When you hear best album of all time, which one do you instantly think

When you hear best album of all time, which one do you instantly think

Attached: 1396900467135.png (1920x1080, 2.29M)

Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

>music

Attached: UtAAsWq.jpg (212x200, 6K)

okc unironically

Attached: download.jpg (1111x1200, 178K)

Kid (G)A(Y)

Not Frances The Mute. Probably Dark Side of The Moon. That album is hugely popular and is seen as "the goat" rock record.

U prolly posted my personal pick

Frances the Mute isn't even top 3 Mars Volta Albums
>De-Loused
>Amputechture
>Goliath
>Powergap
>Frances
>Octahedron
>Noctourniquet
>Tremulant

Attached: cover.jpg (500x500, 90K)

If you think Amputechture and Goliath are better than Frances... Oh wait.

>also thinks Octahedron is better than Noctourniquet and the EP.

Nevermind.

And for the record I would also pick Frances as my #1 album, just because it was personally a very formative piece of art for me. I don't enjoy other complete albums the same way I enjoy everything about that one.

Absolutely not. That album is complete wankery at times. The intro, outro, and title track are a mess of dissonant ideas. Happy Days is one of the best songs of all time, though, and The Church of the Technochrist is pretty fun.

Attached: In_the_Court_of_the_Crimson_King_-_40th_Anniversary_Box_Set_-_Front_cover.jpeg.jpg (220x215, 14K)

Btw the correct order is:

>De-Loused/Frances
>Goliath
>Amputechture
>Noctourniquet
>Tremulant
>Octahedron

Portrait of P. D. Q. Bach

I didnt felt it as wanky as Mars Volta. For me the 2 long songs are the only weak points of the album.
Seeds of Gold is pretty kino.

i would definitely take Deloused over Frances. I was 14 when I got Frances and even then I thought the mixing sounded like shit. I would love to hear that album remastered

Frances is too indulgent. It's slow and meanders in the wrong ways. There are good moments, but there is little between the good moments that is of note at all. there is little fun allowed. I understand it's a serious album, but it takes itself too seriously. I still like it though.
Amputechture would be the best if not for the last song, because the album is very cohesive, it's only misstep is not ending on Day of the Baphomets.
Goliath works well as an album, and is fun as fuck. Only a few missteps.
I will admit that I need to listen to Noctourniquet again.
Tremulant is just not good. It feels like they didn't know what they should do, so they just did.

There's this really great article online about how the album was pieced together. Basically Omar forced everyone to record their parts separately then spliced the instrumentals together in the studio. I imagine the approach made the initial mastering a pain in the ass to begin with, but I also think that the "rough around the edges" quality is part of the album's charm.

this or court of the crimson king

Attached: bbsc.jpg (476x475, 43K)

Naturally

Attached: Lateralus cover.jpg (1000x887, 280K)

Somewhere I heard/read that he chose to record in that way because some jazz musician force his band to record like that too, It supposely makes everything better since every instrument is independent.

I love how indulgent Frances is, though. Just my personal taste, I love big, bombastic concept albums like The Wall, Aqualung, BTBAM's Colors, American Idiot, Brazil's Philosophy of Velocity (check that shit out if you like TMV), The Black Parade, etc. I can listen to all those albums start-to-finish without skipping and have a great time doing it.

On Frances, I totally get what you mean by there being "little fun allowed". I look at it this way, though: clearly, the craziest improvised parts belong to the vocals and guitars throughout. To me, though, that's the core of The Mars Volta: Cedric and Omar, pushing themselves beyond the limits of what they were able to do with ATDI, beyond the limits of the more structured format of De-Loused. It sounds very pure and honest to me, and I think being able to pour that much of yourself into your art is an admirable goal.

I also agree with you about Goliath. Definitely give Noctourniquet another shot, it's an extremely underrated collection of singles that overall ends up being much more cohesive than Octahedron.

The EP is just pure nervous creative energy. It's the sound of a bunch of young guys who just walked away from one of the most rapidly successful modern rock bands ever to start over with no promise of the same success.

I love talking about TMV's discography. My drummer and I debate whether De-Loused or Frances is the better album all the time. We're actually working on a cover of Son et Lumiere/Inertiatic ESP for some of our summer shows to replace our One Armed Scissor cover.

Well OP, it’s hard enough to pick an AOTY every year. That being said it’s totally generational for me:

Miles Davis - A Silent Way
Karen Dalton - In My Own Time
Funkadelic - Cosmic Slop
Sam Rivers - Crystals
Bill Evans - You Must Believe In Spring
Orange Juice - You Can’t Hide You’re Love Forever
Cocteau Twins - Blue Bell Knoll
Spacemen 3 - Playing With Fire
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
Boredoms - Vision Creation Newsun

I can’t pick one above another. And that’s just the ones before 2000

It's awfully boring. And equally dispassionate.

Yep, the specific jazz musician you're talking about is Miles Davis, who recorded his seminal free jazz/fusion album "Bitches Brew" by recording only one musician at a time while exposing each musician to very small segments of the other musicians' work throughout the process. Idk that it necessarily makes things "better" because it can get pretty messy and be an absolute pain in the ass to put together in post-production, but it can be useful for achieving specific artistic goals if the bandleader has a very specific vision (in Davis' case, probably something along the lines of each musician showcasing their pure improvisational instincts since they had so little to go off of; it forced them to think more creatively in the moment).

Dispassion/apathy is literally the point of DSOTM. It'a an album that deals with the individuals ennui both within himself and towards the world in the face of death.

Unfortunately that makes for a very cold and sterile listen for me. Which makes for music that I don't want to listen to. Even if they are successful in their aims.

I'll try to listen with these things in mind next time. Good luck with the band m8.

SCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG

that's really interesting. i'll have to look into that article

this actually

Attached: Cover.jpg (1408x1433, 640K)

I don't think any album before or since has surpassed the heights this one reached desu

Attached: R-1431601-1387141380-8085.jpeg.jpg (600x602, 124K)

bump

soft bulletin

first two VU albums unironically, more so WLWH

Attached: a0198602243_10.jpg (1200x1200, 130K)

The shrieking saxophone on 21st century schizoid man and the long improv session of Moonchild are good as artistic statements but not much else, the album would be better to listen to without those bits.
I still think Epitaph is an amazing song and the album a solid one, I wouldnt think of it as the best album of all time.

Smile

>The intro, outro, and title track are a mess of dissonant ideas.
That's what makes it great, you fucking retard.
And to top it off, you post In The Court right in the same post.

I used to think Frances was one of the best albums too, but I found out about this a month or so ago and I like it a lot. I've listened to this album at least twice a day ever since. I don't think any other album has had this effect on me, it's weird.

Attached: Artaud_tapa_original.png (220x240, 62K)