Fantastic beasts

What did you think?

It was the movie that finally made me gay for Eddie Redmayne

Pretty good autism flick, nothing special.

>I didnt like the lead actor
>I didnt like how they did the CGI, will age like milk
>I didnt like how the harry potter lore was mangled and how it didnt have any of the same feels
>I didnt like the meme president
>I didnt like how this all felt like they just wanted to do a harry potter movie with a big hollywood cast
>I didnt like the bad execution of the 30s setting
>I didnt like the obvious plot

Worthless autistic trash, just like you

>I didnt like how this all felt like they just wanted to do a harry potter movie with a big hollywood cast

But it barely had anything to do with HP.

Trash just like the rest of the Harry Potter series.

First movie is top cozy tho

Lets add that to my list:

>I didnt like how this movie barely had anything to do with Harry Potter.

I was enjoying it for the straight forward wizarding adventure it was in the beginning of the movie, where a weird magic animal conservationist and his accidental goofy human sidekick track down some crazy creatures loose in 1920s New York while trying to not stir up too much trouble.

But then suddenly Eddie Redmayne walks around his magic zoo and reveals that he also, for no reason, keeps concentrated evil extracted from a little girl. Just so the movie can shove the enjoyable story in the movie together with the obvious and retarded WE HAVE TO SAVE THE WHOLE WIZARDING WORLD franchise-building garbage.

>I didnt like the lead actor
he had strange mannerisms and a face that looked like it would crumble at a touch. Im not sure if that was his character or what.
>I didnt like the obvious plot
I did not see the twist coming. I did not get why grindelwald kept giving himself away, I mean even if you say its his character it would be strange for someone so short sighted and unskilled in manipulation to get so far

>and a face that looked like it would crumble at a touch

What does that mean?

Somehow managed to make a world that's supposed to be magical, fun and ridiculous so dull and boring.

I don't know it looked brittle, like carrot tops skin layered 3-5 times.

Very underwhelming. It just doesn't have the wonder of the other Harry Potter movies, plus it suffers from the same problems that all prequels have in that we basically know where it's all going to go.

Looked fine to me. If anything, he looks abnormally young for a 35 year old.

>Very underwhelming. It just doesn't have the wonder of the other Harry Potter movie
are you sure you are not just old?
>the same problems that all prequels have in that we basically know where it's all going to go.
its not contacted in anyway. its like say you can't watch a 15 century movie because you know where its going

Couldn't stand it.

The "Fantastic" beasts were the worst part. None of them were creative or interesting. Rather pitiful, especially considering what we've seen before. Every fucking actual HP movie is a better "fantastic beasts" movie than the one dedicated to "fantastic beasts".

Plot was weird, couldn't really follow it or get invested despite it being so simple.

I don't know, I recall noticing it when I watched it

magic rhino, jew platypus, and bird that changes size were all pretty fantastic

Hated harry potter but i liked this flick.

"Jew Platypus" was introduced in the main HP books so despite being alright I don't rate it.

The snake-bird thing was okay, I guess, but only really because I thought it looked like some Meso-American dragon.

Magic Rhino, like several other beasts, looked more like background fauna in Star Wars than a HP creature. Disappointing.

>dull

Yates has been doing this since movie 5, though. At least this movie wasnt pitch black like DH.

Why did not they have a mind reader in school?

>a face that looked like it would crumble at a touch

This honestly sounds like something a serial rapist would say

Mind reading is supposed to be an art, not a condition.

>he had strange mannerisms

He was meant to be autistic and awkward with people, hence why he's more comfortable around animals.

>a face that looked like it would crumble at a touch

What, like cry easily?

6/10 movie

Would have been a 9/10 if they had cut out of the part where Redmayne gives a tour of his zoo for 1 hour to the muggle and used it to develop the story or something.

worse than any of the potter movies but not terrible

That was the best fucking part, though

>worse than any of the potter movies

No.

Im not saying it looks like it can't take pain. Im saying it looks caked in makeup
>He was meant to be autistic
I did wonder about it but I have not read anything beyond potter books so I did not really know anything about his character. most of the stuff was easy to read from context but overall he seemed to happy to be a autistic and militant animal lover

why, are you easily dazzled by visuals
I wanted him to have dementors in that case and use them in the final battle but I guess the movie is about semi losers who could not even save 1 kid

Autistic people are incapable of happiness? He was only happy when he was sperging about animals

This

>but overall he seemed to happy to be a autistic

Plenty of autists are happy though, what kind of reasoning is this?

Half Blood Prince was shit and you know it. Both the book and film

Pros:

-Redmeme was pretty good and a refreshingly shy protagonist. His personality makes sense and I know a lot of animal handlers who act the same as him

-the platypus was good. So was the stick. The zapdos looked pretty weird at times but in the case it looked nice

-more cohesive than your average harry potter movie

-cast chemistry was good

-great music

-the ending stuck with me and i think they hit the emotional beats pretty well

Cons:

-johnny depp

-ezra miller shouldve been cut from the film entirely. You have fat muggle and sperg goofing around then suddenly cut to child abuse. His acting was awful

-magic is still just them shooting sparks at each other. I liked the umbrella spell and wish we couldve seen more of that

-didnt like the brown haired girl too much

Overall a comfy watch

>-didnt like the brown haired girl too much

Yeah, she was awful and has no charisma.

It's not just like the rest of the Harry Potter series.
It's a awful spin off of a mediocre at best series.

Dull

>more cohesive than your average harry potter movie
What the fuck are you on about?
It's two unrelated plots forced together in a fucking mess of a film.

This one actually has a cute lead though, therefore it's better than HP

eh , if they instead went and did a different school where they teach magic and remove the edgy antagonist and instead be about actually expanding the lore and having adventures like harry potter 1 they would have a hit. instead they decided to make this mess.

mediocre movie with an awful ending. watching Eddie Redmayne and the fat bloke dicking about in central park was fun though.

They didnt leave out vital information from the books since there is no book to adapt from. A lot of important plotpoints in the HP movies were literally ignored because they assumed everyone read the books

>hurr durr we need more of the same exact thing
This is literally the worst fucking idea ive ever heard. Do you work for disney by any chance? Kys

Was a shit film overall but had enough stuff in it to keep me entertained throughout.

Story is trash, pacing is trash, villain is trash and weirdly convoluted for a Harry Potter film. Not to mention the stupidly ham fisted social commentary.

Speakeasy scene was great though and the baker dude was entertaining throughout.

I didn't like that it was just doctor who: Harry Potter edition

ughhhhhhh

guys

wheres the pasta????

>implying the mafia studios that rule the cinema are going to try and risk it
also the only movie that did that stuff was harry potter 1, the rest just went downhill because of the edgy antagonist.

>Eddie Redmayne and the fat bloke dicking about
I wish the fat guy dicked redmayne instead

I've never found autism so charming before.

Newt a qt.

Is that the guy who was in les Miserablersles

>guy

Redmeme is female.

dont care

answer question instead

yes, that is marius from les mis

>I did not see the twist coming.

You must be legit autistic or a child to not see that coming.

thank you

Admittedly this film could've been better, but it also could've been a lot worse. It was entertaining enough and pretty much met its end goal which was to separate itself from HP while introducing its own brand of characters and establishing a different story.

However, I feel like they should've gone totally off grid in terms of connection to Harry Potter because there's that one little pesky string connecting the two that JKR refuses to cut. They should've gone with a different director in order to truly make it fresh, and they should not have used the climax as a sequel hook to remind us that in the end this is going to be all about Dumbledore anyway. This film could've been used to capture a whole new audience for HP but in the end they still played it safe by depicting magic the same way that everyone's tired of (flashing lights and shit) and clumsily tying Newt to the eventual first wizarding war.

Still, I was pleasantly surprised to find that for the most part, the film can stand perfectly well on its own and the characters didnt seem like rehashes of the HP ones. There were no shitty winkwinknudgenudge moments that pissed me off and nothing felt overused or overdone.

One aspect I really enjoyed was that it's one of the few films this year that managed to get its characters to connect properly in such a short period of time. Even though Newt and Jacob knew each other for a couple of days, you could feel their closeness by the end because their relationship was properly built up and got ample time to develop.

I liked that there was a muggle character and seeing American wizarding society was pretty cool. Ultimately though this movie gets bogged down by the boring Credence plot, but I do think the sequels will be more consistent since JKR was basically just "stretching her legs" (to borrow a term from someone in particular) and it will be fun to see what the hell she foreshadowed here that we're going to find out about in the next films.

About what I'd expect from a spinoff of one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

>risk it

there's no risk there faggot, your idea is literally what TFA is to ANH.

mmm really made me think.

the only thing i actually want is a movie series of magic. and when i said that the cinema mafia wouldn't risk it i meant that other than this idea they wont make a movie like it.

That brunette wizard cop was a cutie

It didnt offend me. It had somewhat charming moments, but it was overall stupid. Let's just mash together some stuff people member from the Harry Potter series and build it around some cute creatures. It was very well made, but the story and the characters didn't make much sense. Some of the stuff happening was nonsense in a way, when you cant say 'its magic, deal with it'. That Johnny Depp twist for example was total bullshit. And how about that chair of death, huh?

She's hideous though.

what about the characters didnt make sense?

>Johnny Depp

Yeah I was surprised at that. Like I get why they needed a disguise but wow, why Johnny Depp?

Muggleguy was pretty good as a side character.

Who knew the fat guy would be one of the better highlights of the spinoff.

I do hope he returns even as a cameo should he and the sister marry.

Yeah he was great. And it's already confirmed that Jacob is coming back.

Makes me wonder why they gave him all the emotional scenes in the end, they even gave the auror chick some emotional shit in her execution scene but with Newt they seemed to be avoiding revealing anything about him on purpose which was frustrating.

I guess theyre saving that for the sequels, you just know he's going to go batshit when all his creatures are murdered in front of his eyes. if JKR killed hedwig after all

So how dark is the sequels gonna be? I'd rather have a magical adventure than another shadow demon enemy.

I wonder if Credence's little sister will come back.

So much this.

Was liking it for having nothing to do with saving the world.

Did Jacob remember her in the end?

It has been a year so I forgot the story, what plot twist?

i support this message eventho im a harry potter fan

The asspull had me rolling my eyes.

Though then again I didn't know back then that it was going to be a franchise.

I liked it. Surprisingly dark at times. Didn't realise Ezra Miller's character was going to be a full autismo, I just assumed he was Farrell's partner before I'd watched it. The blonde lady made my peanus hard.

you're late ! baka !

Plot twists were
-Collin Ferrel was the escaped criminal
-Credence was the host and not the little girl that the cameras kept hinting at

>>I didnt like how the harry potter lore was mangled and how it didnt have any of the same feels
>>I didnt like the bad execution of the 30s setting

These desu

The movie feels like it could have taken place in any city at any time and it wouldn't have made a difference

Better than the Potter films considerably. Nothing amazing, but good for what it is
(let's ignore the hypocrisy of a black female president in 1920s America advocating for segregation between wizards and muggles)

Well it was based in the HP timeline so it makes sense that it was close to it.

Both of those are obvious af.
I did hope that Johnny Depp was a red herring that didn't appear at all just to fuck with people

He had one of the dullest facial features in the history of faces.

>black female muslim president is shown to be an incompetent, intolerant trigger-happy leader who doesn't believe in standing your ground

what did JKR mean by this???

also forgot:
-newt is male

You mean the cutest?

He's straight as a lion.

nothing about Redmayne's face is dull, not with those lips, eyes, and freckles.

Jacob probably had a memory pop in her head but it's ambiguous as fuck. I think he just fell in love all over again and thought it was dejavu

I actually genuinely enjoyed this film more than Rogue One.

It was a tie for me. I enjoyed Rogue-One mostly because of how much I loathed The Force Awakens.

I wouldn't mind seeing him get knotted desu, no homo.

it's gonna slowly move toward grindelwald v dumbledore, and jkr even mentioned going into ww2. take note that the sisters are jewish.

>tfw goldsteins are thrown in concentration camps for being kikes, jacob for being fat and newt for being an autistic tranny fag

Is there gonna be a godzilla-tier beast that will unleash an atomic blast at nippon witches?

> I know what of animal handlers that I just like him

Really? You know a lot of animal handlers?

Loads of people fucked your mom.

I live in san diego so obviously.

theyre a weird bunch and it was pleasantly surprising to see redmeme mimic them so well.

are any of them as cute as he is?

they were a lot more muscular. he shouldve worked out more.

>this dumpy thing that looks exactly like her father
>cute

No