All memes aside, What went wrong?

All memes aside, What went wrong?

Copied the comic book rather than being inspired by it.

Shit source material

Hack Snyder

zack snyder made another 3 hour long commercial for the vfx company and collected his paycheck

The story is heavily modified with certain plot points missing entirely. Also the ending has been changed and I don't think the internal logic works as well as they intended.
Certain characters received other characters' lines.
Added extraneous violence/spectacle.
Questionable casting in some instances (others were spot on).
Cliched implementation of some of the lisceneced music (the original score was phonemenal is some scenes).

These are just the thing that jump out at me.

by removing the squid, all of the scientists and artists on the island go away.

so the comedian doesnt find the island and put it all together.

so the entire movie is one giant plothole.

(also the comic wasnt that great, although it had good parts, it was full of shit scenes and flashbacks that made it almost incoherent)

Too long + too many characters. Other than that it was the best capeshit tbqh desu.

should i listen to the youtube reading of the comic instead

Too short to do the comic justice. It thus devolves into "Bush did 9/11" featuring the most cliche sound track of all time.

It's still alright I guess.

nothing, to this day it's the second best capekino after TDK. I have the comic next to me as I write this

THE LINE IT IS DRAWN

eh I thought the changed ending made more sense actually.

What plot points, other than those relating to the alien squid, were missing?

also the music was implemented where Moore quoted said music in the comic

Nothing went wrong. It was a great movie.

shoulda been a hour long 12 episode tv series.

>full of shit scenes and flashbacks

I respectfully disagree but im a pathetic fanboy. What scenes didn't do it for you (comic not film)

Watchmen as a story only works as a genre critique. These elements were not in the film, thus making it feel hollow and boring.

that's objectively the best capeshit movie

stop acting like it's bad

This. Everything about the comic was designed to maximally exploit the medium it was created in.

It tried waaaay too hard to be topical with all the period stuff, in terms of musical fluorishes, just-so-pat pop cultural references at just the right times, etc, to the point of being cringey. People frownfrog about "It Ain't Me" playing in a 'Nam picture, but here is a picture that literally uses Hendrix's Watchtower (IIRC) during a Vietnam sequence, which amounts to about the same thing. At some point, one of the dudebro frat guys sitting next to me commented to his buddy, "geez, they're just hitting them (obvious, not-totally-necessary pop culture references) all, aren't they?" And he was right.

This could be partially excused if it were all in the source text, but IIRC it isn't and they just took the license to amp up the culture memes to 11.

That said, the film's conclusion does greatly improve upon the Deus ex Machina "and then suddenly a heretofore unrelated spaghetti monster" of the text.

>heretofore unrelated

It's not that.

ITT: SquidFags

i think they used all along the watch towe because one of the chapters uses some of its lyrics on the chapter page. still unnecessary tho

Nothing. Fuck you. 77 get.

And I think the lyrics are quoted before or after one of the chapters.

The scientists were working on the exact same thing, but it was covered up differently.

Squid
Costumes
Soundtrack

Still a really good film, but it could have been a lot better.

Spider-Man 1, 2, Watchmen, BVS, and Dredd are the only comic hero movies to grab me by the balls in theaters. Watchmen is number 1.

Nothing, the movie is GOAT

Also making Ozy German was retarded, and casting Buscemi's gay kid brother as him made no sense.

What do you mean, "what went wrong?" It's as great as an adaptation of that book stuffed into an hour and a half could be, and clearly one of the best superhero films of all time.

2 and a half hours*

I gonna kill myself, not today not tomorrow but soon, really soon

Pretty much everything, especially the visuals. This fuckwit turned the watchmen into the power rangers.
Adrian Veidt being a poof is a perfect stamp of what went wrong, the creative team behind it has the subtlety of a jackhammer.

please don't

join the military first at least

Oh yeah some of the casting was iffy. There were a lot of perfect choices too.

Ozy kinda got the shift in general in the film which blows since he was the best character of the comic.

Didn't mean to reply to that last post, my apologies.

same reason Metal Gear would make a terrible movie adaptation.

No giant squid at the end. That was my only complaint. It was almost panel for panel. Not too bad

>ame reason Metal Gear would make a terrible movie adaptation.
But Metal Gear isn't a deconstruction parody of videogames. It razzes on movies.

this happens way too often

>thanks lucas
>thanks jackson

Nothing went wrong. It was the best that could've been done with such ridiculous source material.

>hurr durr grimdark superheroes and 8th grade philosophy, what a comic book masterpiece

>Metal Gear isn't a deconstruction parody of videogames.

SoL is. But that's not what I meant.

nothing

The tone.
Snyder put his dick in the way of the adptation.

Moore's work was supposed to be a sincere, nihilistic deconstruction of the medium, with no intention to be appealing. The film on the other hand knows that "gritty means cool" and is loving every minute of it.
They're both jerk-off fantasies in a way, but with different intent. One was meant to repulse its target audience through constant thinking, the other was made to make the same target audience happy while aiming for their bowels.
>it grabs you by the balls
You said it user