Why he is the greatest artist all time?

Why he is the greatest artist all time?

Attached: 63992342-1EA8-450B-A5C4-0434B1AAB842.jpg (500x484, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=12rUOLtbQDk
youtube.com/watch?v=1UfVmJBF-OY
youtube.com/watch?v=lhJaENjDEME
youtube.com/watch?v=Ojyk0g0bijM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's a meme you dip.

hell be fine

he doesn't have just one good song. Sure, if you don't really listen to him, then "Like a Rolling Stone" is his best song...

But if you actually listen to him, you will find that so many of his songs could be his "greatest," one day it might be "Desolation Row," then "It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding," Then "Shelter From the Storm," then "I Want You" or tons of others. He has like 20 songs that could make a case for being the best lyrics ever written, unlike Leonard or Cohen or Neil Young who, while amazing, can only point to a couple songs as really being truly special.

Lyricist... maybe
"artist" is too all-encompassing

Have you listened to much of his output? Should be obvious if you have.

recommend me his top5 album

He isn't.

Attached: e.jpg (640x427, 71K)

Think again.

Attached: FuckOffDylan.jpg (1280x800, 774K)

Joanna > Joni

Yeah, for a long time I just kind of liked Dylan, and for another stretch of time I really liked him but only in a personal way, and for another stretch of time I thought his discography album wise was the strongest evidence for being the GOAT, but as I kind of went on through life, I literally went through phases where I alternated in my mind which is "the" Bob Dylan song, be it lyrically or musically. And not just
"what emotionally resonates with me most", just kind of listening to songs I've heard dozens of times before like Desolation Row and suddenly becoming insanely obsessed with it even if it doesn't resonate at all with me.

That's something no other artist has done. Even though Bob Dylan isn't my favorite songwriter, he is the best songwriter.

Just listen to any.

in the realm of music as a whole, i have a hard time believing that could be anyone but Fripp (maybe Eno)

Attached: exposure.jpg (600x600, 76K)

Cohen > Dylan

just because he wrote the greatest song ever, doesn't make him the greatest artist ever (especially when someone like Dylan comes so close nearly a dozen times to matching it)

Not even fucking close m80

Attached: Joni.jpg (2054x402, 81K)

What's your favorite Bob Dylan song? I see why people like him but I haven't heard a song from that him that had has the emotion Cohen puts into his music. Dylan just feels detached from the lyrics.

Nope
pic unrelated

Attached: Kanye-West.jpg (900x600, 231K)

well, you just mentioned one of the reasons i like Dylan, so i doubt i'd change your mind.

his vocals (and lyrics) afford a certain distance for the most part, and that distance often makes me have a stronger emotional reaction to his songs.

One of Us Must Know might be closer to what you want (and i like but its not one of my favorite songs by him)

Visions of Johanna > Desolation Row >> Stuck Inside of Mobile = Mr Tamborine Man = Like a Rolling Stone = Its All Over Now Baby Blue > Its Alright Ma = Sad Eyed Lady = All Along the Watchtower = Idiot Wind = Blowin in the Wind = Sooner or Later

waste of trips

because this guy is

Attached: rs-197718-109774087.jpg (700x394, 40K)

he'll be fine

>Dylan just feels detached from the lyrics.

I understand this feeling people get from Dylan because I used to feel this way, but I don't see it at all anymore. Don't hear it. Does it come from all of the protest songs he wrote, and how he kind of disavowed them later? From his constant shifting of styles? His voice? Lyrics?

If you want emotional Dylan songs, here's a quick abridged list (but really, the vast majority of his songs are emotional, just not so on the nose or performed in a way that they seem emotional):

(note, I'm just picking random songs on a per-album basis, hence multiple songs per bullet point)

1) Girl From the North Country, Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
2) One Too Many Mornings, Boots of Spanish Leather
3) To Ramona, My Back Pages
4) She Belongs to Me, Love Minus Zero / No Limit, Mr. Tambourine Man (arguably his most personal song)
5) Like a Rolling Stone (obvious pick, but if you can't glean the layers of emotion in this song's lyrics or vocal delivery, particularly in the chorus, Dylan really may not be for you)
6) One of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later), Just Like a Woman, Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands
7) I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
8) Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You
9) If Not For You, The Man in Me
10) Forever Young, Wedding Song
11) Literally all of Blood on the Tracks. All of it. It's a man's soul poured out onto wax. He nearly regrets writing it, and iirc his children don't like to listen to it.
12) Sara

I just went and cherrypicked songs from his album streak from 1963 to 1976. The man is incredibly in touch with his emotions, and his songs frequently show it. Yeah, he punched above his weight class a lot when he was young and in his hey day with political stuff and abstract lyrics, but interspersed among those songs are very plain, human songs. When he grew older, he only moved more and more towards just putting his feelings out there and baring his soul. Give him a good, heartfelt chance.

forgot shelter from the storm

youtube.com/watch?v=12rUOLtbQDk

pure kino

He has more killer songs lyrically than any other artist.

I do think that Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” is the GOAT song lyrically, but I think that largely came down to luck. No other Cohen song comes close to Dylan.

Even Bob’s lesser known songs have incredible lyrics, “My Back Pages” for example, which is on a pretty throwaway album. I actually forgot it was a Dylan song, and I thought Neil Young wrote it because he likes to play it live a lot. Point is, even the “unknown” Dylan songs are incredible. He probably has 50 songs that, if they were written by Cohen or Young or any other songwriting competitor, they would be in those artists top 5 best songs.

He’s no slouch and I love him, but I think even Neil would say Dylan is better.

Michael Jackson is the greates artist of all time

Correct

>Blood on the Tracks
>Blonde on Blonde
>Highway 61 Revisited
>Bring It All Back Home
>The Times They Are A-Changing

Just writing those out reminds me of how insanely good he is. Any two of those albums would have made him a legend, but the fact that he has SO MUCH good stuff pushes him into mythic status.

Live at the royal albert hall 1966 vol 4
Nashville Skyline
Blood on the tracks
Highway 61 Revisited
The times they are a changin

Attached: bobby.jpg (1600x1398, 571K)

You don't like any late-era Dylan?

I loved Love and Theft, but I seem to be in the minority on that one, nobody seems to like him after he started going all crackly.

youtube.com/watch?v=1UfVmJBF-OY

You sure about that

Attached: Gary Davis.png (1200x786, 386K)

>down to luck
Took him a couple of years to write

You ever heard "the old man". Writtern by dylan, but never performed by him (that I know of). The only versions I know are by Dave van ronk, on "no dirty names", and "live at sir george williams university", and Elijah Wald has one on his website I think. It's a short simple little song, but I really like it.

This honestly, and I love Cohen and Young

Side note, did anyone else feel more betrayed by Cohen going electric than Dylan going through their discog? The arrangements on his non-acoustic stuff is so uninspired, borderline unlistenable. I might buy a songbook just so I can read the lyrics though

Good taste user, but you forgot Every Grain of Sand
youtube.com/watch?v=lhJaENjDEME
This could literally have been a fucking Yeats poem with a little retouching

nm, didn't read the footnote

After a while we took in the clothes
Nobody said very much
Just some old wild shirts and a couple pairs of pants
Which nobody wanted to touch
Mama come in and picked up a book
An' papa asked her what it was
Someone else asked, what do you care
Papa said well, just because
Then they started to take back their clothes
Hang 'em on the line
It was January the thirtieth
And everybody was feelin' fine
The next day, everybody got up
Seein' if the clothes were dry
The dogs were barking, a neighbor passed
Mama, of course, she said, hi
Have you heard the news he said with a grin
The vice president's gone mad
Where downtown when last night
Hmm, say, that's too bad
Well, there's nothing we can do about it, said the neighbor
It's just something we're gonna have to forget
Yes, I guess so said ma
Then she asked me if the clothes was still wet
I reached up, touched my shirt
And the neighbor said, are those clothes yours
I said, some of them, not all of them
He said, ya always help out around here with the chores
I said, sometimes, not all of the time
Then my neighbor blew his nose
Just as papa yelled outside
Mama wants you to come back in the house and bring them clothes
Well, I just do what I'm told so I did it, of course
I went back in the house and mama met me
And then I shut all the doors

Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
Black Diamond Bay
Tempest
Hurricane

What other are his best story telling songs?

Isis is kino
youtube.com/watch?v=Ojyk0g0bijM

>Last Trip to Tulsa
>The Needle and the Damage Done
>Every fucking song on Tonight's The Night
>Cortez the Killer
>Will To Love
>Like A Hurricane
>The Old Homestead
>Hey Hey, My My
>Pocahontas
>Powderfinger
>Hitchhiker
>Everybody Knows this is Nowhere
>Round and Round
>Cowgirl in the Sand
>Every fucking song on On the Beach

Neil>>>>>Robert

>tfw bob will die in our lifetime

Attached: 1512786222350s.jpg (124x91, 2K)

If you want emotion listen to If You See Her Say Hello.

Checked

Of course he is, Jews are best at everything.

I love Neil, especially because he really does have a ton of good songs, but he just can’t compete with Bob. His best songs occasionally veer into Dylan territory but for every Cortez the Killer there is an All Along the Watchtower or another song that does it better.

Because he is a Minnesotan!

SHUT UP

Attached: 14389988904380.png (858x725, 228K)

I really wished that I liked Bob Dylan more than I do. I only got into Nashville Skyline and New Morning, don't even like his classic stuff

Because like kanye he couldn't sing or play music and yet he sold music to the middle class based on image and "good lyrics".

t.brainlet

Dylan I consider to be otherworldly. Just plain not of this dimension. He has absolute control over what he calls "the spirits", it's everything we can't see.

I don't like to compare Cohen to Dylan, or anyone to Dylan. When I listen to Leonard Cohen, I feel a sense of humanity, like I can relate to him, because he's human. He's as good at writing songs as a human being can be. With Bob, there's something dark running underneath, like he's able to go somewhere no one else can. When he writes a song, I imagine it as being more like magic, or alchemy. It makes his 60 minutes interview in which he claims to have made a "bargain" with the "Chief Commander" even a little more unsettling.

Try John Wesley Harding or The Basement Tapes if you like his country sound more

Believe it or not during what I now regard as a psychotic episode I believed that I had been presented a deal by the devil, felt the touch of God and that I discovered a prophesy in Bob Dylan’s music forewarning the suicide of my ex-girlfriend. I believed that I had a choice to let it go ahead which would allow me to ‘absorb her soul’ by staring into her eyes and kickstart my own songwriting career, or take the selfless option and prevent it but sacrifice my own gain. I chose the selfless option. I also felt that I had found a strange belief system in Bob Dylan’s music about darkness and light, and interpreting peoples eyes.

I was no doubt mentally ill but I still find some of the themes in his music deeply sinister. Tempest and Empire Burlesque are albums I can’t listen to at all as they seem relate so heavily to what I experienced, even though I hadn’t heard them at the time. When The Night Comes Falling From the Sky and Pay in Blood in particular. It’s bizarre and defies logic.

>You must have been protecting someone last time I called

I just try not to overthink it and get on with my life.

I’m pretty sure he went the way of Robert Johnson and sold his soul to the devil to be the greatest lyricist of all time. Like another poster said, other great songwriters are great because they feel human, but Bob Dylan is mythical, he writes songs that feel like they already existed and had to exist and he just uncovered them. Boots of Spanish Leather is a song that sounds like it could be 200 years older than it actually is, like some Canterbury Tales or some shit. Desolation Row feels like some bibilical poem.

Bob Dylan will be a part of not just music history but history in general. He’s a 20th century Shakespeare.

will do user, thanks

>lyricsplebs

c d e dm am I right?

No, I can’t think of any Bob songs with that chord progression. Maybe check out Dylanchords and see for yourself.

hang on

g dm b e?

See song title.

Attached: 674FC17E-A155-4694-B7F6-B943F07E61EA.jpg (2958x3024, 1.21M)

A song of simple chords? Sure proved me wrong. Let me guess, he drops the vocal note half way through every word?

Well, yeah, I did prove you wrong because you appear to believe he doesn’t go beyond four chord progressions you have come up with off the top of your head. Either you haven’t listened to any of his music or you are tone deaf.

>a dylan fan calling someone tone deaf

Look man, I've legimately made an attempt to listen to him. I really have. But his lack of ability to sing or play guitar just ruin it for me. I can't stand that dropping of the note at the end of every fucking line combined with the horrific timbre. That and the simplicity make it unlistenable. My only theory is that people just like the words. Half of the chords you seem to think are hard are just transitioned root notes. People do that with complex right hand picking and while ainging at the same time. Just admit that all he is good for is lyrics and get on with it.

He literally sold his soul to Satan, that’s how

I don’t think they’re hard, I play guitar myself, I chose that song in particular more as a joke based on the title. I can appreciate music for what it is and complexity =/= merit. I would rather hear a well played and well sung three chord song than some halfwitted greasy moron soullessly shredding even if the latter is more difficult.

I also think Dylan is an excellent singer, he just has an unusual voice that some people can’t get past. Try and find him singing off pitch or off key in any of his 60s albums and get back to me on that. You just don’t like the timbre of his voice, it’s that simple.

He drops the note constantly on johanna. And don't pretend timbre can't be improved. Jay Kay is british and sings like Stevie Wonder. It's just lazy. Maybe he is trying to sound raspy. Bending between notes constantly without deliberate inflection is just hiding that you can't hold a note.

Also, do any of his songa have harmonies?

Ok, go get Jay Kay or Stevie Wonder to sing Visions of Johanna and see if it improves the song.

>pro tip: it wouldn’t

Dylan’s voice is perfect for his songs. The only cover version that comes close to improving on the original is Jimi Hendrix’s All Along the Watchtower.

I mean I can't call it good in the first place so I don't see how a cover improving it or not matters.

I really couldn’t care less whether someone likes Dylan or not, I just find it absurd when someone like you comes along and tries to objectively prove he’s shit. You clearly just don’t get his music, move on to something else.

I think perhaps the world just wasn't ready. He wrote from his heart.

>I will, not go, down under the ground
>Cause somebody tells me that death's coming around
>And I will, not carry, myself down to die
>When I go to my grave my head will be high
>Let me die, in my footsteps, before I go down under the ground

Imagine listening to bob dylan if you didn't understand english. Would you still enjoy it?

visions of johanna

Fourth time around

Do you reckon everyone going to these sold out concerts speaks perfect English?

Attached: A915271D-C2FF-4AB9-AB72-289B310B6A9F.png (1242x2208, 255K)

I believe we're talking about artists, and not people who let computers do all the heavy lifting for them.

I can tell you a few of his most underrated story songs:

>Motorpsycho Nightmare
>John Birch Paranoid Blues
>Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest
>Joey
>TV Talkin’ Song

Forgot Highlands.

Pretty much, yes. Show me those numbers in korea or chile and you have an arguement. Not in Europe.

You’re really clutching at straws here. English is not universally spoken in Europe, in places like Spain, France and Italy most strong English speakers are either very highly educated or those who work in the tourist industry.

>greatest north American English-speaking folk singer-songwriter of a particular era of the 2nd half of the 20th century

>Italians speaking english
no

how badly has reddit infested this place that shit like this is being posted unironically and going under the radar

Highway 61 revisited > blonde > everything else