was giving them money a bad idea?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=drKUptCXav0
youtu.be/RF5ROEIGnf8
topgear.wikia.com/wiki/Specials
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>muh chemistry

Kill those guys already.

I never watched Top Gear but i kinda want to watch The Grand Tour because i like cars and it's a recent show

Worth a watch?

Apart from the second episode, it's all great.

as if TG didn't have a giagantic bufget

the edgelord

If you haven't watched ANYTHING from TG than I would suggest starting there. The specials are the best episodes.

Anything worth watching from the last three episodes?

>GT
>TG backwards

No

It wouldn't have been if they spent that money on specials. Instead they used it for scripted bullshit that everybody hated. Such a wasted opportunity.

Watch seasons 4-12 of Top Gear and all the specials except the India one. The Grand Tour is good but nowhere close to old Top Gear levels of good.

TG always had scripted elements. TGT's just fall a little flat.

I'm not sure if they're still catching their stride, but most segments are just not very good. I'd rather them do something like "buy a used German car under 3000 Euro and drive across Slovakia" rather than the ones like "yeah we put meat/a garden on a car to make it environmentally friendly". Most jokes like that (celebrity brain crash, American driver with Americanisms) are just not very funny and then get beaten way into the ground.

The special was pretty good. Not as good (in my eyes) as the past 10 or so TG specials. Although, that may be me remembering them through rose tinted glasses.

The last 10 or so specials from TG are all comfy and entertaining.

>that may be me remembering them through rose tinted glasses
Nah, it's just not as good. I rewatched most of Top Gear including all the specials recently and the TGT Namibia special can't compare to Top Gear's Polar, Bolivia, Vietnam and both Africa specials. Still much better than India, though.

I'm still sad about India. I think it could have been really good, but they just dropped the ball completely.

It is wearing on me that all they do is shit on Americans and Britain is so great despite the fact that MG is chinese and Coventry is owned by Indians.

Aside from a couple of dodgy eps at the beginning, I would say TGT has generally been an improvement on the last TG series.

hows the premiere stand up to the rest of the series?

Poorly, I would say.

If I hadn't seen any of TGT yet, personally, I would start at the last episode (11) and work backwards.

I would say to season 16.

I was hoping when TGT was announced it would just be episodes of nothing but specials. Every episodes or 2 episodes they would just pick a location, grab a somewhat cheap or modified car, and just drive.

I think they tried to follow the formula of Top Gear.

The difference between their recent special and ones of old was that they always had something to keep the special interesting.

Some of them had a goal, like build a bridge over Kwai, or find the Nile, or be the first to the north pole. Others had vast changes in scenery, culture and challenges to overcome, like Bolivia and Botswana. The Namibia one was just drive from A to B, through nothing but sand. The only town they went to was deserted af, and had nothing special in it, and the only time they actually had to do something was at the end when they build the carriage over the river.

>last episode
DUDEMASERATISLMAO
>two weeks ago
DUDEENVIRONMENTLMAO
>3-4 weeks ago
waste time in Botswana in beach buggies

Really dropped the ball there

They're trying to make Top Gear without many of the things that made Top Gear so great.

It's pretty bad.

the need to droop the car reviews and stick to only doing road trips

maybe it's because I'm an americuck but I find nothing funny about their blatantly scripted "banter"

Ditch the american
ditch celebrity brain crash
tone down the scripted comedy, or at least make it less obvious. live banter is better
make conversation street more like the TG news instead of a jeremy clarkson monologue
more road trips
more silly races and challenges on the test track
also I feel like the soundtrack is very lackluster compared to old Top Gear's, but I guess they don't have the same access to music the BBC had

Scripted banter is never good. Watch top gear ca 2004-2008, that was good banter.

I enjoyed it back then, you could tell they were being real. now it feels like I'm watching some kind of weird theater where they're all playing these established characters, not themselves. it doesn't help that all three of them are shit actors.

>make conversation street more like the TG news instead of a jeremy clarkson monologue

the problem with making it the news is that the grand tour shows are sometimes filmed months in advance so they can't really talk about recent events or news, with Top Gear the studio show was filmed just 5 days before airing

>tfw new season of top gear will be better than Grand Tour

youtube.com/watch?v=drKUptCXav0

Is fucking Evans gone now?

yes

What does liking cars have to do with TG or TGT?

Because they do car tests. You will enjoy them more if you like cars.

>These three will never have enough radio content to lull me to sleep every night like The Ricky Gervais Show
Feels pretty bad
youtu.be/RF5ROEIGnf8

Grand Tour is pretty good. Not as good as the glory days of Top Gear, but pretty good.

I wish they'd do more special like stuff, though. Those were always the best ones.

Vietnam special is best special, too, followed closely by Botswana and Bolivia. Then the River Nile and Burma and Polar not far behind those, then Middle East, then India way down at the bottom because it was pretty damn shit.

They need to do a special through Russia in old Sovjet cars.

Don't reply to me.

What was wrong with it? I saw it years ago so can't really recall much about it (in terms of negative stuff).

break down within 2 km of Moscow, end of episode?

Ok.

Show peaked with the polar special and has been going downhill since S10

Tgt isn't very good outside of reviews and the buggy special

Thank the BBC for that but it goes deeper I think their time in the sun has passed and now they are just sitting there getting sunburned.

The last 3 seasons of tguk where pretty forgettable

It doesn't help they all hate each other now as they all admitted and it shows especially Hammond who's cranky 24/7

No, old commie cars are much more reliable than some of the shit they've driven in other specials. Keep in mind they use those cars in Siberia during the winter where it's -50 for five months. In fact, let them drive through Siberia in the winter. That's one hell of a challenge.

The first EPS with Evans where absolutely brutally bad I still can't watch them only clips with Chris harris

I was thinking this but they are too doddily and old to do that sort of stuff now.

A shame because the last couple of years where pissed up the wall

there's absolutely nothing entertaining about a group of embittered coworkers pretend to like each other and tell the same played out, hackneyed jokes over and over again

Here's another idea. Let them drive on the Silk Road through countries like Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan in old Soviet offroad vehicles. That's a region they've never been to, and it's a very interesting area with lots of history, culture and god tier nature. Could be one hell of a trip.

I tried watching Chris Evans' TG but I had to close it after hearing his introduction to the episode. Something about his voice is so irritating and insufferable

ha.

you're telling this to a guy who was riding in a Moskvich 402 when its drive shaft (or crank shaft? can't remember, I was ~8 years old) flew out of the car with the sound of a peace religion bomb.

>lose job
>bros show solidarity and quit with you
>a few months of no work pass
>"hey, remember money? i rather liked that"
>"want to do a shit netflix show and just pocket everything?"
>"right then"

>bros show solidarity and quit with you
I think it's more like they knew Top Gear without Clarkson would be shit and the two of them wouldn't be able to keep it afloat without him

>>aka how to get sued by the bbc

you fucking moron. its as much tg as they can make it without ending up in court. mongoloid. learn to love change.. you cant stop it anyways.

fuck you rus
shouldnt you be hacking amerikuka or something?

Explain how any of those things would give the BBC grounds to sue them. I doubt the BBC has exclusive rights to road trips or fucking spontaneous interaction between presenters.

No. I never watched them for the car information, I will never buy one of those super cars, they are completely impractical. What I watch for is the expensive shenanigans of an old git trio. Their reviews are shit for 'average' cars because they rarely go in depth and make a few glancing nods at it, each person will find the handling and comfort different in each car they drive, it's always best to take them for a test drive yourself. And I simply do not care for reviews of old shitty cars from 20+ years ago, they are not part of my nostalgia set.

Even if much of the anti-electric, glorification of fuel guzzlers etc is for comedy, it's not something that paints them in a good light.

>supercringe
Its so plastered on it hurts.

You dont have any real friends do you?

>I'd rather them do something like "buy a used German car under 3000 Euro and drive across Slovakia" rather than the ones like "yeah we put meat/a garden on a car to make it environmentally friendly"
This

Watching them drive shit cars is infinitely more entertaining than watching them drive luxury cars, too. The only good eps from TG with luxuries are when they drove them through cities and dealt with crowds.

This latest episode was really lazy.

I'm going to assume it sucked because May had a broken arm.

I sort of hate the specials, they're fun to watch, but you know there's a fucking army of production crew members waiting to fix any problem, the audience is lied to about the time scale and much of it feels scripted.

May just can't do it anymore. He's gone on record saying he'll fulfill his current contract with Amazon but after that he's done.

it isn't just for comedy, electrical cars are shit, impractical and have a terrible environmental cost. People at home completely agree.

Electric gets you massive torques and response time which is great. It's why most of the top supercars are hybrids.

yes

marvellous throw by hammond

Why are you people pretending it's any worse than their later seasons of Top Kek? It's exactly the same, forced banter, ridiculous challenges. All TGT is missing is more shitty car challenges, they're always driving supershit.

that was May, not Hammond.

Is he "our" guy?

Why is the manlet the only one with a wife?

How do you even tell if banter is forced anyway?

>electrical cars are shit, impractical and have a terrible environmental cost
Battery powered cars do. Hydrogen has all the benefits of battery cars and none of the drawbacks, it's the future.

watch the true patrician's car show instead

Yes

WAT THE FUCK? HEHAHAHAHAHAHA THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN
WHAT IS THIS FROM? HOW DO I LEAVE COMMENTS
HOW DID HE GET AWAY WITH IT HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Are the TG specials the last episode from each season? I have seen a few and I want to pick them up.

Are you okay user?

Like that episode where May and Clarkson were trying to have a cultural trip and hammond kept interrupting them, you know the writers are just making them play caricatures of themselves.

>car show
>asians
wew lad
What's funny is how awkward he is about women, not the post in itself.

Oh I know those parts are scripted, but how do you tell during say, the old Top Gear news bits? Like I know they have points they need to touch on based on the specificity of the pictures they bring up on the television, but how much after that is scripted?

When one of them makes a joke and waits a second for the audience to laugh

plis respond

they're not always the last episode, no

topgear.wikia.com/wiki/Specials

I unironically want to buy and drive Oliver.

The new Dacia Sandero?