China Claims World’s Most Powerful Supercomputer 7th Year In A Row

China Claims World’s Most Powerful Supercomputer 7th Year In A Row

China has been named the home of the fastest supercomputer for the 7th year in a row.

But for the first time, and what makes this year’s choice unique, is the fact that this year’s winning computer has won using only Chinese designed processors.

The computer based in the National Supercomputing Center in Wuxi, and named Sunway TaihuLight was designed and developed by the Chinese National Research Center of Parallel Computer Engineering & Technology.

With an ability to process 93 petaflops that also makes it just about three times faster than the previous record setter, the Tianhe-2, also Chinese, which was clocked at being able to process 33.85 petaflops.

The TaihuLight can perform approximately a quadrillion calculations a second, which is much faster than the Tianhe-2, built with US designed processors can achieve. In theory, the TaihuLight could achieve peak a peak performance of 124 petaflops.

That China has been trying to develop a 100 petaflop system (or close enough for it not to really matter) isn’t exactly new, well, news, but it was widely anticipated that the Chinese would use US based Intel company chips to reach the fabled 100 petaflop barrier.

Other urls found in this thread:

deus-consortium.org/a-propos/dark-energy-universe-simulation-full-universe-run/numerical-parameters/
livescience.com/6392-9-super-cool-supercomputers.html
nasa.gov/image-feature/ames/nasa-supercomputer-simulations-help-improve-aircraft-propulsion-design
casc.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/IDCReportRealWorldExamplesOfBenefitsOfSupercomputers.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunway_TaihuLight
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ShenWei
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bad move on the part of the US

However, the US banned Intel from shipping the Xeon chips to Chinese super computer manufacturers last year because they claimed that last year’s winner, the Tianhe-2 was being used for predictive simulations to do with nuclear explosive experiments.

The irony of the embargo is that China just went ahead and upped its own processor development.

As well as claiming the top spot for the world’s most powerful supercomputer for yet another year, 2016 also marks the first year that China has surpassed the US for the first time as being the country with highest number of the world’s most powerful supercomputers, albeit only just. The US has 165, China has 167.

Other countries to make the top 10 included Japan, Germany, Switzerland, and Saudi Arabia.

How is it a race when America is talking about the distant future, while China is doing it RIGHT now?

The US ban has merely delayed China by a mere matter of months, and instead of one exascale with US tech, as China's upgrades would have ben this year, 2016 will use not just one domestically designed product, but likely a different one for each project, in addition to Chinese designed technology and advancements.

If anything, the US's schizophrenic, paranoid foreign policies have just helped speed up Chinese advanced tech development and adoption, and caused the US lose quite a contract and gain competitors.

Well the Chinese children go to school 7 days a week so.

Including homework, yes. Chinese always have endless homework to do.

Smarter than you are.

China owns the US.

The US is owned by China.

good for China... i hoping to see some great advances in medical and tech fields in the coming years...

so what the fuck does it compute

This is great news. Should mean the market is more competitive now.

Can it play Cyrsis 1?

hello there mr. ping pong ching ching, how much are you being paid for this?

Hey you chink retard--we can all see that you are the same poster.

50 cent per post

Based on technology stolen from US and European firms over and over again.

The reason technology leaks occur is so that competition and development fuel economic growth, otherwise the US would stagnate atop the #1 pedestal and foreign countries can not use their population and resources to drive the creation of wealth.

Can it support my minecraft server?

1) It's literally the design of the KNL
2) It's geared towards Linpack (useless shit). With HPCG this computer performs rather bad (it achieves 0.5% of that perf, against 3% for other ones).
3) It's interconnect seems rather bad
4) The USA is building Aurora, a supercomputer with superior Xeon Phi (72 cores) chips, it will have more node, and Omnipath Gen 2.
5) Such big SC are useless. We do not know how to use them well because the failure rate is high, the amount of parallelism required is giganormous, ... Even the top european and american codes wouldn't scale well to such cases so chinks codes are out of the question.
6) What is impressive though is it's enegry consumption. Same one as Tianhe2, which means 3 times more efficient. That's because the precessors are really simple to the max and a relatively low amount of performance, but this is the big achievement of this SC. The chip seem too simple to get actual nice performance with more memory bound code or with lots of branches etc...

As an example, please realize that codes such as DEUS FUR (Full Universe Run) were run on relatively low amount of cores, because scaling is a FUCKING BITCH. 75.000 cores vs the 10.000.000 this machine provides.
deus-consortium.org/a-propos/dark-energy-universe-simulation-full-universe-run/numerical-parameters/

We see you are the same poster in this entire thread, chink. Get yourself a proxy or throw a few sheckels to the JIDF to learn how to properly shill.

Ballistic missile reentry simulations. Object radar signature detection. Nuclear explosion simulations, ... That's what Tianhe 2 was for anyway, the chinese are mostly doing military research and have overall very weak research output in the field.

At least the K computer of Japan serves for dank blood flow and full heart simulation (RIKEN's work).

Kek, buttpaine much

Didn't the US nuked that computer like a year ago?

>Still cannot run crysis 3 on ultra

Soon we'll actually be able to play Dwarf Fortress.

clarification: "Leftist" technology stolen

They're and you're welcomed

given how much you guys rely on western companies to give you the edge, is it not worrying that the western world is growingly increasingly individualistic (to a harmful extent) and throwing aside the reasons as to why these companies stay in the western world?

Do you want to see Intel, amd and NIVIDIA move to china?

Dermezel, is that you?

Hello chink internet defense force

can it run minesweeper?

They always "claim" shit but its never real or its real but it doesn't work.

Cheap chink shit btfo

damn how meny gtx 1080s are in there

>crysis still looks like a slideshow on low specs

None. If anything it'd be Pascal P40 or K80.

lol, that was literally my only post in the thread. Strange how many people in this thread feel threatened by this when really it should be good all around.

Is Linpack somehow less useful than Lapack (my understanding is that they both implement the same shit)?

Do you know what they're doing with it?

Lol what are they even going to use it for? Processing takeaway orders?

"Aanndd theeennn?"

Linpack, in fact HPL or High Performance Linpack is a benchmark basically computing a LU factorization (partial pivoting) fully optimized with MPI etc bullshit statically (berk, static is so 80s) so that it's somewhat portable, but you need to tune everything to adapt things to your core when you port it. The aim of HPL is precisely to measure a computer's performance in somewhat the best conditions. The reason is that this algorithm generates a ton of very sweet matrix multiplications which are the most efficient thing you can do on current computers. Basically you load a matrix, of size n times n elements (n^2) and you do an order of (n^3) operations, so you have very few data movements compared to the amount of operations you do. Since data movement sucks, and keeps sucking more and more in comparison to modern core performance evolution this is very easy to get beast like performance out of it.

Lapack is something else entirely. It's an interface for complex blas operations which has many different implementations (vendors have their own lapack implementation, like Intel for example inside the MKL library). So, inside that you find some generic LU implementation in various forms, you find cholesky factorization and whatnot else. The goal of this library is to have a generic interface and suitable implementations to easily solve mathematical problems by combining all of those algorithms together to make more complex operations. Most probably internally Linpack uses some order of lapack calls btw.

Note that both Lapack and Linpack come from Jack Dongarra, the american researcher which pioneered many of such things (efficient maths on top of modern computers, and eventually supercomputers).

what is buttpaine

The people in this thread claiming samefag, and that China is butthurt, are seemingly less intelligent/more annoying than anyone who is samefagging, etc.

Who cares though? What do supercomputers even do besides beat people at chess 30 years ago?

China will be #1 in everything, in about ~30 years. This fact is a threat to US national security, so fun times ahead.

They're used for almost anything in our world.

The cars you drive, the wheels of your cars, the tires of your car, the planes you fly, the medicine that saves you, the military that protects you, the banking economy, all of this (and a ton more) are optimized thanks to supercomputers of some sort and highly advanced simulation codes.

livescience.com/6392-9-super-cool-supercomputers.html
nasa.gov/image-feature/ames/nasa-supercomputer-simulations-help-improve-aircraft-propulsion-design
casc.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/IDCReportRealWorldExamplesOfBenefitsOfSupercomputers.pdf

>lol, that was literally my only post in the thread
>10 posts by this id

seriously, if china is paying you to shitpost then I want in

>China will be #1 in everything, in about ~30 years.

That's what they said about the Japanese in the 1980s too

this kek, i laughed at the end of american psycho when they are saying japan will own most of the US in 10 years (American psycho is set in 1988)

They won't. Their economy is crumbling. They have been in a recession for many years and are successfully hiding it with lies. They are unable to keep their population down, there will be some sort of actual population they're just delaying it with all the reforms. Epicurianism on such a grand scale will only create a lot of desire for more freedom (and degeneracy).

Their collectivities have massive debts (which are hidden to the world because these aren't properly reported). They have several bubbles ready to explode in their face, most notable the construction and housing bubble. They have actual ghost towns and even in beijing they created grand standing apartment buildings which are mostly vacant and not properly reimbursed. They push those on the shoulders of gullible old people.

Well, the USA is in a similar states but it has more arguments than China for its stability.

Im sure the results are faked.
China cant achive anything without faking it or stealing designs from other countries.

>copying the equipment from other countries and replacing it to get your name on it
Sound like China

>93 petaflops

To compare the human brain is thought to be able to process at 15 petaflops per second. At only 15 watts of power.

The amount of flops isn't so important it's what you do with it. We waste our brain for our eyes and we do not have precise control over its use. You can do factually what you want with a computer.

I mean, it's dandy and all but the comparison is quite meaningless.

Jesus christ this is embarassing, did you get dropped as a baby or something

>ids on Sup Forums
This is the weirdest troll I've seen in a while.
I see. I've only worked with machine learning stuff that requires some BLAS implementation and Lapack. I had thought that Linpack was just the predecessor for Lapack that ran faster on older architectures.
Looked up the wiki page
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunway_TaihuLight
>Purpose
>Oil prospecting, life sciences, weather forecast, industrial design, drug research
Neat.

lolwat?

itt:
fat americans mad because China is stripping away their superpower status

>You can do factually what you want with a computer.

Naturally.

Processing visual information takes up 1/8th of our brain while for a computer you just need a camera, some ram and an old beat up 386.

We cant use our whole brain completely and we have no access to optimize processes, with a computer we do and many low levele functions of the human brain have already been replicated and have seen their efficiency raised by a million percent.

The trouble is putting it all together in one functioning unit which can autonomously serve a purpose.

Sure buddy

I attended ISC, the conference where the information on the chink machine was published. I work in this field, though not on huge machines.

Basically everyone at the conference says both the US and China and possibly larger European countries have bigger machines that they keep secret. Also, most banks have systems that would easily be top 100 but they don't bother running LINPACK and giving away details on their infrastructure. The only people thinking the top500 list is important for geo-politics are not working in high performance computing.

But can it even touch Uchiha Madara?

>ids on Sup Forums
>This is the weirdest troll I've seen in a while.

Probably because you've never been here dumb-dumb

I've been here since 2004. Though moot implemented ids on the board for some time they were taken away and we are currently on forced anonymous. Only containment boards have IDs right now.

Hehe, China numba 1 soon and not just DESIGNATED like India.

Enjoy your H.Clinton Murricans aka Merkel Turbo v.2.0

Please stop this. I don't know if you really are a pathetic excuse for a paid China-shill or someone who's merely pretending to be one but come on.

>I've been here since 2004

Yeah sure buddy, you really act like it. You must be telling the truth, especially since Sup Forums has only been around for a couple of years.

Fuck of faggot.

>lol, that was literally my only post in the thread. Strange how many people in this thread feel threatened by this when really it should be good all around.

hey buddy, you just blow in from stupid town?

all this talking is making me thirsty, and hungry.

>Sup Forums has only been around for a couple of years.
kek

I started lurking at the end of 05. I don't even know when it started before that. So stfu summer fag and gtfo.

>HAHA JUST KIDDING IM ONLY PRETENDING TO BE RETARDED SO CLEVER XD

how lame

>durr the sky is green look at how dumb I am

>14 posts by this ID

look I can troll too!

*clears throat*
>politicians don't only care about themselves

supercomputing hasn't been a la mode in years. Aside from select massively parallelizable problems, most tasks won't be solved efficiently by supercomputers

>CHINA CLAIMS

CHINA CLAIMS A LOT OF THINGS

LIKE NO LEAD IN CHILDRENS TOYS

Nigga please.
It's not fashionable anymore but any big industry player has HPC. It's also used to drill oil (locate where to drill). It's literally everywhere, in any field.

But can it run Dwarf Fortress in a 10k year generated largest possible map, in a 16x16 embark area?

Wat? I don't get you.

I'm just lettin you know man, Sup Forums has been around for more then a couple of years.

But keep raging on.

So what are those Chinese chips?

Just a customized ARM design, or did they actually design the ALU's themselves?

-China claims NOTHING HAPPENED on 6/4/1989.
-China claims they are defending human rights.
-China claims Mao is the "savior" of China.
-China claims One Nation Two System is all and well in Hong Kong.
-China claims we sent "volunteer" to help North Korea in Korea War.
-China claims they've shut down all labor camps
-China claims they overthrow the Republic in 1951.
-China claims no human right lawyer has ever been arrest.
-China claims there are no corruption in the CCP, EVER!
Would you like me to continue ?

神威 shouda chouda become "God SWAG" not "Sunway".
mainlander engrlish

>CHINA
>DESIGNING ANYTHING THEMSELVES
>NOT LITERALLY STEALING EVERYTHING FROM THE WEST VIA SPYING AND ESPIONAGE THEN SLAPPING SOME HALF ASSED SHIT TOGETHER AND IGNORING ALL PATENTS

They said they designed everything from the bottom up starting with very simple chips that were pretty bad back then.

I'm doubtful. Mostly because the stats (64c, 1.45 or so GHz) etc are very similar to the Xeon Phi. I'd like to know if it uses a ring bus to link the cores as the first version or a 2D tile like configurable one as now. Also what about MCDRAM.

To summarize, the cores themselves probably, the whole chip I'm really doubtful.

>Country that makes the worlds computer chips
>Has fastest computer

Well gee whoulda thunk it?

do you actually think anyone is falling for this?

ah whatever I'm technically feeding you replies

Actually, I looked it up myself and it is their own design.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ShenWei

It's RISC so clearly nothing like Xeon.

Taiwan though.

I don't think mainland China makes any chips for the western market.

>chinks capable of innovation
Stripping US tech to the core and refurbishing it with a chink label doesn't make it your own.

You know Sup Forums has IDs, right?

the autism is strong with this one also sage

>This thread

what is the purpose of these machines then ? what do they do with such tremendous horsepower avalaible ?

>mfw the 93-petaflop Chinese Supercomputer is actually the one doing all this samefagging

ALL HAIL OUR NEW CHINESE A.I. OVERLORD

to spy on you while you masterbate to your loli GILF bestiality bondage MLP pr0n

So they can allegedly make the most powerful supercomputers, but can't crack 1st gen stealth?

Wew lad, it's fucking nothing.

Having the most powerful supercomputers simply means that you've put the largest amount of processors in a single room. There is nothing impressive about that. A decentralized network would be as efficient, but nobody would claim that it is supercomputer.

Generally you rent a supercomputer by the hour.
So not just one thing, but many tasks.

This also means that it's not so important how fast it is.
A slower supercomputer that's cheaper to rent could be fine as long as you don't need your results very fast.

>hardware numbers and specs

Now post relevant results attributed to this hardware.

But it hasn't figured out ID's yet, so clearly not strong AI.
We can sleep safely.

Well, We....at least I do my best to not buy/use anything electronic that is made by Chinese company.First being that most tech head in Mainland have deep connection with PLA and CCP(Especially Hua Wei)Second, with most western electronic available rather cheaply for us there's really no reason apart from finical problem that you will want to buy a Mainland made electronic(especially take into consideration that they do not have good quality and reputation over past years)

ITS EASY TO MAKE THE FASTEST SUPERCOMPUTER

JUST >ADD MOAR COARS

ONLY CHINKS GIVE A SHIT ANYMORE, TFLOP/WATT IS MORE RELEVANT

PLUS THEIR LAST STATED SPEC ON SHENWEI IS 65NM PROCESS TECHNOLOGY, WHICH IS FUCKING OLD AND BUSTED

INTEL IS ON 14NM MOVING TO 10NM

What other results?
It's a computer, it computes stuff.

Read the thread pls.
I'll also add finding oil as a notable example. All industries use supercomputers of some sort.

He probably means research articles output. Which the chinese are bad at. Even Tianhe2 was very unheard of in the field and linked to nothing particular.

yes this we be a useful use for this supercomputer, for mankind and all that.

Aren't RAM and bus speeds the new bottleneck anyway? What's the point of more and more processing power when the most exciting advances in the field of computer science are related to big data mining, parsing semi-structured content, natural language processing, [insert memory-intensive text-based process here], etc.? Surely for numerical simulations in engineering and science, there would be diminishing returns from an ever increasing number of FLOPS.