WE DID IT Sup Forums

WE DID IT Sup Forums

Attached: Capture.jpg (1082x837, 117K)

Other urls found in this thread:

showbiz411.com/2018/03/13/record-sales-plunge-as-top-artists-justin-timberlake-u2-even-taylor-swift-sell-fractions-of-previous-numbers
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

its just going to streaming how is this news

>Record sales are being touted these days as on a comeback. All you hear is: streaming will save us.

>But things are pretty dire. For example, Justin Timberlake’s “Man of the Woods,” touted so highly on the Super Bowl and a hit in its first week, has been a total sales stiff. As of this week, “MoW” has sold just 285,000 copies.

>Contrast this with Timberlake’s “20/20 Experience,” which was the best selling album of 2013 with 2.5 million copies. (Luckily, Justin had a smash single last year with “Can’t Stop the Feeling.”)

color me slightly hapy

Attached: jonlent2.png (745x684, 613K)

Even worse: U2’s “Songs of Experience” has taught us nothing. It had great songs, like Timberlake, but they didn’t save the situation. “Songs” has sold just 250,000 copies total. Remember U2? Their sales used to be huge.

In both cases, the only way to make money is touring. Timberlake and U2 are committed to long tours.

Even Taylor Swift has had trouble. Her “Reputation” album has sold 2 million copies, which sounds great. But it’s far less than her “1989” album, which did 5 million total since late 2014. “Reputation” is well past its peak and won’t do anything remotely like that in the end.

Columbia Records in particular is suffering. While parent Sony Music has kept up on the charts with the Epic label, and RCA, Columbia’s name has not been on the charts in months. Their Harry Styles solo album has sold only 375,000 copies to date— no amount of PR or touring has moved it close to 500,000 copies and gold status.

This past week’s chart should alarm everyone. The top selling CD/paid download was “The Greatest Showman” with just 38,453 according to BuzzAngle. Including streaming, the top seller was “Black Panther” soundtrack with 78,000 copies.

Why does anyone in the world care about U2 anymore?

>The top selling CD/paid download was “The Greatest Showman”
OH NO NO NO

Attached: 6580-000180.jpg (1024x1019, 335K)

i mean if you really wanna get into it those artists have been relevant for too long
itd be like wondering why lady gaga isnt selling like she used to
we just dont have the same mega stars at the top like we used to

Bi music?

what is biying music?

How do musicians feed themselves? Especially niche or "washed up" acts?

i think about this too
some people just seem to get money from nowhere

Are we supposed to be shocked people dont buy music in 2018?

My personal hot take is music is stagnate right now because the powers that be have pushed poptamism to its limits.

What we need now is something diffrent. Way diffrent. Something that isnt rap, EDM, indie, or pop music.

Yes, its time.

Its time to grow into metal

Attached: metal general bingo.jpg (1524x1716, 325K)

"no"

Attached: image.png (477x449, 200K)

>one of the most stagnate genres
>wonders why its not more popular

>Timberlake

Kids these days don't know who this is.

>U2

Should have retired 20 years ago. Literally stale garbage that even my boomer father got sick of.

>Taylor Swift's new album

Was trash. Old Taylor sold records because she was fun and wholesome, now she is singing about her career and making endless bitter songs.

Metal already achieved it's full potential, there's nowhere for it to go

the justin and taylor albums are failing because they were awful. and the u2 album is failing because they're u2.

end of story.

Attached: south-africa-u2s-bono-apologises-over-bullying-sexism-claims-at-charity~2.jpg (383x383, 33K)

>Including streaming, the top seller was “Black Panther” soundtrack with 78,000 copies.

how the fuck does streaming equate to sales? wtf are music companies literally going to try and gaslight their fans that streaming now equals purchasing?

Kids know JT. He was in Trolls.

Well, you know what i mean.

There needs to be a shift in music. Something dramatic. A new sound. Something different from pop and pop rap and EDM.

Anything really. I think it would be nice if pop music became a bit jazzy or it finally fused with vaporwave.

Vaporwave replacing trap would be good

>>Timberlake
>Kids these days don't know who this is.

he just played the fucking superbowl.... wtf?

>Taylor Swift's new album

Was trash. Old Taylor sold records because she was fun and wholesome, now she is singing about her career and making endless bitter songs.

literally every taylor swift song is about "IM A GURL AN IMMA DO GURL STUFF, AINT DAT RITE LADIES?"

Attached: GiddyCrispLice.webm (1280x720, 558K)

He looks like a gay Robin Williams.

There is still one thing left to be done.

Fusing metal with rave music and creating the metal madchester

Attached: Bez's_Madchester_Anthems_Sorted_Tunes_from_Back_in_the_Day.jpg (300x300, 37K)

Didn't they try that with screamo?

Attached: metal fans.jpg (764x852, 238K)

exactly, theres only so many rifs one can do and still be interesting & fun to listen to, without going full autism with shit like mars volta or something

when most ppl still think of master of puppets when you bring up your genre you know its out dated

cause you sure as fuck arent going to list off nu-metal bullshit to praise the genre which has been the face of metal for 20 years now

there is a shift, hiphop JUST became the top genre for the first time in its history over the last year

EDM is pretty much non existent, all the pop songs no longer have EDM bullshit attached to it

actually right now metal is in its hipster face you tourist

Attached: deafheaven.jpg (770x770, 135K)

>theres only so many rifs one can do and still be interesting & fun to listen to,
Incorrect, it's just that there's so much gold out there already it's pointless for new generations to even try

well yeah, and people are fucking tired of rap because its overexposed and there are 1000000 guys named lil nigger with face tattoos.

all three of those releases are terrible even by pop music standards. Justin Timberlake tried to do a fucking pop country album, but keep the electronic beats that's a good idea :). U2's album sounds like something a bunch of session musicians would put together if they formed a band. Taylor Swift's album is intentionally underwritten and lo-fi and it doesn't work for her, everybody hates the lyrics too

>soy grins abound

>he just played the fucking superbowl.... wtf?

Nobody cares about some old man playing at the superbowl. My little niece even thinks of Taylor Swift as a classic artist and she is that teen demographic that supposedly buys all the records.

That's the problem, anyone who wasn't alive in the 90s won't have a clue who he is or how big he was.

>literally every taylor swift song is about "IM A GURL AN IMMA DO GURL STUFF, AINT DAT RITE LADIES?"

Not really, no :/

The average listener can't articulate the genres that most current pop music comprises. I honestly think you're giving too much credit. They're not critical of things they're not aware of and they're unbelievably complacent about listening to the same songs for ages.
The industry will look for the next big hit and innovation but I think genre stagnation is overstated.

>6 strings
>14 frets

Hip Hop's popularity right now is because of the current masculinity crisis

I think they do it by 1000 song plays= 1 album purchase.

>7 strings
>21 frets

They said the same thing about rock.

current rap is proably the most unmasculine it has ever been. Its nothing but drake talking about being sad or like a guy with face tatttos talking about xanax and being sad. also they are wearing dresses

this is real interesting. where do you find this kind of info? im a law student working on intellectual property in entertainment.

yeah but they put out little dark age! that's a guaranteed big seller.

so strange that lil wayne sold 5 million copies of the carter 3 and ten years later the biggest popstar in the world can only get 1 or 2 tops.

KIds young enough to enjoy trolls aren’t taking an active role in music listening. JT just doesn’t appeal to the young teens that drive the charts

There's a shitload of different possibilities in those 6 strings, playing the same note on 2 different strings has a different tonality and same with 2 of the same notes at different pitches, that's why so much music was spearheaded by it in the 20th century

i think this started about 3-4 years ago. it applies to youtube, spotify, and a couple other platforms.

unless all the streaming platforms are now paying each artist individually per individual stream and by the time someone streams a song 1000 times it would equate to the 1 dollar it costs to purchase the song on itunes...

then its completely bullshit, if it DOES equal out, then im okay with that i guess

U2 are way past thier prime. Are they going to be gen x's rolling stones where they keep touring even when they are skeletons?

What u2 needs to do is go back to thier post punk roots, maybe collaborate with some modern indie and rock artists.
Tame impala, Alabama shakes, father john misty.

Not kendrick lamar.

Justin timberlake is old. All those late 90's and early 2000's pop stars are over. for now. Give it another 20 years for the nostalgia train to come roaring back.

it was an article on drudge

showbiz411.com/2018/03/13/record-sales-plunge-as-top-artists-justin-timberlake-u2-even-taylor-swift-sell-fractions-of-previous-numbers

This reads like a Twitter funnyman tweet. Rap is as masculine as it’s always been. Still about fucking murdering and money.

justin timberlakes career lasted way longer than it was supposed to, no other former boy band member had a lasting career, he was literally the only one. he can do what he wants now he's got nothing to prove

no it isnt. Its about being mad on twitter and being a sad boy. Trust me faggot. I was a kid when rap was actually a black genre and gangsta and not enjoyed by faggot white kids

You're telling me good albums sell good and bad albums sell bad? What a scoop!

Attached: ImagineMyShock.gif (500x350, 477K)

>tfw popular culture is dying
>everyone is more into politics now
>there's a war coming
>KILL KILL KILL

Attached: 6a2.png (600x610, 565K)

just an indication of the quality of well reasoned journalism that they provide over at Showbiz411™

This is what happens when you pirate music, everyone. We are about to see a musical disaster.

>>everyone is more into politics now
>>there's a war coming
>>KILL KILL KILL

thats why we should bring back metal

I wouldn't really mind it. I grew up liking rock music and now all they do is promote rap and pop music.

Music industry genocide best day of my life

Attached: richfags.jpg (1280x931, 236K)

>That get
SCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG

add Eminem and Katy Perry to that list as well

It seems that Drake, Rihanna, and Kendrick Lamar are the only artists to come out before the mid-to-late 2010s that can still sell records and still chart high

Kanye and Beyonce still have critical acclaim and influence, but they aren't selling like they used to and none of their recent songs are able to crack the Top 10

Nice get, daffodils

this is a transition period.
By 2020 alot of people that got big in the 2010's or 2000's arent gonna make it

CALL THE FOCKIN COPS

It's time to stop regarding music as a library of works categorized by genre and start seeing it as a language. Anything short of that, and you allow the "powers that be" to sell you the next stylistic flavor of the month and get restricted by artificial and contrived market demands.

yeah, but it would be really great if metal came back

Attached: metal spurdo.jpg (404x501, 59K)

I want shimmering chorus effect on 12-string guitar to come back. Fuck I miss the 90s.

You're looking in the wrong places. Metal is just fine.

BLACK AGAINST WHITE
YELLOW VERSUS RED
THE FIGHTING WON'T STOP
UNTIL WE'RE DEAD
UNTIL WE'RE ALL DEAD

Please don't embarrass us dude.

Metal is better off not being mainstream by now

>RAAAAAAAAACCCCCEEEE WAAAAAARRR
>THERE'S GONNA BEA RAAA~AAAACCEE WA~AAAAARR

what the fuck is that webm. disgusting

Don’t use a music board if you don’t even know what screamo music actually is, you probably call film soundtracks classical too, don’t you?

the music industry is dead
long live music

Pretty sure most less well known musicians work full time jobs alongside music.

the way musicians make music now

1. merchandising
2. touring
3. letting your music get licensed for tv, movie, commercial use
4. selling out and becoming a spokesperson for (insert brand)
5. Soundtracks
6. Making own label and enslaving fellow musicians

We need shoegaze

this