Under the skin

wtf did i just watch?
Did you like it?
What was the point?

An alium was sent to Earth in a human suit for the purpose of harvesting men, but she got too bi-curious about the species she was impersonating and things went off the rails.

It's a fine moody little indie treatment, but I read the book and would not mind seeing a full on high-budget Hollywood extravaganza of it. Complete with large-scale meat processing. And the novel's version of what she looked like without the suit.

metaphor for modern western women. Men see them as aliens and they feel like they have to put on a skin to interact with us. If they ever were to shed their skin and show us what is beneath they get burned.

Pretty simple stuff lad

Yes I liked it and I'm glad it's not a big budget moobie like poster above suggested. It works great as it is. I particularly like the way the filming makes Scotland look like a hostile alien planet (though thinking about it, it kind of is) and the men look like cattle or prey animals.

it was for harvesting human meat (Alien delicacy) right?

I haven't read the book, you'd recommend it?

I couldn't get past the street interviews.
I just can't stand Scottish accents.

the ultimate emperors new clothes movie

>wtf did i just watch?
One of the best films of the last ten years.

I really liked it and it was one of my top 3 movies that year but I have literally no desire to watch it ever again.

you pretty much "get" it first time round.

It was okay but I still have no ideal what was going on.

I hope Glazer directs another movie soon.

Meat. Yes. It's an engrossing entertainment. It lingers a bit too long and bit too close to the issue of meat animal ethics, for which I have no use, but it completes its job of presenting a story through to the end. I'd try to find it used for under $5.

*tips fedora

You didn't like it.

this

Congratulations OP, you have good taste.

First we rape, then we burn.

Fucking humans.

It's a movie about empathy and the discovery of humanity.

>scottish
>humans

First half was interesting but got really retarded in the second half. Overall not that great.

There are a lot of subtleties that come out on repeated viewings. It's worth seeing again.

it sucked

literally
>pretentious the flick

Plebs GTFO.

literally
>pleb filter the film

Pretty brilliantly realized movie. It's about how an alien is unknowable. It's really just a blank slate and anything we think we know about its thought processes and motivations are our own projections. In the same way, the alien can't know humans and, ultimately, that becomes its undoing.

What the fuck, I genuinly thought you posted GiTS image from thumbnail, OP
Scarlet "The Same Face" Jewhansson sure a thing.

The point was to see Scarjo's naked ass

The main message they were trying to get across is that human life can be both brutal and compassionate. They decided to convey this message by having aliens witness it (and experience it).

The great thing about the movie is that it can also be viewed strictly in a straight up manner as a sci-fi movie.

The only complaint I have is that the movie felt a bit slow before she met the disfigured man - probably could have shortened the sequence with the horny guy at the night club.

I highly doubt you'll get any more than a shallow understanding of it the first time through
I was surprised how much I missed the first time through

I considered it to be a reflection of humanity, one that showed us both ultimately good and ultimately evil simultaneously.

She comes to earth with essentially a job to do, that involves a lesser being. For whatever reason, compassion and empathy begin to emerge and she allows herself to be vulnerable with a species she ultimately didn't find complex.

She experiences unconditional kindness from a stranger, followed immediately by unconditional violence from another.

Basically the first half was unsettling and raw, and the second half was a uncompromising look at how wonderful/horrible we can be.

How is it pretentious? I thought it was surprisingly unpretentious
Not to mention it's pure kino and suspenseful
You don't have to love it but I don't see how people can hate it

It wasn't pretentious. Some people think anything slow with a bit of surrealism is pretentious.

It wasn't the most accessible movie, but the parts where it wasn't accessible were used to good effect and justified themselves.

quit getting baited so easily

Pretentious - (adj) a film without comic book superheroes and explosions

Scarlett Johansson killing the few remaining straight men in Britain.

I was asking anyone really, I've heard that a lot about this movie

It's convoluted.

Just know rape or sexual abuse is a bad thing/

Better "Skin" movie.