So can we just admit now that "silly" artists are objectively better than serious ones? Ween, Ariel Pink, Devo...

So can we just admit now that "silly" artists are objectively better than serious ones? Ween, Ariel Pink, Devo, They Might Be Giants, Captain Beefheart, B-52s, Oingo Boingo, Madness, Mr Bungle, Primus, and so many others. It's because being goofy or funny in music allows for unlimited creativity. These acts no longer have to care about being taken seriously, so musically they can explore anything they want. And they have serious work too, but the fact that they don't have to be serious opens up so many possibilities. Whereas your favorite artist is so tied down by being a serious musician that they will never do anything extraordinary.

Attached: 120601-ween-640x426.png (639x426, 573K)

yeah I dunno I think there was a sense of humor behind nirvana even though he was like deadly serious you know, the bonkers noises and strange combinations of words.

its two sides of the same coin too bc ween is, I totally understand half of their songs are outright comedic, but its pretty serious in the sense that they take the performance seriously (gene's vocals and dean guitar work) and strain themselves to write the absolute best material possible.

oh don't get me wrong, when I say they don't take themselves seriously, I don't mean that they don't try. All the artists I mentioned try hard as fuck. They just aren't worried about being seen as ridiculous.

This is the final musical frontier for listeners. Take away the ego, and the music is free and filled with real heart and emotion. Humor is integral to Human life: to deny it in art is ridiculous.

Attached: jm.jpg (636x477, 55K)

ween is trash

fucking nazi whore

*raises spork in agreement* :3

one of the realest posts ive read on this increasingly shitty board in 2018

>Devo
>silly
I take the devolution theory seriously.

Attached: kera_devo.jpg (640x860, 123K)

silly artists are the best artists

Attached: banana gira.jpg (585x329, 115K)

Michael Gira actually is pretty silly.
I saw them at their last show.
Christoph Hahn was playing a solo of some sort and Gira walked over to him and did pic related. Hahn looked up, smiled and returned the favor. Gira bounced it right back at him with a smirk. Again, Hahn made the ok sign and Gira did the same. This interaction went on for about 45 seconds. It was adorable.

Attached: Ok.jpg (1024x876, 50K)

Thanks man, we gotta stick together. Some artists I recc if people are interested in those groups above are R. Stevie Moore, Alex Cameron, Kirin J. Callinan and The Garden. Maybe not 100% the same sound/aesthetic, but they come from a place I don't think I can describe, but I know I like a lot.

Attached: 20180306_022142.jpg (4032x3024, 1.96M)

gira is a nice boy

Neck yourself kid

OP here
I really want to like the Garden, and I feel like I should, but there's something super off putting about the dude's voice. I've only listened to Haha in full though. Is there other work better?

What should be put on the chart for essential sillycore, lads?

Attached: Psychic, Powerless.jpg (600x600, 59K)

how can I enjoy listening to don't get 2 close 2 my fantasy and poopship destroyer next? this band is fucking insane

yea they have to have a balance of seriousness and "silliness"
aphex twin has a lot of silliness and weirdness in his work but it makes his "serious" songs like flim and alberto balsalm a lot more impactful
artists that are either pure silliness or pure seriousness are hard to take seriously

I really like all their stuff so I'm probably not a good judge, but i think You want the scoop EP, California Here We Go/CallThis # and the new songs they released are all really good. I think other artists (MGMT did this on She Works Out To Much) are going to start utilizing those horribly cheesy brass stabs from like the 90s/00s the same way the Garden have, similar to reappropriation of "muh 80s analog synths" we have seen in the last 10ish years.

I never really thought about this before. Makes me seriously consider trying to change my musical vision a little bit.

Nothing, just listen what you like and share with other people. "-core" charts are killing Sup Forums; standardizing albums/artists within labels like "silly-core" (ew...) is limiting.

Attached: Kip_the_Pimp.jpg (432x322, 22K)

It has made me a much better artists I believe; as corny as it is, the only person I'm trying to be at the end of the day is myself.

>It's because being goofy or funny in music allows for unlimited creativity
I don't think that is inherently true. The bands you've listed happened to have talented and imaginative musicians in them.
>These acts no longer have to care about being taken seriously
No, the average listener doesn't want to take bands you've mentioned seriously, to the point of ignoring extremely capable musicians and treating them as just another "joke band". Of course, humor isn't identical.

Start with Zappa immediately.

This.

I think creative people are the ones who figure out that adding layers of humor and fusing genres is what makes an artist innovative and relatable. In that way, genius/imaginative artists lead to humorous/playful music.

>increasingly shitty board
The peak was reached in august last year. Leave, it's for your own good.

The Residents can't play instruments for shit but their lack of seriousness makes them endlessly creative

True, althogh they weren't mentioned. I haven't listened to Ariel Pink, They Might Be Giants and Madness though. Not for me.

>havent listened
>not for me
So how did you come to this conclusion?

Attached: DGWkdFlUMAACMPZ.jpg (1200x900, 217K)

>last year
Try 7 years ago, even then it was pretty bad.

can i subscribe to your posts

Hahaha that's very nice of you. I would make a trip to try to salvage this board, but that seems really self important. Instead, look out for my posts: you will know them when you see them :)

Attached: najboljidrugari.jpg (730x500, 94K)

Didn't actively listen, just some songs.

>It's because being goofy or funny in music allows for unlimited creativity.
plz pass your high school exit exam before posting on mu. Serious bands can't have "unlimited creativity"? What is unlimited creativity? kys

I wouldn't say that "silliness" necessarily makes a band better. I think it's refreshing with those guys, but if every band were like that, it would be the exact opposite, where a band that acts totally seriously would be a breath of fresh air instead.

Nirvana was an extremely sarcastic band. It's just hidden behind bleak nihilism.

They were nothing. Their lyrics didn't indicate anything, because they were often vague and just there. Their presentation doesn't help your assumption either.