Daily reminder that Argentina got RAMPED

Daily reminder that Argentina got RAMPED

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falklands_War#Position_of_third_party_countries
twitter.com/AnonBabble

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAJJJ

PIRATA

willy poo

Didn't the french give brits the killswitch of the warship they sold ArgantINO ?

DEATH TO BRITAIN

No aircraft combat from carrier to carrier took place, and the Belgrano was sunk by a nuclear sub. If anything the royal navy was getting wrecked by the air force, but a bunch of the sorties operated from the continent, not from the carrier anyways.

you were supposed to ship Exocet missiles, but stopped the deal when the war started, so France ended up shipping I think less than half of them, and refused to share the software level stuff that was necesary for the missiles to operate. The technicians at the Air Force figured it out anyways

AAAAAAAAAAAAAJ

LAS

Cheers my white dude, TIL

son argentinas.-

Nice

Reminder that Argentina did hit Invincible with an Exocet so it had to return to port backwards so nobody could see the hole.

the one sunken cruiser was actually your ship built in ww2 tho
CL-46 USS Phoenix

I think we did pretty well considering mainland britain is 13,000 kilometres away from the falklands

not a argument

nice

The Americans supported Argentina in that war. If they hadn't spazzed out they would probably have jurisdiction over the islands today.

The thing I always find funny about the Falkands War is that the British could've activated Article 5 of NATO, and article 42 of the EU, and actually raped Argentina. But instead they were like fuck it, and did all by themselves.

>be me, flag collector
>waiting for falklander to arrive
>tbc hopefully

>The Americans supported Argentina in that war.
Only by word at the beggining because lmao, puppet dictatorship fighting gommies. They actually gave Britain some satellite intel during it

Yeah, quite a few historians I've read all agree that the invasion was half assed, more with the hopes of the "crumbling British Empire" just saying "meh, fuck it, you can have it", than actually expecting a big fight

PIRATES AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAJ

Dude, America betrayed the British lmao.

The United States was concerned by the prospect of Argentina turning to the Soviet Union for support,[30] and initially tried to mediate an end to the conflict. However, when Argentina refused the U.S. peace overtures, U.S. Secretary of State Alexander Haig announced that the United States would prohibit arms sales to Argentina and provide material support for British operations. Both Houses of the U.S. Congress passed resolutions supporting the U.S. action siding with the United Kingdom.[31]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falklands_War#Position_of_third_party_countries

And then they would have come out as the guys that asked for help to the biggest guys around to beat on a South American brain dead dictatorship. Also it could have dragged the USSR into it, seeing that most western countries were getting involved, they'd sure have loved to stirr some inner conflict on this side of the curtain.

>"crumbling British Empire" just saying "meh, fuck it, you can have it"
might have happened under different leadership

are mags

you.. Idiots!
we were the only ones who could stop the thing!

I don't get it.

The US actually had an arms embargo already, under Jimmy Carter, around the '76. Kissinger forgot to tell him the Junta were the good guys :^)

did you read it?

These are minutes from as late as April 30th, almost a calendar month after the invasion had begun. Haig and Kirkpatrick were driven into a corner because of the baffling obstinancy on the part of the junta (perhaps they simply didn't trust the Americans, who knows). But the historical record is quite clear on the State Department's pro-Argentine position. Only Bobby Inman on the NSC took exception.

y u no nuke Buenos Aires?

>tries to reason with a totalitarian dictatorship
>wtf, they aren't a deomcratical, pluralistic government with the wellbeing of the people in mind?!
One wonders how can someone like that become the dominating world power

>If anything the royal navy was getting wrecked by the air force
*blocks your path*

Sorry for being hopeless naive about things to the point where we repeat many of the same mistakes.

>jokes aside, do Brits actually believe that
kek

I don't get the RAMP jokes. I think they are fine since catapults can be a pain in the ass to develop.

>After hostilities broke out on 1 May 1982, the Argentine carrier attempted to launch a wave of A-4Q Skyhawk jets against the Royal Navy Task Force after her S-2 Trackers detected the British fleet. What would have been the first battle between aircraft carriers since World War II did not take place, as light winds prevented the heavily loaded jets from being launched.

Would have been the ultimate ramp vs catapult

>trying to deny that the Falklands gives Britain superpowers and that's the only reason you fought over it
nice try, MI6

>nice try, MI6

the eye of the public don't need to know this.
SAGE

Long live the queen desu

come home gurkha man

Reminder that Margaret Thatcher cut the royal navy's budget on the eve of the war, including plans to sell off the aircraft carriers and landing ships.
Reminder that this possibly kickstarted the war itself, since the removal of a Royal Navy vessel from the Falklands signalled that we didn't really care what happened.

Crazy to think if Glatieri could've held on until ~1983-4, we'd have either had to beg other countries for help or give up, since our carriers would be in Australia and India.

If only i could

I've read that the war was actually planned with that in mind, meant to take place like 9 months later, giving the Junta enought time to equip, improve the conscripts' training, finish all arms deals, and wait for the UK to cut funds.
But the '81 crisis was wrecking havoc, and the population that had turned a blind eye on the "communist hunting" were now starting to question the Junta. Also, legend says a scrap company won a bid to dismantle a couple of buildings in the south Georgia (or sandwich?) islands mid March. Turns out, the workers decided to raise an Argentinian flag and refused to take it down when asked by the British government. That escalated the conflict in no time, with both sides sending warships

hi

hope you've been singing god save the queen my nigga

didn't realize so many people died

>less than a thousand dead people
>on a "war" that took place just 40 years after Europe was littered with 80 million dead people
It was quite low intensity.

Feels good man

Fuck this country desu

i haven't read much about the conflict, i didn't realize there was actual combat
i thought that you guys took the islands, then when the british navy showed up and started to resist you backed off

are you the copypasta spammer

More or less, yeah. The Junta essentially sent a whole bunch of 18yo conscripts, with a few commando experienced units, with the hopes to overwhelm the Brits and for their government to give up. That made more sense than it sounds like, since they were cutting spending and were actually considering seceding the islands in the early 70s.
But then it was confirmed that the British government was also hungry for a nationalist boasting. From then on, it was the RN slowly undermining the Argentinian defenses, first sinking the Belgrano, the flagship of our navy, forcing the rest of the fleet to keep safe distance, and then landing their marines in the islands to fight ours. But at that time, the prospect wasn't looking that good, so our troops didn't hold for too long before the Junta gave up.

>meet belizian
>has trips
>my autism when

>that anglo armada sunk by french missiles
cute

You had a month to reinforce the islands before we arrived and did so. You had extremely well trained and armed troops dug in and the battles were much closer than the history books say.

You're right that as soon as we sunk the Belgrano the rest of your navy stayed in port for the rest of the war.

>extremely well trained and armed troops
The sources I've read said that most of our troops on the islands were conscripts with only the commando units and officers being professionals. The divisions better trained for that environment were stationed on the Andes, with the Junta fearing a Chilean invasion... seeing how we tried to invade them a few years before. Meanwhile your troops were all professionals, with quite a few veterans.

She secretly wants the Big British Cock.

5000 rochas for the islands is it a deal?