I'm fascinated by the unanimous regognition that there's just something special about this album

...yet the inability of anyone to identify what exactly it is.

Emotionally, I associate the album with the kind of tragic effervescence that might bubble up after having a few drinks with friends; its like a little nugget of camaraderie in a chaotic and painful world. If I had to describe the sound I'd say it was woolly - warm and slightly itchy. If the album was a food, it would taste like goat cheese.

Any chance of nailing down what is so distinctively great about this album?

Attached: LIeFYaM-1518196561-640x640.jpg (640x640, 123K)

Its subjective.

Its an okay album, its just reached meme-status so people like to believe its god-tier for fun

this

I agree, I think what gets me with this album is how personal it feels. Like it was made as a gift for you by a friend. I think the lo-fi aesthetic really helps fill this purpose, make it feel more down to earth.

Can't find a good download on the archive. Any help?

soulseek

circlejerking has raised this album to cult status and it has infected your brain, its not that good

if you just search for neutral milk hotel mega itll pop in a discography with on avery island

One day Sup Forums will understand that the perception of music and art in general changes with the time. One of the reasons we feel like there's not much "iconic" stuff coming out today (and by opposite, the reason why there are "le wrong generation" kids everywhere) is that nothing recent had the time to become iconic yet. In the same way, a certain weird lo-fi album that certainly has the merit of being catchy, direct and relatable that ascended to memedom pretty quickly 20 years later is perceived in a different way than when it came out. Despite what Sup Forums and the fucking hacks at Pitchfork say this album became better with time, expecially because of its meme status. I still don't think it's anything exceptional or defining, it's just pretty good.

It's in the sharethread pastebin

It's extremely honest and human. Most people can find something that resonates with them in some of the lyrics. Abstract as they are, they definitely conjure a very concrete world thanks to Jeff's words choices.
I'd say it's the mythology of the album what makes people stay. More than the music itself.

Any other albums that are as emotive, human and sincere as this one? From any genre

Are you serious? When the album came out it was essentially an instant cult classic. The band was getting recognized on the street.

most songs don't actually have well-crafted lyrics, this one does. that's what's special

Being able to sing/shout a long to the record is really fun and a good bonding experience with your singing partner(s). The lyrics relay a lot of nostalgia and growing up, memories of parents, first love and sex. Because the lyrics are quite stream of conscious and free associative it helps with the feelings of memories: anyone's memories rather than someone specific and aids in that kind of episodic memory.
The passion coming from his raw, wavering voice gives a strong sense of realness, meaningfulness, and an actual requirement for the record to exist. It doesn't just exist as a technical or commercial exercise, but because the writer needed to turn himself out.
The sound, the fuzz, the warmth, the chaos... You're wooly, itchy sweater comparison is perfect. Either a slightly oversized sweater you've had since childhood or one you've picked up and recycled from the thrift store. It has geometric patterns on it, has muted colours, the sleeves are stretched, and you latch onto those sleeves and pull them over your hands in times of discomfort. The brass band helps with the nostalgic feeling, maybe the school band from when you were a teen. The circus vibes in Untitled also help with that growing up vibe. It reminds me of Dumbo or Sgt. Pepper's. In fact the whole record with its crossfading and casual medleys gives a very Beatles/Sgt. Pepper's feeling. Not surprising given what the Elephant 6 do. And with that Beatles sound you are thrust back into the sounds of the sixties, yet more nostalgia: no looking forward to the future at all. Instead an encapsulation of the sounds and memories of growing up, of history.
Rather than goat cheese, I think a PB&J but on a chunky rye bread is more fitting. Sweet and tasty, but with those big chunks of ruffage getting stuck in your teeth.

The lyrics in Aeroplane are some of the most beautiful I've seen on any album, and there's always something special about love songs where the female is referred to as "She" mixed with acoustic guitars that give songs a nice, warm feeling. Aeroplane hits hard in all the right places, and I think that's what makes it so good and so emotional. Ignore what people say about this album, your enjoyment is completely based on how you feel about it.

Well-put

Attached: IMG_20180109_220357.jpg (1080x1003, 100K)

good post

Yep

It's not overproduced, it has shouty vocals that are easy to sing along to, and it uses some insteresting instrumentation. That's all, good songwriting and some quirks.

deserters songs

Thanks lads. Anyone found any other records that approach the feelings in this record. I've always loved Astral Weeks. And I'm finding Richard Dawson's Peasant has a similar rough and passionate folk feel to it too.

lel

Glow pt 2
Lost in translation by Mr. Muthafuckin exquire
Family tree by nick drake

Soundtracks for the Blind is crushingly emotive and sincere, not sure about the human part though

literally piles of albums are

SEMEN

Lighght by Kishi Bashi

STAINS

THE

THE

MOUNTAINTOPS

god damnit.

Why is any music good?

For this album in particular I believe it's unique and has really powerful song writing. Jeff Mangum is a bit of an enigma and his personality helped pushed the album to cult status.

It's going to have different meanings with different people, but it's a great album regardless whether you like the sound or not.

brave as a noun just gets me, y'know?

Attached: Folder.jpg (1000x1000, 106K)

Survival song is good too

American tune is one of my favorites as well

It just elicits a strong emotional response in a certain breed of people. Not very hard to understand.

Crywank is what you are looking for

Crywank is depressing, but in a self-aware sort of way.