What will happen to joint EU scientific/medical/technological research now?

What will happen to joint EU scientific/medical/technological research now?

Will UK still contribute or do eurosceptics see no value in this kind of thing?

they don't do anything important anyway

Here's your )yew( now fuck off

A giant robot's anus? Kay.

Solid quints senpai.

Can I have a real answer guys

The longer CERN has less people working the better

Eurosceptics are too stupid to understand the relevance of scientific research.

a lot of politics is just for show, im sure you can imagine that. its not like EVERYONE is going to hang up their life's work bc of brexit, that alone is silly to think about.

Norway is part of CERN, not in the EU.

Fuck off.

Political union is not required for co-operation on certain things.

I have a serious question... an this is coming from someone doing a PhD.

What more is there really to research? Is quality of life that lacking right now that we still need to strive so hard to continue researching things? If all research stopped today, would your quality of life be that worse off?

People go on about research like it's the backbone of the whole world, but there comes a point where we need to be satisfied enough with our world that we don't have to keep finding problems with it. Things like cancer research, I couldn't care less if I got cancer, it's just a natural part of life. People seem to want to keep on living forever, putting every last resource into extending their dull lives, when they really don't do anything in the first place.

Kill yourself.

Colliding particles and jerking off about scientific discovery is cool, but there are bigger problems in the world to solve.

You know, someone in Ancient Rome probably would have said the exact same thing. Their are things yet to be discovered that you wouldn't have ever thought of. Would an ancient Roman have thought of lighting a bonfire in a chariot (sorta) to get it to move 100 mph like we do today? What about a bow that fires a tiny metal arrow at faster then the speed of sound?

Things we have today seemed like magic eons ago. The things we think of as magic or fiction today will be common tech in a few centuries.

What I'm interested to know is will the EU continue using English as much as they do or will they push French or German more

I just want to live to 1000 and then we can stop

But was an ancient Roman's life situation that bad?

It's all relative. Cars, modern technology, modern medicine - I don't think much of this stuff really brings much happiness or satisfaction to people's lives. They are nice luxuries, but not much more than that.

I don't think technology and research will ever solve mankind's problems, which are embedded in the human psyche.

CERN, ESA etc are separate from the EU m8.

See

There was the exact same sentiment right before Einstein came along with relativity.

But research isn't necessarily about finding some monumental break through, but possibly finding more efficient ways of doing what we currently do.

Oil won't last for ever, we can't just keep polluting, populations are growing like crazy. Politicians are doing fuck all about this so science is the one area looking to the future and how to make it better.

Fuck you, I want to live to 1001

Then we can stop and I will do anything in my power to prevent anyone living till 1002

That would just be unnatural.

LHC is independent from the EU. It is a project that UK was a major contributor of and UK will continue to contribute. Nothing will change in the research field in Europe after Brexit.

I know, but I wasn't really talking about that, just in general.

Will there be more of a push for a language other than English to be the common language of Europe

They already don't. The EU instead employs an army of translators, to and from every European language.

Or do you mean by the general public?

In which case, that's still generations away (assuming the project even lasts that long).

European science is a joke, cant hold a candle to American research despite outnumbering American scientists

>Things like cancer research, I couldn't care less if I got cancer, it's just a natural part of life

People say that but invariably they end up wishing they could have more time on earth when the day finally comes.

Not taking proactive action has the same end result as not living a healthy lifestyle - both shorten your life. Smokers will say they're not worried about the risks but I've never heard of one dying an early death from it saying they don't regret it.

We do just fine m8.

>assuming it lasts that long
Good point

I guess I was just wondering what their end goal was, since they very clearly want to break down identity and actually diversity amongst Europeans. Was their a language they promote.

>I have a serious question... an this is coming from someone doing a PhD.

>What more is there really to research?

You're getting money from the taxpayer to do it I imagine - its your job to figure that question out. If you think it's a waste of time then quit and stop leeching.