I'm starting to think that this guy is a music genius

I'm starting to think that this guy is a music genius.

Attached: julian_casablancas.jpg (608x403, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kRqc6dLLI8Y
reddit.com/user/sara520/comments/
youtube.com/watch?v=qDBCLA5umhI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Dude I love MGMT

>starting
please

Attached: ishygddt.jpg (600x600, 23K)

I was pretty convinced about that when I listened to Tyranny, mainly Human Sadness. That's the song of the decade

that's foster the people you idiot

Definitely talented... but looking at his contemporaries, IMO he doesn't quite measure up to Jack White or Pete Doherty/Carl Barât. I might also put Craig Nicholls above him.

Attached: shotsfired.png (718x398, 66K)

>p-people d-d-don't like Ariel P-P-Pink b-b-b-but they like Ed Sh-Sheeran!!!!11!!! :-(

No, this guy is a fucking retard and a crybaby and I hope he gets fucked in the ass.

I totally got what he was saying in that vulture interview. He wants to find the velvet underground. That band 30 years from now people will still be talking about instead of donnie osmand/ed sherran fagatrons

Also wouldnt it be something if the charts were dominated by weird alternative music instead of corporate trash.

Jack white ran out of ideas after he broke up the white stripes.

He is making an electronic solo album when he should be making an outlaw country alt country album

Julian clearly sees the strokes as his pop rock band that pays the bills, and he sees the voids as a vehicle to have fun and experiment musically

hes a genius, and they always have trouble communicating his ideas to us common trash

or hes an asshole, i cant decide

None of these people are making music as interesting as The Voidz.

Tyranny was a piece of shit though.

say what you will about Ariel as a person and maybe his last few albums but The Doldrums, Worn Copy and House arrest are utter masterpieces

I didn't say Ariel sucked but Julian is a fucking whiny bitch.

Wrong.

Go eat a big pile of shit you shitskin nigger, in other words go eat yourself you fucking filth.

He's a smart dude. Maybe a little pretentious, but these pretentions, for once, have a basis, and I wish him all the best.
Jack's been going downhill for years. Not immediately after he broke The White Stripes as some would like to say, because he still did a few really good collab albums, but maybe since around 2013 or so his decline became really rapid.

ariel's that good that i'm ok with people whining in his defense

ariel is the quintessential indie musician's indie musician. in his prime his songwriting was insanely and intimidatingly good, unironically genius level

just listening to his stuff right now... LIVE

youtube.com/watch?v=kRqc6dLLI8Y

1997 BABY

Virtue is going to be the album of the decade.

that was tyranny

Yeah, he sounds like a dumb rich kid who had never been told no.

Strokes have 2 albums worth listening to.

Ariel Pink is trying to be pop 1000% the quality of production inhibits 99% of people from getting into it especially th first albums.

Also Loaded sucks.

Worn Copy is inaccessible to people because it's a. home recording.

People are just not into it for the most part.

I played Psychocandy at work and my coworker thought the speaker was broken.

Ed SHeeran also has a worldwide marketing budget, they play that song "Shape of You" everywhere from Delhi to Saigon

idk about genius but he's a god tier radio dj

everything single thing you just said is wrong

that interview was so fucking bad outside of the poijnt about getting young ppl invested in politics and even then i'm sure he only wants young ppl who care about the same political stances to get into politics

geniuses can be assholes

He is unicornically the best musician to have ever lived prove me wrong

>he's a god tier radio dj
elaborate on that

That interview sounds a lot like he's trying to stir up some controversy in time for his album release.
So yeah, pretty genius if you ask me. He knows what he's doing.

>He is unicornically the best musician to have ever lived
>unicornically
what did he mean by this?

Attached: 73b5b7447c7fb1aaa5a6a5f268455a43.gif (500x700, 555K)

You are thinking right

(The Voidz) only the Voidz, but know that Voidz was a great feat of humanity

You what?

curious as to what you all think of this interview. I feel like his heart is in the right place, but some of his points just miss the mark here. Like when he's talking about success of mainstream artists vs. indie artists, he does nothing to mention minority artists, in favor of straight white male artists like Ariel Pink and Porches. The Strokes were gifted a great amount of commercial success, really by being in the right place at the right time, so his frustration with the industry seems a bit misplaced to me. He also has no concept of the career of Jimi Hendrix but that's a whole other thing lol

>in favor of straight white male artists
What's that got to do with anything?
He literally mentioned two less mainstream artists he thought were good?

yes, because this shows that he's more concerned with his perceived quality of the music than he is with actually furthering the genre and being more accepting to other people.

Hendrix never had a #1 single in his lifetime

But isn't that a good thing if he's more concerned about the quality of the music over anything? I don't understand why it matters if the two artists he mentioned are straight/white? Why have you brought race and sexuality into it when that was not mentioned at all in the interview?

I'm not labeling him as a racist or misogynist or anything like that, I'm just saying that I am disappointed in what he views be an underappreciated artist. identity politics are important in the indie music industry because of the way it's still so unbalanced. look at what happened recently with David Byrne - how many collaborators and not a single woman? legacy artists need to think about the impact they're having on the big picture of indie music, in my opinion.

like ott said, a guy pretending to be a rich daddy's boy from 70s new york backed by the blandest variety of muzak, the modern spinal tap's offshoot

Okay, I get what you're saying. But he literally mentioned TWO artists that he thought were under appreciated. And you're saying you're disappointed that they both happen to be white/straight? Why?
Am I not allowed to talk about a musician that I like unless I also mention an equal number of black or gay musicians?

Are you seriously calling Julian’s music muzak?

yes, but we've let the music industry, especially the indie and rock sides, become so whitewashed and male that promoting diversity is the only way we can be sure that quality is the only factor that determines whether or not an artist succeeds in the future. where we stand now is that minority artists in those genres are at a huge disadvantage. he is from a different generation but many, many people from our generation look up to him and that still holds weight.

ok i'm just fucking with you ive been copying and pasting this retarded indieheads mod's comments cause i'm bored
reddit.com/user/sara520/comments/

not me, Chris Ott
he said that anything this guy was involved in was the tamest weakest stuff there is in popular music

Holy fuck you actually got me. I was losing my mind for a minute there. Like, "how the fuck did this guy end up on Sup Forums?".
Fucking lol

kek

Jack White is the biggest hack in recent history my guy
*turns on big muff & plays muh bluesy pentatonic riff*

>reddit spacing
I mean we pretty much knew to ignore your comment anyway, but thanks for driving the point past home

>he does nothing to mention minority artists, in favor of straight white male artists like Ariel Pink and Porches
Hard redpill to swallow, straight white men make the best music and art

Jack White was a really smart dude who spent about a decade giving people what they wanted, which is a decent run for someone who did something as simple as his shtick. Used to be a great songwriter, too.

>Chris Ott
lmfao

yeah
praise p4k

Julian Casablancas is so out of touch and trying so hard to stay relevant by latching onto Ariel. Of course Ariel isn't popular; even his more polished is stuff is difficult for your average tswift fan to comprehend.

Instead of looking like a retard, he could have said "I think Ariel is comparable to VU in that VU didnt have a huge following like the most popular artists at the time, but a lot of people who heard VU/Ariel decided to start a band/record music."

That still sounds pretentious as hell, but at least he doesnt look like a total douche.

Attached: Screen_Shot_20180311_at_9.48.51_PM.png (706x388, 376K)

This is copypasta taken from an indieheads mod post

Julian really sounds like my dad

Is this thread for real?
Julian Casablancas is a braindead rich kid who's never had a valuable word to say about anything. He's a cretin.

i just watched his video pslam 285 where he's really friendly towards the strokes saying he saw them multiple times and that they were really approachable guys

youtube.com/watch?v=qDBCLA5umhI
skip to 8:23

I love Iceage

yeah, but he still ridicules them

james ferraro

>snow patrol on mu
wow

Jack White needs to get back with the Raconteurs or Dead Weather, his music isn't dirty enough