full retard.

neat intro

there he is

>What's the point of quidditch being a team game when the result is decided by one player?

A very good question. Why doesn't quidditch make any sense?

Because the book was written by a woman.

>decided by one player?
its not supposed to be, they show it as proof of how good x player is.

yeah in the game I had moments were I had to catch the snitch 2 times to win because team AI sucked

Quiddich is the single most perfect example of "I know this is stupid but I'll fix it later. No, I don't need to write a note to remind myself, I'll definitely remember to do it before I mail the manuscript to my agent." in literature.

There is at least a tiny bit of an explanation for why it seems so retardedly easy to win for Harry: it's school-level playing.

If we were playing basketball or soccer at my school we had about three different guys depending on the sport who, if put on the same team, would easily win the game with double the score or something. Because the rest were just doing it for fun. That shit doesn't happen on professional teams because they're all good players. And we just ignored some rules because we didn't think them fun. So in an actual national quidditch match with professional teams there'd probably be much more scoring, and the gold ball thing would probably be a lot harder to catch, meaning that once it was caught it had less meaning.

But Rowling doesn't seem to know enough about sports to know she has to actually point that shit out to the reader, instead of making it seem like Harry's a world-class golden-ball-catcher from birth in a game where everything hinges on the ball being caught.

What the hell are you talking about?
The game literally doesn't end unless you catch the snitch.

Honestly, the time limit version makes it so much better.

so if the other team leads by 160 points and you have a chance to catch the snitch just don't catch it

block the other guy from catching it

but that was too deep a concept for Rowling

Literally one match in the entire quidditch world cup had this case. Fuck off.

it happened in the books you idiot, krum caught the snitch but they lost anyway.

>but that was too deep a concept for Rowling

But they do do that... There's plenty to deride Rowling for without having to ignore things that are actually mentioned in the books. The whole concept of the game is shit to begin with.

post a clip proving that. game ends when 1 side gets to like 350 points or time runs out. snitch is a last minute trump card that can give your team 150 points and most likely win you the game

To all the people thinking 'ackshually, you can win without the snitch, just like in that one case in Goblet of Fire', that was a ridiculously contrived situation and can only happen if the seeker who catches the snitch is willing to accept defeat. Most of the time the snitch is caught long before either side has even scored 150 points, let alone taken a 150 point lead.

was harry..... a mary sue?

Most games end without the snitch ever being caught. Harry is just a seeking savant.
I dated a "professional" quidditch player for a few years. She had to "retire" because she somehow broke her collar bone and jaw(in separate instances) playing it.

>But they do do that
The only time that a team caught the snitch and lost was in book 4 and he caught the snitch when they were exactly 160 points behind

there is not single incident of a seeker trying to hold off on catching a snitch and the concept isn't even touched upon

It was the only game of the entire World Cup to end that way, and Krum should have waited for his team to score once before he caught it. How could there even be a 15 goal difference between two teams that are the best in the world? Why would this ever happen?

I don't know. yes, he is a typical kids book hero who has token tragedy but is overall minted

It's been like 15 years ago since I read that book, no need to get all passive-agressive there

>Krum should have waited for his team to score once before he caught it.

The reason he caught it was because his team was being completely humiliated on the field. He couldn't just wait because then they would have gotten an even bigger lead. He thought it better to just end the game with only a small score-difference and with his team being the snitch-catchers than it would be to prolong it and end up with a 200-score difference.

It's like the difference between teams who go all out on offence when they're down one point near the end of the game, risking to end up down even more, versus the teams who keep their defence even to make sure they don't get completely humiliated chasing the equaliser.

> Gets a constant free pass from Dumbledore for being special/chosen one
> Best Quiditch player in Hogwarts
> Saves the world several times
> Has a physical abnormality that earns him respect without him doing anything
> Rich beyond his means
> Knows snake language
> Shares a special bond with the gryffindor
> Is related to everyone important
yes

>"professional" quidditch player

Was hard trying to appear supportive and enthusiastic for something so fucking pathetic?

>that intro

I love you

based