People have told me that reznor is a god with huge influence over a ton of shit. This doesn't really seem true...

people have told me that reznor is a god with huge influence over a ton of shit. This doesn't really seem true? What has he done and why does it matter?

Attached: trent-reznor.jpg (2500x1467, 265K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KrfOahWNT_A
youtube.com/watch?v=EYcmj4r-86I
youtube.com/watch?v=9jdsjX6u5Sg
youtube.com/watch?v=07PpcCt90TY
youtube.com/watch?v=NB9YIdQ3UjE
youtube.com/watch?v=HNQ0oKefiB8
youtube.com/watch?v=ttUjkeuSAIo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Were these people the same people who told Trump that climate change is bullshit?

>What has he done and why does it matter?

Almost single-handedly ruined industrial and goth music, for starters.
Also sowed the seeds for the rise of nu-metal and Hot Topic-core.
Also liberally pilfered from a variety of more innovative and visionary artists while diluting the forms that they worked in for MTV mass consumption.
Also desperately tried to assert himself as a "hip and intellectual" musician(fueled largely by his inferiority complex due to Nine Inch Nails' reputation as a faggy commercial synthpop band for teenagers among most underground/"alternative" music fans in the late 80s/early 90s), most prominently by associating himself with Coil, J.G. Thirlwell and the Warp Records crew(most of whom openly admitted to thinking that Nine Inch Nails were terrible, despite Reznor's label being involved with distributing their records in America) in the 90s.
Basically, Reznor did very little of any worth. The production on The Downward Spiral is excellent(the actual songwriting, not so much) and that's pretty much it.

oh come on, faith no more and helmet are to blame for nu-metal

not sure - it must be an american thing to worship something of mediocrity, which some acclaim with a slightly sub-pop status

The blame could be spread among several bands(Ministry being another one, as well as the Chili Peppers), but Helmet weren't actually that big and Faith No More were much bigger in Europe than they were in the US(aside from Epic, obviously). Their influence was limited.
Reznor was one of the paradigm shifters in that regard. He's more responsible for nu-metal than most people.

Also spawned Manson

>Also spawned Manson
i like to think that he is some sort of spawn, that existed only after a certain point as this suggests. rather than existing as a person beforehand.
fits i think.

nine inch nails are among the worst bands of the last few decades

all this desu

"waaah, why am i not being taken as seriously as sonic youth and the jesus lizard? why don't the cool people think i'm cool? waah"

maybe because sonic youth and the jesus lizard didn't discover marilyn manson and write a song as comical as wish, you doofus

He was one of the first artists to fuse industrial and rock in the way he did. Industrial rock as we know it wouldn't exist. Some may consider that a bad thing, some may consider it a good thing but regardless he has pretty much influenced every industrial artist since. Including artists outside of the mainstream. The small handful of artists that were making industrial rock before NIN all incorporated his sound into their own after. He's also influenced the image of industrial and goth culture and he's dabbled in idm with moderate success.

>muh politics
>muh trump
go back to facebook

You seem like you consume copious amount of soy. Can you confirm this? You also replied to a pasta, are you by chance... new?

t. charlie

wow bro you hate trump thats really brave bro have an upboat

>He was one of the first artists to fuse industrial and rock in the way he did.

>what is big black
>what is killing joke
>what is chrome
>what is godflesh
>what is a large chunk of the wax trax catalog

i could bring up a lot of the UK industrial/PE guys who went on to make rock music with heavy industrial influences but i admit those are too niche to be relevant

i know you have to be clueless about music in order to get anything out of NIN but come on dude, you've gotta be familiar with wax trax and killing joke at least
even fucking depeche mode played around with industrial elements from time to time

>You seem like you consume copious amount of soy.

and you are a bore, most likely an underage bore to boot
fucking nimrod

>most of whom openly admitted to thinking that Nine Inch Nails were terrible, despite Reznor's label being involved with distributing their records in America

it should also be mentioned that nothing records absolutely botched the US release of autechre's LP5 in terms of both the record's distribution and using the wrong artwork for it and that the boys were seriously pissed off about it

>lists bands from underground scene that didn't (still hasn't) impacted the masses

kek

killing joke did very well in the charts in europe and numerous wax trax artists had a lot of crossover success in nightclubs across both the US and europe
and i brought up depeche mode, didn't it

and i thought we were talking about the originators of a musical style, not the commercial success of that style

Most people ITT just seem to be talking shit about his music as NIN but in terms of "influence over shit" he's the creative director or something like that of Apple Music and also does cool shit like taking lesser known artists (to normalfag NIN fans at least) like oneohtrix point never and dillinger escape plan on tour with him. Also he's somewhat an autist when it comes to producing so a lot of industry people respect him for that

It's an analogy you fucking melonheads.
>trump's catchprase is; "people keep telling me this. [...]"
>Trump is obviously wrong about climate change being non-existent. That's not being political, it's pointing out a natural fact
>'These people' + being wrong to Trump + OP is wrong = my analogy

My point was to say OP was wrong. But hey, at least we know who you guys voted for :')

This means you too brainlet

lel thats why you felt the need to remind us that drumpf is l i t e r a l l y hitler in a thread completely unrelated to politics
i dont use this term often but you're a soyboy

fuck, i forgot the big boys themselves

youtube.com/watch?v=KrfOahWNT_A
youtube.com/watch?v=EYcmj4r-86I
youtube.com/watch?v=9jdsjX6u5Sg

youtube.com/watch?v=07PpcCt90TY
youtube.com/watch?v=NB9YIdQ3UjE
youtube.com/watch?v=HNQ0oKefiB8

THIS is how you fuse industrial and rock music

Denying climate change =/= being hitler

I thought it was kinda clever. I guess people in this board would rather go into a tantrum than use their midgetbrain. Like, seriously, people in this board get triggered faster then some kid in a school shooting. Get triggered faggot

>i thought we were talking about the originators of a musical style, not the commercial success of that style

commercially unsuccessful artists don't influence labels to sign more bands of a specific style, nor do they reach the masses to the point they are influencing new music generations later. If you can't understand the sociological impacts of an artist with 5M+ monthly streams vs a handful of artist that range from 1000-250k monthly streams, you are lost m8

>commercially unsuccessful artists don't influence labels to sign more bands of a specific style, nor do they reach the masses to the point they are influencing new music generations later.

i think the world would be a better place if static-x and powerman 5000 never got record contracts, don't you?

>what is list of 80s industrial rock bands
Most of those bands sounded nothing like NIN and I already said in my post that there were niche artists that did industrial rock before Reznor. I don't think you understand that there was little interest in that kind of music in the mainstream. Are you sure you don't want to name drop more bands to sound clever?
Oops, never mind.

>i could bring up a lot of the UK industrial/PE guys .... but i admit those are too niche to be relevant
They are to niche to be relevant to the mainstream and they sound nothing like NIN. Not to mention that as I said those artists would end up being influenced by Ministry and NIN.

>i know you have to be clueless about music in order to get anything out of NIN
Probably 95% of your industrial favorites either like some of his music or are neutral to him. The funny thing is I don't even listen to the man's music all that often. I prefer shit like Pain Teens, Big Black, Foetus or Street Sects.

>inb4 street sects is le pleb band because melon man likes them

>you've gotta be familiar with wax trax and killing joke at least even fucking depeche mode played around with industrial elements from time to time
Now, granted Ministry and many of the Wax Trax bands did come first and provided the blueprints for what Trent did but clearly industrial would have been relegated to the underground if not for him. That strain of 80s industrial was booming in the underground but your average guy didn't know who Al Jourgensen was. NIN was also the first band to successfully fuse industrial and pop sensibilities which in my opinion bettered the genre. Oh, and can you stop fellating Killing Joke? They're even more overrated than Trent.

Oh, you're right. You could have worded that better, though.

> NIN was also the first band to successfully fuse industrial and pop sensibilities
Depeche Mode did that first. They started incorporatig elements of industrial music into their sound after Martin Gore attended an Einstürzende Neubauten concert. Trent also cites DM as a huge influence.

you've been meme'd

Attached: 1516175486666.png (1400x569, 81K)

>I don't think you understand that there was little interest in that kind of music in the mainstream.

desu i have very little interest in mainstream music to begin with, which i suppose makes my participation in this thread a bit pointless
in any case, NIN's influence on the mainstream was still, like pointed out, primarily negative

>Not to mention that as I said those artists would end up being influenced by Ministry and NIN.

i'm not sure which bands you're thinking of here, but the ones i'm thinking of (primarily ramleh and skullflower) absolutely did not take any influence from nine inch nails

>Probably 95% of your industrial favorites either like some of his music or are neutral to him.

i seriously doubt that

>industrial would have been relegated to the underground if not for him.

industrial culture was already actively infiltrating the mainstream in much more interesting and subversive ways(ways which went beyond goofy music videos rotating on MTV) well before NIN turned up
as for industrial music, yeah i suppose you're right but again, nobody's benefiting from the existence of marilyn manson and coal chamber

>NIN was also the first band to successfully fuse industrial and pop sensibilities which in my opinion bettered the genre.

ah, we're gonna have to agree to disagree here

>Oh, and can you stop fellating Killing Joke?

never

Even before Depeche Mode, there's Cabaret Voltaire and their Micro-Phonies.

Ok, who is this supposed to be? It looks like Danzig but I don't think that's who it is.

Controlled Bleeding and Foetus were the bands I was thinking of when referring to underground bands being influenced by NIN.

Good point.

>what is chrome
chrome is a good ass band

well i did say "UK industrial/PE guys", both CB and thirlwell are americans
fair play though, i love CB and respect foetus

>the guitarist for Napalm Death
Gee, I have no idea who it is user. Maybe the Easter bunny?

Attached: 1513608822045.jpg (898x701, 107K)

Think it's Justin Broadrick (Godflesh / Jesu)

Justin K Broadrick, the frontman of Godflesh, God and Jesu. He's also been in a million different industrial and experimental bands.

It's Justin Broadrick.

Who still does great music, by the way. Compare the latest Godflesh album and his stuff as JK Flesh to Trent's Polybius pop.

This was released just a few months ago.
youtube.com/watch?v=ttUjkeuSAIo

Attached: music-lead-570.jpg (570x400, 47K)

Hive mind.

can't change the past gramps, nor can you change the fact NIN is a musical success for a reason

You fucking asked you stupid fuck

>some literal nobody
Yeah, never heard his name or any of his bands before in my entire life.

Thirlwell is Australian

Can you or another user last some of the groups he was watering down / ripping off? Don't know anything about the major players in goth or industrial.

*list

One of the bands he played in has been mentioned in this very thread.

i could talk for hours about what an outstanding musician broadrick is
fucking hours

instead i'll just recommend this CD from 2012, a somewhat freeform psychedelic/noise/black metal-influenced collaboration between broadrick and the duo of matthew bower and samantha davies(both of skullflower, black sunroof and a bunch of other shit)
it's very very very very good

Attached: R-3578390-1336501276.jpeg.jpg (597x592, 49K)

my bad

you're a sad, sad person

Attached: 1439921915115.jpg (352x352, 21K)

godflesh was never good tho

Who?

songs of love and hate is cool but techno animal is the superior side-project

bmup

sonic youth is about as valuable as the last shit you took, tool. try gaining some personal taste and not being force fed shit by faggot journalists

most if not all nu-metal singers cite mike patton as a prime influence