What do you think of classical music?

What do you think of classical music?

Attached: af2.png (741x568, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tf5fM1i3MGQ
youtube.com/watch?v=9ZX_XCYokQo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm too much of an uneducated brainlet to fully appreciate it but I still think it is one of the most impressive and beautiful things humans have ever done

what he said

Classical music is almost pointless to discuss if you aren't an academic.
Great stuff though.

This definitely is not true.

Listening to some Dowland right now

I enjoy it

Many classical compositions are incredible artistic works that the listener can appreciate more and more, the more he listens and studies the piece.

Frankly I wish I had more time to devote to studying classical music.

i listen to opera sometimes but otherwise ive never really tried

I enjoy it from time to time, but overall it's a bit boring to me. That's probably because I am a pleb when it comes to music theory and instruments etc. It's probably similar to jazz in that it becomes a lot more engaging if you actually know theory and/or play an instrument. They aren't required to enjoy the genres, but probably increase the enjoyment you get out of them.

i really like some of it but dont honestly think i understand it.

To me most interesting type of music by far. Fucking amazing basically. Go to your local symphony hall when they have an international soloist playing a concerto with the orchestra or something, especially something you can see like violin. You'll be impressed I'm sure.

I had a lot of music lessons when I was a kid so maybe why I like it so much. Not that I play that great now but.

Well there's different layers of depth. If you don't know a lot of theory you probably won't get everything out of it. But even with very little knowledge of music it's very enjoyable. Your average Joe in Bach's time most likely didn't know shit about modulations or counterpoint, yet they still enjoyed his music.

Basically what metal is today, soulless wank for pseuds. But there's some good shit out there

It was good until Beethoven and other posers ruined it

Yeah exactly, I don't think most people who go to concerts are experts they just like it.
Composers wrote a range of pieces too, some are simpler so people could get into them easier or play them. Others are more complex, but you can just listen and enjoy.

Attached: 317.png (500x501, 80K)

Do people actually not like classical music? I get some people don't like certain composers or that they might not actually listen to it actively, but do some people actually hate it?

I'm musically illiterate so it flies over my head. I'll stick to rock muzak.

Attached: 1520861705253.jpg (412x351, 32K)

As a music lover, how can you not like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=tf5fM1i3MGQ

Attached: 0uUIa06.gif (357x270, 2.38M)

You just have to listen and concentrate. If you can follow the melodic lines and recognize the motives being developed that's all you need.

>mahluh
>bern(((stein)))
>how can you not like this?
By having taste

russian composers are ace

Attached: 3230037.jpg (655x768, 44K)

Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms and Schönberg are top-tier.
Everyone else kinda pales in comparison even if they made good music.

Attached: Stravinsky-005.jpg (640x360, 85K)

This

What the hell

Attached: 1518827653195.gif (488x463, 60K)

Glad to know you're missing out.

Russians contributed more to the art of chess than music.

Attached: 475c7881-390d-4f56-8abf-c435df94bfbb.jpg (640x639, 49K)

I think that Sup Forums should listeb to more of it.
youtube.com/watch?v=9ZX_XCYokQo

based, what pieces?

When the music was more alien to me, I really enjoyed it. But, like a lot of popular music, once I was able to grasp the music, I got bored of it. Sure it takes a lot more to digest than pop music due to the variety of patterns on at play, but what happens once you can pick it all up after your mulitiple listens or growth as a listener? Common practice era western art music (I'll just call it older classical) makes meaning through the concept of functional harmony, but the idea of functional harmony in of itself is meaningless and only given meaning through subjective interpretation. Even the "science" behind deriving stuff like the major scale or the triad all have non-objective assumptions one has to take first. As for modern classical, it seems to take a more seemingly initially creative direction, but after the initial enjoyment of finally getting what's really happening I get bored here, too. Like, the idea of trying to scrounge details in Brian Ferneyhough's compositions full of broken musical structures is really cool; the dude really seems to have in a way adapted his childhood of scavenging for leftover goods with his mom from buildings destroyed in WW2. But every work of his does this insanely complex broken structure thing.

Idk if this is me kinda ultimately hashing out right now my dissatisfaction with the music medium as well although it's supposed to be favorite medium, but if a Nickelback song is boring because you can hear the patterns that make one sound like all the others, I feel the same way for classical or any other form of music as well. It just took me longer to get bored of classical.

then ur just not feeling what ur listening to. keep looking m8

To be fair, once you learn shit about classical it completely changes your perspective. I think nigger over there () should have said it's pointless to talk to uneducated people about it if you are vs if you're not. But that's with anything really.

rite of spring more like shite of spring

Basedvinsky

I tend to find classical compositions to be kind of plain and quaint, like they all sound the same until I start to understand more nuances and it's individuality. There really is no clear connection to what something factually IS and how it's perceived 'emotionally', like with language for example, iris, Ireland and irrelevant are completely different concepts though the words sound similar. And in music, if you used a computer to randomize a composition you would factually get a brand new type of music unlike everything ever made before but it would sound, like every other such composition, like a garbled mess to a human listener.

>sound to a human listener
I think the reality of it is we have discovered the peak of music, just like how there are only like 7 stories I believe you can tell, there are certain things that naturally we are inclined to like. But I don't think you should give any validity to people using "random computer notes" to make music because it takes no skill or talent to do so. I can have some, but it takes far more talent to have a voice yet to follow certain specifications. I know in school it was so much easier to compose when I had to have x, y and z and the teacher saying I have a month vs me doing it on my own.

fpbp

It's definitely the best. But it makes me sad that people write it off, as they are doing in this thread, by saying they don't understand it. I think people are too accustomed to more immediately rewarding music to the detriment of our general musical hygiene.

It has it's place. Some of it is great and will always be remembered. Doesn't mean you gotta listen to it constantly or care about composers.

I don't think you can say that, I don't think we have any idea about what music actually is. The exact same notes can have a completely different significance in a different culture. It all correlates to our own internal experience somehow, I think it's more that we don't have any such experiences anymore.

yes, but there are some fundamental truths of being human. The human voice can only do x amount of things, the human body can only run as fast as x, all human's breathe oxygen and need water and food to live. Music was used to communicate mostly likely and celebrate and for expression. While we don't know as much about reality as we'd like to think, there are some truths and the human brain has evolved to enjoy repetition and similarity. While there are obviously exceptions, there are baseline things that are fact.

This. I'm really saddened how many people get intimidated by it. There's at least 600 years of material and hundreds of different schools and genres and variations of it, I'm sure everybody could find at least one thing they like if they put time and effort into researching it.
But even when people do listen to classical it's almost always a few baroque composers here and there, the usual Romantic gang and the Vienna classics and then it pretty much stops. There's so little people that listen to very early sacred or modal or atonal music and that's some of the best music I've heard in my life, especially chamber music from the first half of the 20th century. It saddens me I never have anyone to talk to about it, I think it can be very beautiful, it's just not exactly "pretty".

>Doesn't mean you gotta listen to it constantly or care about composers.
What does this even mean?

Attached: hoffman_rite-47da6ab3980b9dbaae06c1f5771f6e4b0c933c91-s900-c85.jpg (900x675, 131K)

Great to put on a Sunday morning, when the sun is shining through the windows, your hangover is next to nothing, your girl is still in bed and your just starting to make some breakfast for the both of you.

I dig classical.

It's what I listen for the most part, but only because I "play" classical instruments

It means you can recognize that something is important to music history without being personally invested in it.

It's like Trout Mask Replica, many many people recognize that it's a great album, or at least will parrot reason why it's good. Doesn't mean you gotta personally invest in Captain Beefheart.

the virgin mozart vs the CHAD stravinsky

fight me irl pls

Look into your heart, you know it to be true.